install oil ptessute gauge 1990 cotolla diesel sensor compatibility

I wuld like to install an electric oil pressure gauge on a 1990 toyota coŕolla 1.8 diesel. I dont know if the oil pressure gauge pressure sender with 1/8" NPT threads, would fit on where the stock oil pressure dashboard light connect; if not perhaps i could get a oil filter sandwich adapter plate, problem lies in that i havenot found a oil filter sandwich adater plate for the oil filter thread m24 × 1.4.

you can't find the thread size of a replacement oil pressure switch online?

I had a look and it's 1/8x28 BSPT (gas) so no doesn't fit
I would like to install an aftermarket electrical oil presurre gauge; the gauge comes with an oil pressure sensor. Ideally i could plug the aftermarket electrical oil pressure gauge sensor without drilling any holes. The gauge sensor has 1/8 npt thread which fits on oil filter adapter plate like this
71p4niLkHQL._AC_SX569_.jpg

The issue lies in that i havent found an oil filter sandwich adapter plate for the oil filter thread size of a 1990 jdm toyota corolla diesel whih equals m24 x 1.5

I wuld like to install an electric oil pressure gauge on a 1990 toyota coŕolla 1.8 diesel. I dont know if the oil pressure gauge pressure sender with 1/8" NPT threads, would fit on where the stock oil pressure dashboard light connect; if not perhaps i could get a oil filter sandwich adapter plate, problem lies in that i havenot found a oil filter sandwich adater plate for the oil filter thread m24 × 1.4.
Its no problem..

Use a thread sealer never teflon tape in the oil circuit.

Be careful with the pressure fittings with Japanese cars. Japanese typically use British Standard Pipe Tapered (BSPT) threaded fittings and not US National Pipe Standard (NPT) threaded fittings. They look the same but BSPT thread form is 28 threads/inch, NPT thread form is 27 threads/inch.

Most people just jam the incompatible threads together but it'll give you headaches down the road.

you can't find the thread size of a replacement oil pressure switch online?

I had a look and it's 1/8x28 BSPT (gas) so no doesn't fit
probably the same for diesel.
thanks!
Be careful with the pressure fittings with Japanese cars. Japanese typically use British Standard Pipe Tapered (BSPT) threaded fittings and not US National Pipe Standard (NPT) threaded fittings. They look the same but BSPT thread form is 28 threads/inch, NPT thread form is 27 threads/inch.

Most people just jam the incompatible threads together but it'll give you headaches down the road.
thanks; the adapter that @Trav recommended would fit perfect apparently

Now i wonder which electrical gauge would perform better:
prosport digital gauge https://prosportgauges.com/collecti...es/products/2-1-16-digital-oil-pressure-gauge ; it doesnt look like it has sweep
prosport jdm gauge https://prosportgauges.com/collecti...ducts/2-3-8-jdm-electrical-oil-pressure-gauge ; it has digital sweep
What does the sweep do?

Why not use an oil pressure sender that retains the oil pressure light and gives you oil pressure gauge capability. Check VDO. Basically the adapter screws into the oil pressure switch hole.

Why not use an oil pressure sender that retains the oil pressure light and gives you oil pressure gauge capability. Check VDO. Basically the adapter screws into the oil pressure switch hole.
do you have a link or part number?

probably the same for diesel.

thanks!

thanks; the adapter that @Trav recommended would fit perfect apparently

Now i wonder which electrical gauge would perform better:
prosport digital gauge https://prosportgauges.com/collecti...es/products/2-1-16-digital-oil-pressure-gauge ; it doesnt look like it has sweep
prosport jdm gauge https://prosportgauges.com/collecti...ducts/2-3-8-jdm-electrical-oil-pressure-gauge ; it has digital sweep
What does the sweep do?
I have the JDM gauges oil pressure and water temp, the oil sending unit is very small and high Japanese quality. These gauges are very accurate when compared to the scan tool readings. I had to make a couple of little cutouts inside the cover so it would close as can be seen but these are not visible from the normal seated position. if they were I would have done a cleaner job. I wired them to to clock harness.
I unplugged the original oil light and taped the wire out of the way, it goes off when the engine starts anyway. The gauges have a flashing red light and loud warning when the pressure drops below the setting you chose or the temp exceeds what you set it at. This is normal temp and idle oil pressure for the suby engine with 11mm pump instead of the 10mm at 90f ambient.
Edit: I used the adapter I linked to, along with the tiny sending unit, it is the only one small enough to fit under the alternator with no contact and no use of elbows and other fittings. This is also BSP thread and the sender NPT.

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

Back