Is API SP rating desirable for 5W-40 Euro oils?

YOu've been away too long, edy... gas engines get very dirty very quickly on regular OCI with C2 or C3 oils. And I've seen 4 or 5 of them per day for the last 8 years. after they get dirty, get ready to change timing chains and tensioners...

And that's on 1 year, 15k oci....
I have business with 30 vehicles in Europe. No issues last 4-5 years when we moved to turbo gas engines from diesel on some vehicles. We use Repsol 5W40 C3 in both diesels and gas except Skoda’s where we use Repsol 5W30 VW504.00/507.00.

Maybe they have a quite specific use pattern, thing is we could do 20.000km or more on the A3/B4 oil without visual signs of oil breakdown. Now we have cars that the dipstick or oil filler cap gets stuck over the course of 1 year. varnished up. IMO it's fuel dilution they can't deal with for so long.
Which oils? What engines?

I saw that Fiat 1.2 in a Fiat 500, Igol C3 oil.
I suspect lots of short trips and not briging the oil to temp, along with 1y and a half OCI (around 6000Km) were factors.
I saw that Fiat 1.2 in a Fiat 500, Igol C3 oil.
I suspect lots of short trips and not briging the oil to temp, along with 1y and a half OCI (around 6000Km) were factors.
To have such issues at 6,000km is indicative of other factors.
I am doing UOA on ESP 0W30 in Tiguan soon at 5,000mls mark. Mostly city driven, not occasionally driven on HWY. will see how oil did and where is oxidation.

To have such issues at 6,000km is indicative of other factors.
I am doing UOA on ESP 0W30 in Tiguan soon at 5,000mls mark. Mostly city driven, not occasionally driven on HWY. will see how oil did and where is oxidation.

That will be interesting to see, I did a 10k one in the VR6 with VW 504 and it looked to be done, reduced Sulphur gas or not. And that was 95% highway driving and oil fully up to temp for extended periods almost every outing.

That will be interesting to see, I did a 10k one in the VR6 with VW 504 and it looked to be done, reduced Sulphur gas or not. And that was 95% highway driving and oil fully up to temp for extended periods almost every outing.
VR6 is known fuel diluter. EA888 is bit better in that department. But we will see. I stated wrongly, my car sees some HWY. i take it purposely to “exercise “ it when we are making day trip somewhere. But mostly, it is my wife’s grocery getter.

Castrol magnatec 5w-40 Professional OE
followed by a 5w-30 castrol (can't rtemember the exact name now)
finally Total quartz ineo mdc 5w-30

Hyundai engines
Not sure. The manufacturer should adjust OCI then. I have not seen issues on our engines (mostly VW/Skoda, some MB's, Peugeot's).
We had some issues with FIAT engines and CNG, but not related to oil.

Here is Pennzoil Euro 5w40 which is MB 229.5, Porsche A-40 and API SP.

0B90CF5F-BBCA-472D-BB3C-8B80690AFD7B.jpeg

american ilsac oils have generally sucked, they are the ones playing catch up in reduced SAPS (for different reasons) and general performance. ACEA and API SAE 30 grade PCMOs became irreversibly separated after SL.

40 grade PCMOs have no longer been the focus for a long time but API decided to apply ca limits to SN+ which kicked out the vast majority of oils on the market. P limits of SP killed all survivors, except shell with their radically different add pack.

A3/B4 and the OEM approvals like 505/229.5/A40/LL-01/18 are all legacy oil standards and being phased out.
Phased out? You can still find legacy 20w-50 Castrol as a matter of fact still has it and in 5qt jugs

Back