I’m tired of manual transmission

I use to love manual car . I think it fun . But lately thing in life change . Working long hours . And traffic . And there a situation where I had To speed up while doing something else or situation where I had to quickly move out the way or speed up . I find myself hating driving a manual for DD . And when I drove my truck automatic , I feel relax . Mabe I’m just getting old . But here in Texas traffic . I just really hate manual car . I think I will done with manual car for DD .

Not even in my MID LIFE yet and if I had major traffic EVERYDAY.... the kia would probably go. I also kinda like you get "tense" in traffic with a manual and it seems like every move is planned, every gear selected is planned, every throttle input, clutch engagement.. is planned.

In the backroads of NY, the manual shines, so im keeping it.. ❤️

I took the kia recently to NYC 90th W208 area and got stuck on the GWB for 2 hours or more in stop and go traffic.... with a manual. I ALMOST had to get out on the bridge and stretch my leg as it was locking up.. It was NOT a pleasurable experience.

I learned how to drive on both manual & automatic tranny's. I have always preferred the auto. I can still drive a stick but only on a friends car with them, not that I want one. And too, I have owned several manual vehicles. I just prefer the auto.

If I had to drive in a lot of traffic every day, I would not have bought the manual Kia Soul. I would have got an automatic. But I missed driving a manual after 12+ years with my old automatic Elantra (which was a great car). The Soul will likely be my last manual because they’re just about extinct in econo-boxes and also I’m getting older.

Now that nearly every vehicle has an 8, 9, or 10 speed or CVT automatic a manual trans is kind of pointless on a daily driver. Decades ago a manual trans was a performance upgrade over a 3 speed automatic.

Like most Boomers, I grew up on manuals. But I cannot discount the convenience and comfort of automatics.

Manuals USED TO (past tense) be the "go to" for strength and durability. But the technology and efforts put towards autos today make manuals pretty much a thing of the past in terms of efficiency and reliability. There hasn't been a manual in a personal-use truck in years, nor in traditional cars. About the only place you'll ever find a manual is in a sports-car, and even those are being usurped by DCTs.

In my MX-5, I would have nothing other than a manual. I love the sporty nature of a fun, light, quick-shifting manual. But it's not my DD. For my DDs, it's automatics all the way, and has been for decades; can't beat the nature of an auto for repetitive, high-traffic driving.

As is said, use the right to for the job.

I have a Jag X-Type with a manual, it makes an otherwise boring and slow car, fun to drive. As it's quite responsive.

I also have a Jag F-Type with the hyper fast shifting 8 speed ZF automatic. The F-Type is epic fun, and the ZF auto, with it's multiple modes and instant paddle shifters, is no slushbox. It does exactly and ONLY what you ask, instantly. I prefer this kind of automatic over a manual transmission, 24/7/365.

Even back in the 80's, I set up my Mustang "road racer" with a custom Fairbanks C4 automatic. It worked exceptionally well, and it never missed a shift.

Agreed. I've been done with manuals for some years now and I was not going to get a manual in any sort of way for a DD/commute car. Not worth it, to annoying to shift into first and slip the clutch only to have to brake, stop, and redo it all for 2 hours of stop-and-go.

Not to come off like a jerk, but as someone who regularly endured NYC metro area rush hour traffic, I never understood some of the "I hate sitting in traffic, with a manual" comments.

Now...if someone has a physical ailment, or if they're driving a Super Duty, I can understand that a clutch can get wearisome. But for most people, it's negligible.

Modern automatics may have come up in reliability, but they're still no match for most manuals.

All of our cars are currently manuals. Most cars in Europe are manuals. I really don't mind them, until I get stuck in traffic.

For day to day duties, I'd much rather an automatic.

That said, when you want to be engaged in the drive. Whether that means using our Defender to tow and having to keep you ear out to make sure the engine is happy, looking at instruments to checks temps or pressures etc. Or if you're trying to get from A to B quickly with a smile on your face then manual every time!

Not to come off like a jerk, but as someone who regularly endured NYC metro area rush hour traffic, I never understood some of the "I hate sitting in traffic, with a manual" comments.

Now...if someone has a physical ailment, or if they're driving a Super Duty, I can understand that a clutch can get wearisome. But for most people, it's negligible.

Modern automatics may have come up in reliability, but they're still no match for most manuals.

A lot of it for me isn't so much the left leg ache (although that is an issue despite being a fit and well 30 year old) but I drive my cars in such a way that I am as sympathetic as possible to the cars mechanicals and avoiding as much wear and tear as reasonably possible. Start/stop driving puts extra wear on any car, but I feel that's less so with a torque converter based automatic vs a manual with a clutch that will be wearing at a higher rate during start/stop driving.

My wife was born and raised in Brooklyn. Her first car was a Toyota with a stick. We have a 2015 Audi A4 Quattro with a stick and a Corolla Hybrid with a ECVT. The Corolla replaced a Hyundai with a stick we had. Our next vehicle will have an automatic.

One of my nieces wanted and now has a Civic Si, which has never had an available automatic. I taught her how to drive a manual in the Elantra.

A08BD57D-6D4F-4C47-8020-12AEFE161074.jpeg

And over in the UK, you can buy vehicles with a stick like a Hyundai mild hybrid that Hyundai would never offer in the USA and Canada despite having 5 times the population.

After DD'ing manuals for my entire adult life, I decided that I'd switch to an automatic and bought an automatic DD last year. I'm not looking back.

I like driving manual, but sometimes you just want to get in and let the car do most of the work. My Focus was the worst manual transmission I've ever driven - some of it was the gearing of the transmission and the rest of it was the terrible programming from Ford. The Subaru was actually really good and enjoyable but I was just ready to go to having 2 pedals.

Still have a manual pickup. That's not going to chance (if I have anything to do with it) because I'm not going to buy a new truck!

And over in the UK, you can buy vehicles with a stick like a Hyundai mild hybrid that Hyundai would never offer in the USA and Canada despite having 5 times the population.

There's not many cars over here that come without a manual option. I'd estimate if you walked around a supermarket carpark in the UK and peeked through every window, 90% of the cars would be manuals.

Also, in the UK if you learn to drive and pass your driving test in an automatic than you cannot drive a manual.

Back