illertacy???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turbochem
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: 40xring
I am amazed and distressed at the amount of illiteracy on every forum i visit.
For example, the recent usage of siezed!! for ceases on this forum.
OP did you proofread your work? At a fast glance I see a few mistakes.:)
Didn't you guys get it....that apparently was the point....
For those who still don't get it....he MEANT to make mistakes while pointing out others'....see?
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez...................

This thread proves my point about a general lack of reading comprehension. Brilliantly, as a matter of fact...

Originally Posted By: rshunter
This thread proves my point about a general lack of reading comprehension. Brilliantly, as a matter of fact...

True, however this came across as being written by a Troll. Most people give Troll work a quick glance and take a poke at the Troll, or pass on it. This one was pretty good, I should have spent a bit more time with it.

Lighten up, you guys. The better you write, the easier it is to get across your point. If anything, my spelling and grammar has improved due a few Grammar Police on my various fora. I for one welcome the chance to improve myself at little expense.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
This is an internet forum, not a resume for a job.

Lets not forget some people on BITOG 'ain't got no education' and have lots of missspellings and poor grammer/writing skills.

Yes, but it never hurts to improve self.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Hi, Mori

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: 40xring
Illiterate spelling, punctuation and content demonstrates a basic ignorance, and at the worst, stupidity.
I misspell a lot of words so I must be stupid.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I misspell a lot of words so I must be stupid.

Have faith in yourself.

I used to work for a company in the U.K. that made large industrial Pumps.
Their was an old guy named Charlie that had been with company FOREVER, since he was 14 and taken on as a labourer in the yard.
Charlie was semi literate, but had learned every aspect of the production side of the business over the years.
One day Charlie got talking to the company chairman (as he talked to everybody that passed his gatehouse) about an old machine that was used in the 50's, and was now in storage, and how that machine could be modified to aid production of a new component. The Chairman asked Charlie to put his ideas in a note to the Chief Engineer.
Sometime later, the Chairman asked the CE about Charlie's note.
The CH said he "got some literate scrawl and the guy was using
common terminology, and that he 'Filed it' where it belonged".
As you may guess, Charlie's Idea later saved the company several $100k.
The CE got roasted for not having FLEXIBILITY OF MIND to understand Charlie's less than perfect writing.

Originally Posted By: expat
I used to work for a company in the U.K. that made large industrial Pumps.
Their was an old guy named Charlie that had been with company FOREVER, since he was 14 and taken on as a labourer in the yard.
Charlie was semi literate, but had learned every aspect of the production side of the business over the years.
One day Charlie got talking to the company chairman (as he talked to everybody that passed his gatehouse) about an old machine that was used in the 50's, and was now in storage, and how that machine could be modified to aid production of a new component. The Chairman asked Charlie to put his ideas in a note to the Chief Engineer.
Sometime later, the Chairman asked the CE about Charlie's note.
The CH said he "got some literate scrawl and the guy was using
common terminology, and that he 'Filed it' where it belonged".
As you may guess, Charlie's Idea later saved the company several $100k.
The CE got roasted for not having FLEXIBILITY OF MIND to understand Charlie's less than perfect writing.

Great story! We should all remember that some of the World's greatest minds have had difficulty with the written word.

[/quote]
Great story! We should all remember that some of the World's greatest minds have had difficulty with the written word. [/quote]
So true!! I used to get a kick out of one of the guys who worked here years ago who couldn't spell worth a darn. Wheelbarrow was "whlebro", for example, but, the guy could fabricate almost anything, using 'blueprints' in his head. Just an amazing mechanic.

Quote:I used to get a kick out of one of the guys who worked here years ago who couldn't spell worth a darn. Wheelbarrow was "whlebro", for example, but, the guy could fabricate almost anything, using 'blueprints' in his head. Just an amazing mechanic.

A classic example of a visual thinker.

I'd just go on to say what happened to Charlie.
All this happened close to Christmas. The company had a Christmas lunch in the canteen on Christmas eve, and Charlie was called forward by the chairman and presented with a pocket calculator inscribed with the company logo (this was 1975) and a bottle of Scotch Whiskey.
That afternoon, Charlie would share his story with anyone passing the gatehouse AND share a tot of his Whiskey.
Come quitting time, he was in quite a bad way, and fell trying to mount his bicycle to go home, he broke his leg in five places. He never worked again!
His Union went after the company for compo. But I'm not sure if they got anywhere.

Thanks everyone for the interesting, illuminating replies to my original post.

One poster bet that i would not be back. I can only surmise that that poster seemingly hoped that i would be offended by the personal attacks aimed at me. I am not. Those attacks only expose those who are, for what they are.

It is not my problem if they could not understand the contents of the post and had to resort to personal denigration in order to validate themselves and garner applause from their like minded friends.

My OP was simply an expression of sadness caused by the level of illiteracy manifested in this country, with a grammer check thrown in for fun.

Sadly, too many of the posts validated my observations.

40xring

Since I think it's rather appropriate language for an oil forum, I'm going to quote my earlier response to another poster who wondered why we care so much about "grammer" [sic] in this forum:

Because it's part of proper human communication.

English may have weird spelling and lots of exceptions to its rules, but we accept that as a tradeoff for the turbocharged power this language gives us . . . when we use it properly.

Change your verb tenses as appropriate, keep the subject-verb agreement topped off, properly inflate the spelling, and English'll serve you for a lot of years.

That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back