Is Castrol really discontinuing EDGE 0W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Perhaps it is not being discontinued (or maybe just in Canada, Garak?)

I don't know. That's really strange, and perhaps they have changed their minds due to an outcry or something. Someone here, besides me, confirmed it with Castrol USA. And, Wakefield Canada Inc. specifically told me that, "Castrol 0w-30 A3/B4 is currently an available product in Canada. It is a discontinued product in the United States." Then, they gave me the list of retailers, and so forth However, that letter was dated January 26, 2017, and you have spoken to them more recently.

I know there's some wisdom to tightening up their A3/B4 line on one hand, but it would be strange to offer it only in Canada and not in the U.S. One would think that the sales numbers would have dropped off a cliff with 0w-40 A3/B4 being in much more sensible container sizes on both sides of the border, but if there is still a lot of loyal support for the product and it meets the relevant specifications, there's no reason not to sell it.

On the downside, up here, Castrol 1 L bottles are much, much less frequently on sale than they used to be, so buying the 0w-30 A3/B4 over the 0w-40 A3/B4 is at an even higher premium, comparing regularly priced 1 L bottles to 5 L jugs on special.

EDGE 0W-40 and 0W-30 are so close, both in viscosity and base oil/additives, that it really shouldn't hinder Castrol, from an operations perspective, to keep both; I can't imagine there is much in the way of additional overhead/cost in having in producing both weights vs. one. They cast a bigger customer net by offering both 0W-30 and 0W-40 than if they were to just have 0W-40. Many consumers don't want to stray from manufacturer specified grade (usually a 30 weight). Let's hope it sticks around.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Many consumers don't want to stray from manufacturer specified grade (usually a 30 weight).

I don't know of too many (any?) manufacturers that require a 0w-30 grade, but prohibit a 0w-40 grade.
smile.gif

In reality, the 0w-40 meets all the same specs as the 0w-30 and then some, so the 0w-30 really is redundant at this point. But, it's one more SKU, which allows them to claim more shelf space presence at some retailers.

That's true, but there are a few who see a 5w-30 or a 5w-40 in their European manual, and stick to exactly what's specified in that regard. They ignore the ability to switch viscosity within the WV/Audi, MB, or BMW regime.

And yes, I'd agree, one extra SKU helps, quite likely. They get a 1 L spot and a 5 L spot by having 0w-30 A3/B4 and 0w-40 A3/B4, respectively.

Amazon is still selling Castrol Edge A3/B4 0Wx30 !
$55 for 6 qt.

Sounds like this oil is not discontinued ... or are they selling the left-overs on amazon?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back