Into TEA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a teaspoon of loose tea for a mug of water. I leave the tea in, and once I've drunk it, I sometimes chew the tea leaves as well.

Had a friend send me Rooibos tea from South Africa, its a different taste which one has to get used to, its health benefits are pretty positive so kinda offsets the taste.

David Jones Food Hall (not to be confused with Jones The Grocer) had Rooibos tea the other day when I went for a look round. I'll get some tomorrow as I've been meaning to try it for yonks

Well I went and bought some green tea today. It was Bigalow brand and I made a pot of it.

I had a cup of it Hot and it was pretty good without sugar. It it's a very light tasting product, really almost like water. I made 6 bags for 32 oz of boiling water steeped for 10 minutes.

I poured the rest into a bottle to put in the fridge and will try it iced.

If it's good I'll go buy some loose leaf stuff and go with it as well. That will give me a good variety as I already like the black tea and will now complement it with green.

I wonder if you can mix green and black and what it will taste like?

Never put sugar in green tea. There is great variety of green tea. Best would be to check an Asian food store and try some out. Stay away from discount Chinese brands.

I saw a lab test a few years ago and the lead and pesticide levels were unbelievable, even in as organic labeled brands. Large quantities of Pu-erh was actually taken off the market for that reason. Stick with quality products from reputable manufacturers. Of the commonly available brands, Windsor Castle and Twinings are all right.

Mixing green and black tea? *shudders* Well, green tea is brewed at much lower temps than black tea, so you'd have to brew them separately, then mix them. Why not just get Oolong tea, which is in terms of fermentation right between green and black tea? That said, I like both, green and black tea, but I don't care at all for Oolong. Tastes like ashtray to me (Assumed taste
wink.gif
).

Well, it's just past three thirty am and I made some tea to get me through the night in the bunker here. Another chapter in the 'Mori Chronicles.'
wink.gif

Here's my current brew. I use a stainless steel tea ball and the amount of Darjeeling shown for this half liter cup. That's right, I don't use puny, wussy teacups. Boiling water goes over the tea ball in the cup. I steep for 3 1/2 minutes sharp with a flipped over saucer covering the cup. As you can see, some of the tea leaves, or rather debris, makes it out of the tea ball and settles on the bottom. I like the taste of tannin, so I finish it all off.

For making larger amounts of tea I use a Bodum tea press. Using a traditional teapot is just not manly enough.
wink.gif

Click the thumbnails for larger (not huge) images:

-

-

PS: In my previous post is nasty grammar error. Spot it and I'll bake you a cookie.
wink.gif

Well, I edited the part before Pu-erh but didn't edit the rest accordingly. Do you accept Chips Ahoy or do I have to actually bake you "special" cookies?
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

For making larger amounts of tea I use a Bodum tea press. Using a traditional teapot is just not manly enough.
wink.gif

I use a Bodum Coffee press for mine. That way it gets double duty.

I had the green tea iced today. Not much to it really. I guess it will be an aquired taste, cause I think I prefer the black teas more.

As far as brewing green tea. I used boiling water in mine was I not supposed to?

You CAN use near boiling water for green tea, it's just not traditional and for the lighter types the 212°F H2O extracts a bit much of the harsher flavor that overpowers the lightness.

Again - there are more types of green tea than you might imagine. Hundreds, if not thousands. I loved going in the real tea shops in China. Amazing - maybe two or three walls of cannisters of just green tea.

Shop for some "dragon well". Longjing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_well_tea

That will have some flavor and kick your caffiene addicted ***.

Also, gunpowder tea is classified as green tea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpowder_tea

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
For heaven's sake, join Chocoholics Anonymous already.
wink.gif

I haven't had a bit of chocolate, or any other candy, since May 31. A major accomplishment for me. I have a disease, you know.
I expect to fall off the wagon around Halloween.
grin.gif

quote:

As far as brewing green tea. I used boiling water in mine was I not supposed to?

As Pablo said, you "can" use boiling water, but you really shouldn't. Not only because it affects the flavor negatively, but also because water that's too hot destroys a good part of the antioxidants that green tea contains.

quote:

I expect to fall off the wagon around Halloween.

Sweet!
lol.gif

Funny how you go through phases. Once I stopped eating candy, I haven't really wanted any. Instead, I crave salty stuff. Don't know that this is any better.
I run faster now, though.

Got the Rooibos today from the Tea Centre. Chose the straight rather than blend. Had training till 7:30pm so no chance to try it. Away at Jamie Oliver show tomorrow so Friday wiil be taste test day. Strange colour tea that's for sure..s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back