I’m tired of manual transmission

besides americans getting lazier + fatter usa auto makers love cheaper to build + costlier to fix CVT + automatic trannys + add that they are easier to control how you drive with their electronics that make meeting pollution rules!! as long as my legs are NOT broke i walk our dog a mile or so daily + drive a stick at 74 YO, BUT i can relate to those driving in traffic in placed i would NEVER live!!!!

I'd like to buy another manual hatchback to pull behind the rv but I'm torn right now. It might be my wife's main driver and I don't want to force her to drive a stick everyday. She really does like the Volkswagen GTIs though.

I’ve never owned an automatic in 49 yrs of driving and 20+ Vehicles. However, “the times they are a changing.” Next car will be electric or hybrid.

I've owned several manual vehicles over the years: learned on an '86 Mazda 626, had an '89 F150 with the OG 4-speed, and had the pleasure of owning (in my opinion) two of the best-shifting cars ever made: the 1G DSM. Both my Eclipse's were NA 4G63 cars, and once the OE rubber shift cable bushings are replaced with solid brass pieces they shift almost as slick as a Miata. The NA Miata being my absolute favorite manual car to drive.

Meh. Depends. I love having a manual in my mustang and love having an automatic in my SUV's.
Pros and cons to everything and to each their own.

Most car owners aren't serious car enthusiasts and they want their car to be as easy to use and comfortable as possible. Simply steering a car will be seen as old-fashioned in the coming years.
Muscle cars HAVE to be equipped with a standard transmission👍 Automatics shouldn’t even be an option on a V8 Mustang.

I've owned several manual vehicles over the years: learned on an '86 Mazda 626, had an '89 F150 with the OG 4-speed, and had the pleasure of owning (in my opinion) two of the best-shifting cars ever made: the 1G DSM. Both my Eclipse's were NA 4G63 cars, and once the OE rubber shift cable bushings are replaced with solid brass pieces they shift almost as slick as a Miata. The NA Miata being my absolute favorite manual car to drive.
I replaced the plastic shifter bushings with SPL bronze ones in my 300ZX. Huge difference!👍

Did the same to the shifter cable and box bushings for the Evo. It made the shifting notchier until I put in a blox 490 and everything just worked together so well. What a transformation - probably the best mod.

My V8 Mustang is an automatic and I prefer it that way. I don't enjoy driving a manual and the manual transmissions in the standard GT's are chinese junk and are not as durable as the automatic.
Oh yeah I'd forgotten about that. I remember the issues of the 1st to 2nd gear synchro issue. I was still thinking Ford used the Tremec.

Is your 14 the last of the classic type body style? Those were always my favorite! (y)

Reactions: wtd
A shame really that many of you have had the joy of manual transmissions sucked out of you by the drudgery of traffic. I prize my economy car manual transmissions vehicles. For me, even a penalty box with a manual transmission is more fun than a sports car with an automatic. There is a thrill of total control. Earning the experience of superlative shifting is satisfying. Your drive goes well because you shifted well. None of that exists in an automatic.

Now I understand how traffic can sap that enjoyment away, which is why I feel sad for most of you, not disappointed. Manual transmissions even made my Toyota Previa Van, a 5 speed, fun to drive. I just look at gridlock shifting as exercise. Time for the left leg workout!

Oh yeah I'd forgotten about that. I remember the issues of the 1st to 2nd gear synchro issue. I was still thinking Ford used the Tremec.

Is your 14 the last of the classic type body style? Those were always my favorite! (y)
Yes, mine is the last year of the classic style body. I still think it looks better than the current generations.

Why do manual’s get lower MPGs and are slower to accelerate in modern cars?

Because the manual is designed to be slower and less efficient (on the test at least)

favorite manual I've driven is vw jettas. 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 with short shifter was good and had excellent feedback but wasn't very smooth. 1984 Nissan 300zx was old and kinda crunchy feeling but it was an old car. 03 dodge truck was truckish but what can I say, it's a truck. I've only driven a few manuals but they're way more fun than automatics.

After driving semis in traffic, double clutching and rev matching my way through 13 or 18 speeds, I find a 5 or 6 speed car so nice to drive in traffic. Automatics kill the soul so they are best avoided when possible. A stick shift makes even the slowest, cheapest car tolerable. I once drove an auto trans Hyundai Accent and had to stop myself from driving it into the lake.

My first two daily drivers were stick. The 2004 CR-V was among the last few CR-Vs that were offered with a stick. After moving and having to drive that in daily bumper-to-bumper traffic jams for 2 years, I finally had to concede that wasn't much fun anymore. Of course having a stick meant the trade-in value took a big hit. Oh well, I still have the MG to row gears in.

I’ve driven manuals my whole life. I always felt that the lower price and lower chance of problems were worth the trouble. Both of my current cars are manuals. Right now I’m currently in the process of trying to find a decent used car with an automatic. My arthritic knees make it really hard to push that clutch pedal some days. Maybe I’ve done enough shifting in my life now.

Automatics kill the soul so they are best avoided when possible.
See, this I just can't figure. Somehow I've made it all these years and have had plenty of excellent automatics AND manuals, and some clunky examples of each also. Soul still intact.

Back