I’m tired of manual transmission

I use to love manual car . I think it fun . But lately thing in life change . Working long hours . And traffic . And there a situation where I had To speed up while doing something else or situation where I had to quickly move out the way or speed up . I find myself hating driving a manual for DD . And when I drove my truck automatic , I feel relax . Mabe I’m just getting old . But here in Texas traffic . I just really hate manual car . I think I will done with manual car for DD .
Getting old?

I read that 80% of cars in Europe are manuals....is that true?
Maybe 20 years ago but doubt that applies today. I'd guess under 50% but certainly varies by country. Greater percentage in France and Italy, lower in Germany and UK. And of course the age and class of car varies as well. More likely on older and smaller economy cars. When was the last Mercedes S or even E class sold with a stick in Europe? For the S, maybe 1999 in the W140?

Maybe 20 years ago but doubt that applies today. I'd guess under 50% but certainly varies by country. Greater percentage in France and Italy, lower in Germany and UK. And of course the age and class of car varies as well. More likely on older and smaller economy cars. When was the last Mercedes S or even E class sold with a stick in Europe? For the S, maybe 1999 in the W140?

S and E class are very low volume sellers though. Every other car here is german but I can't recall when I've last seen a modern S or E.

I'd hop in a manual any day, but I'm not sure I'd want to drive one in traffic. Been there done, that, not a fan. Drove a stick in Baltimore and DC suburbs for years. My college commute was Baltimore to College Park and my work commute took me through the Baltimore tunnels. My leg got pissed off when I was 20, not going to think about that at almost 40.

I went to England once for work and I had to drive a car there just to say I did it. That was an experience. Manchester to Liverpool and back in a RHD Opal stick car. At least the pedals were like ours lol

The reason none of the kids today know how to drive a manual is because they need both hands to operate their cell phones ... :rolleyes:

We still have at least one manual. I still prefer them for the open road. And when I used to track them it was a must. For a lot of years, I would special order the manual downgrade, which made a couple very rare and desirable resales. I think for the one, Chrysler only made a couple hundred of them out of 80-100,000 units.

But they are not as easy to find as years ago, when many came off the dealer lot with "three on the tree".

I taught my wife on one over 45 years ago. An old VW bug or a little Ford, I don't remember anymore. But my son had no interest in it. And now my wife tools around in a seven speed 4Matic and would rather not row a box anymore. So no one is competent to drive the one manual we have left except me.

And they do tie up one hand, which in heavier urban traffic means you can't easily sip that cup, change the tune, or smoke the cigar. And in stacked up traffic, your left leg comes home a little more tired.

That's and outdated statistic because It's changed rapidly in recent years with many new cars now available in auto only. I would say for new car sales it's now well over 50% autos.

For used cars I did a quick check by going to a major used car outlet with 12,000 used cars under 3 years old. Approx. 50% were auto's. I was surprised to find that if I extended the age to up to 7 years and over 22,000 cars, auto's were still approx. 50%.

That's and outdated statistic because It's changed rapidly in recent years with many new cars now available in auto only. I would say for new car sales it's now well over 50% autos.

For used cars I did a quick check by going to a major used car outlet with 12,000 used cars under 3 years old. Approx. 50% were auto's. I was surprised to find that if I extended the age to up to 7 years and over 22,000 cars, auto's were still approx. 50%.
The take rate of manuals started dropping in 2017 and is down to 32% in developed parts of Europe

Understand that the take rate is meaningless because you have all the old cars on the road which are still manual.

Then you have the fact that Europe includes Eastern Europe which is still mostly stick

I use to love manual car . I think it fun . But lately thing in life change . Working long hours . And traffic . And there a situation where I had To speed up while doing something else or situation where I had to quickly move out the way or speed up . I find myself hating driving a manual for DD . And when I drove my truck automatic , I feel relax . Mabe I’m just getting old . But here in Texas traffic . I just really hate manual car . I think I will done with manual car for DD .
I drove my first automatic transmission car in the early 80s when I was in my early 20s, fell in love, sold my 4 speed Transam, and have never had a manual since, not even race cars.

I'd hop in a manual any day, but I'm not sure I'd want to drive one in traffic. Been there done, that, not a fan. Drove a stick in Baltimore and DC suburbs for years. My college commute was Baltimore to College Park and my work commute took me through the Baltimore tunnels. My leg got pissed off when I was 20, not going to think about that at almost 40.

I went to England once for work and I had to drive a car there just to say I did it. That was an experience. Manchester to Liverpool and back in a RHD Opal stick car. At least the pedals were like ours lol
A couple times a month I end up in the big city with some stop and go traffic and I find its not bad if you drive like a transport truck, just trying to go the average speed of traffic instead of stopping and going to maintain a close distance behind the car in front.

On my commute I have one stop sign on the top of a hill and the odd time there's a line of cars, but I just slow down and leave some space and often can idle in first right to the stop sign without having to do 5 stops and starts on a hill.... Coasting in N too, is nice for a few extra mpgs.
I dunno, I don't like to totally space out when driving, so having to look ahead and do some planning on how to minimize clutch use and maximize mileage keeps me aware of what's going on a 1/4 mile down the road instead of just following the car in front of me.
Or just being able to be in the gear and rpm I want, with the throttle position I want is kind of nice, as the old Focus has a nice bit of intake noise as it comes onto the cam.

I do enjoy the 8spd AT in the new Toyota. But an MT that is shifting right is a pleasure to drive and as easy as walking.

My mazda2 is nibbling gears again unless I match revs. Something is wrong with the hydraulic system, I can bleed it to perfection but then it gets squishy after hard drives. Has never been right to be honest. Next step is to pull the gearbox and see if anything is wrong with any clutch components as the hydraulics have been ruled out.

Manuals used to be the longest lasting most reliable transmissions, but that ended when computers got involved with throttle position during shifting and clutch parts started coming in plastic.

A couple times a month I end up in the big city with some stop and go traffic and I find its not bad if you drive like a transport truck, just trying to go the average speed of traffic instead of stopping and going to maintain a close distance behind the car in front.

On my commute I have one stop sign on the top of a hill and the odd time there's a line of cars, but I just slow down and leave some space and often can idle in first right to the stop sign without having to do 5 stops and starts on a hill.... Coasting in N too, is nice for a few extra mpgs.
I dunno, I don't like to totally space out when driving, so having to look ahead and do some planning on how to minimize clutch use and maximize mileage keeps me aware of what's going on a 1/4 mile down the road instead of just following the car in front of me.
Or just being able to be in the gear and rpm I want, with the throttle position I want is kind of nice, as the old Focus has a nice bit of intake noise as it comes onto the cam.
Coasting in neutral actually uses more fuel in a modern standard. If it's in gear, the wheels are keeping the engine running and the fuel injectors can shut off, if it's in neutral, you need fuel to keep it idling. The CX5 has an instantaneous fuel consumption display and it goes to 0 in gear and off the gas, but shows consumption out of gear and idling.

Coasting in neutral actually uses more fuel in a modern standard. If it's in gear, the wheels are keeping the engine running and the fuel injectors can shut off, if it's in neutral, you need fuel to keep it idling. The CX5 has an instantaneous fuel consumption display and it goes to 0 in gear and off the gas, but shows consumption out of gear and idling.

Noted similar in a civic we owned - the injectors literally stop whenever the engine is decelerating rpm’s while under no load, and then engage back in at idle speed. It was eerie outside the car.

Manual in traffic? I refuse to wear out a clutch system in traffic, and it PO's everyone, because I have to leave a lot of distance in front, and creep in low gear. That is the disadvantage of a manual transmission. Just glad I don't have to deal with traffic so much now.
How many here use the left foot on the brake and right on the gas in an automatic?

My dad used to be a manual diehard. Drove manuals until 2010ish when he decided it wasn’t worth dealing with the stop and go. Now drives automatics, but he’s pushing 65, so not surprising.

I still love manuals, even in economy cars, but I will probably end up like my dad. Old age, things start to creak and whine. I will miss the manual when it’s time to say goodbye.

never driving a manual again until the day i die. unless i am in a situation where i have to drive one to help someone etc. 3 things i will never have again. a vehicle with a manual transmission. a vehicle with less than 6.5 inches ground clearance. and a vehicle that is not AWD or full time 4WD.

Back