I'm 60 years old

60+ here, and semi retired for the most part. I am not going to give into getting old, yet. I walk over 15 miles a week, and stay active in the Martial Arts three days a week. I don't move like I used to, but I still move, and I'm thankful for that.

Originally Posted by Bud
I am 71 and retired in 2007. Have not missed working at all and stay active. Father made it to 99 and Mother is 98 and still getting around fine. I may have a few years left yet.

Thats a winning genetic lottery ticket there. You will bust triple digits for sure!

Originally Posted by ekpolk
Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by CT8
I am 66 years old I hate it. I would love to be invincible again.

I'm only 42 and feel the same way! Slowly getting tired of the rat race, but I have kids to finish raising, so it's not like I can make changes. But I sure do miss being thin and having nothing but opportunities ahead of me.

C'mon man, don't box yourself in! As noted above, I'm 57 -- and in the middle of training for my NEXT new career! Most of my classmates are my young children's ages! But there's one who's chronologically older than I am! My flight instructor is an ex-cop (another career changer!) who is a couple months older than my son (who is 30).

Don't get the wrong idea. I fully respect the obligations of being a parent, and it's tougher when they're still kids at home. But if you're tiring of the race, there are still things you can do. And when they're gone, well, that's when things are over, its when the shackles are off!

Don't I wish. My father started having heart problems in his 50's, and did open heart to correct it around 55. I'm not privy to all his medical details but I was told it wasn't from his lifestyle. After that he got vertigo and lost hearing in one ear. He's in his 60's now, not retired yet, but travel is apparently over for him, on account of vertigo. Not a pleasant thought for me, as I've liked hiking and biking all these years. Worse, I worry about caring for my disabled son--another ten years and he'll be in a scooter of some sort, needing help getting up and down, that sort of thing. So around the time that I will be worrying about going down the path my father (unwillingly) went, I'll have other obligations to deal with. Meanwhile my house won't be paid off nor my retirement fully funded.

21.gif

One doesn't have a choice but to keep showing up and making the most of it.

I'm 59 and been retired for three years. Wish I could have retired 30 years ago! It is so nice to be able to have the time to work out and look after my body.

I'll be 66 in March; still working like crazy (but not like I used to). I love it.
Silicon Valley is such a dynamic place; the challenges; the opportunity.
Did I say I love it?

I retired as a Fire Captain at 52. I had planned to stay longer but a couple trips to the ER from a roof collapsing on me and another from a stairwell giving way made me pull the trigger early. I'll be turning 55 next month and looking back I miss the job but not the 0 to 1,000 and back to 0 adrenaline rush and after a couple years away I find I have actually been able to sleep all night and began dreaming again.
I miss the down time in the station with my guys, I had a really good crew and when I set up command on a fire I barely had to say anything as my crew and those of the stations around me got it stopped like clock work without much radio traffic. Dispatch would often say "Engine 10 - command is everything ok?" I'd respond Affirmative fire is under control.
I dont miss the overdose calls and other medical runs especially to the elderly people who are just barely hanging on having their medical issues exacerbated by a lack of quality health care. I'll stop this though right there before I get on my soapbox.
I continue to work and count myself as genuinely blessed to still be in good shape and have time to enjoy myself.

59 next month.
I got a letter from my employer with a projected retirement date on it recently.
Stapled to it was a death certificate.

I keep hearing you should look good when you die, so you are pretty in your casket for the final viewing.
I always thought you should be beat to heck, with scars and arthritic fingers from hard work and harder play, honoring each day you were given with adventure, promise and mayhem.
That's the way I played it, so where ever I drop, I go straight to the nuke machine. No one is coming to see me anyway, heck they don't come see me now when I'm here, why would they take time when I'm gone?

I'm hoping I can talk someone into taking my final dust, nipping a hole in the box, strap me to a motorcycle, and take me for one more ride.

Originally Posted by Warstud
That's pretty cool that you listen to that music. You may like this as well.

Nice. I've noticed in the music thread that you lean toward the heavier stuff. It's not all I listen to, but I sure have been listening to a lot of it lately. I can't quite do Meshuggah, or Scandinavian black metal, I like at least some semblance of a melody, been listening to some Mastodon lately. Emperor of Sand is a great album, IMO.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by Stelth
While I wouldn't mind dying tomorrow, for reasons that I can't go into since they would violate board rules.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
Like someone else said, I'm ready to go "poof" today if that's required of me, but again, beyond board rules.

OK, I'll bite. What do, "board rules", have to do with talking about dying? Seeing as much like going to the bathroom, it happens to everyone. I had no idea it was such taboo subject matter.

Well the main board rules are no religion, no politics. I assume those guys were going to talk about religion. Death in itself isn't politics or religion so it's fine I guess.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
While I am only 56 this year I feel that work is good for you. Over the years I have witnessed too many guys retire only to die a few years later. I plan on working for as long as they will have me. I even told my boss this a few weeks ago and he happen to agree with my way of thinking. I enjoy my job and the people that I work with. First job that has been this way for me. Good luck with your back!

^^^^^^

A lot truth here.... Stop living and working... And many people pass away soon after... Especially true for certain occupations.

Retired at 58 from Defense contractor basically only job after college. They offered a Golden Handshake enhanced benefits. 65 now; can wake up anytime go to gym started Yoga classes. Have been painting interior; catching up to organise Garage; plumbing etc. Loving it.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Well the main board rules are no religion, no politics. I assume those guys were going to talk about religion. Death in itself isn't politics or religion so it's fine I guess.

I can buy that. I'm not religious, but I have no problem accepting the views of those who are. But even if I devoutly believed in God, I wouldn't be in any more of a hurry to meet him, than I am now. Eternity is a long time. No need to rush into it.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
While I am only 56 this year I feel that work is good for you. Over the years I have witnessed too many guys retire only to die a few years later. I plan on working for as long as they will have me. I even told my boss this a few weeks ago and he happen to agree with my way of thinking.

Retirement didn't kill them, regardless of how much you want to believe it did. The thing is, that door swings both ways. I have witnessed far too many guys who worked their entire lives, and dropped dead without ever seeing a days retirement. And you have to understand the reason your boss is going to agree with you, is because he is making money off of you. Naturally he wants you to stick around. He wants to continue to profit and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Not see you do it.

Over the years I have found that most people who say they'll never retire, and that, "work is good for you", couldn't retire if they wanted to. (I'm not saying or suggesting you are one of them). But my father was. He worked hard and made good money throughout his working lifetime. He just couldn't hang on to any of it. He died broke, but always exclaimed he would never retire. He was right, he never did. But he was wrong in thinking that he had convinced anyone that it was his choice not to. His poor finances made that decision for him. He just went along with it in order to try to save face.

How you survive retirement depends on the type of person you are, along with how much money you have. If you are not a relaxed person, who always has to be on the go, you won't adapt well to retirement. And you better have a fortune saved before you even attempt it. Because you will burn through it. On the other hand, if you are a laid back, relaxed individual, who enjoys a stress free, simple lifestyle, you will adjust to retirement quite easily and happily.

Originally Posted by NO2
My mom just retired at 84, you have a long way to go! She's a gym rat and (still!) has a 6-pack. Kept up with the teenage grandkids hiking in the Cascades. Amazing!

I would say yes mam and no mam to her for sure,,,what a lady

Back