I'm Towing...... Which Oil and Interval ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 06 Titan with under 3000 miles. i use this truck in my landscape business. We do lots of short stops around the city. i use the truck five days a week in the business. Any help on oil and intervals would be welcomed.

Currently on first oil change with GC 0W-30.

GC sounds like a great choice. I'd probably shoot for an OCI of 4,000 - 5,000 miles. Have a UOA performed then and see how it's holding up. Based on the UOA, either extend your interval or keep it the same. Unless you perform a UOA, you'll just be guessing as to how long is too long.

quote:

Originally posted by the_oil_dealer:
15w-40 HDEO !

Second that. As far as the interval, if there was ever a "severe" use, this is it. I would go with what the car manual says or maybe a little less.

I think molakule recommended a 10w-40 or 5w-40 for these engines. I believe he is of the view that they like a heavier weight oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Jim 5:
I think molakule recommended a 10w-40 or 5w-40 for these engines. I believe he is of the view that they like a heavier weight oil.

Well considering GC is a very high 30 I don't see that being a problem.

Although I agree if you rack up the mileage even in city usage a HDEO like Rotella, Delo, or Chevron will be cheaper in the long run and be just as good.

Use synthetics and go with the regular service scedule. No need to dump perfectly good oil and waste your money. Oil prices are high enough! I tow and go at least 6000-7000 miles and the UOA is great! Then again thats a Toyota!
grin.gif

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner,2.7 liter, 4 cylinder, Mobil1 5w30 ODO 26800
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner,3.0 liter,6 cylinder, Mobil1 5w40 tsuv ODO 104800
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

quote:

Originally posted by scotlykins:
Why a HDEO oil? Why does towing cause the need for a detergent oil?

Its not so much the high detergents that are good about an HDEO, its the much more robust add pack. Much more anti-wear additives than most oils, and with Delo 400 at $7-8 a gallon at Autozone, cheap too.

that titan rear end is small. have heard alot of problems with it. man a truck that big and has such a small rear differental. so this would be the trucks weak link in towing. have heard people talk about getting a bigger diff cover to put on it to increase how much fluid it holds. if anything get a good synthetic gear oil like amsoil in your diffs.

quote:

We do lots of short stops around the city.

Fuel dilution could be a problem under these conditions. I would change it every 3500 - 4000 miles until evidence from a UOA shows fuel not to be a problem.

scotlynkins, I would change out the rear diff fluid with a high quality synthetic (Amsoil, RP, RedLine etc) within the first year or 20k miles of service.

The manual for my '00 Silverado states (but dont quote me) for servere service and extended use of towing after vehicle purchase, to change out the rear diff fluid within 10k miles or 15k miles (something to that effect). Otherwise the diff fluid is supposed to be changed around 100k ( I will change it sooner).

Again, that's for my Silverado, though I have seen other manuals for trucks stating the same thing about changing out diff fluid quickly when towing right after purchase of the truck.

My guess for that reasoning is that the locking or limited diff, when under heavy load fresh from the factory, may have an accelerated break-in period, and clutch pack material or metal particulates may accumulate faster in the fluid.

When I changed the diff fluid in my '95 K1500, there was a magnet at the bottom of the diff housing covered with grey goop. Be sure to clean off your magnet too if so equiped.

IMO, if you are already using a quality syn (GC) I would do minimum 5k mile OCI's.

Like Jim 5 stated, I have seen posts here and other forums that the Nissan 5.4 prefers "thicker oil".

Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic is considered a "thicker oil" for a given weight. Even though its a "high milage" oil, its safe for use in new and rebuilt engines, per the label.

I use it wih great results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back