Giving out your cell phone #

Ps I heard when that song came out, many people got prank calls who happened to have 867-5309. For me personally, I started calling girls whose names were on bathroom walls…
Most of those numbers in restroom stalls are gays.
Same ones who drill holes in the stall dividers.

Probably a few exceptions from jilted relationships and the guy trying to get pay back.

I have 3 landlines in the house and they are all in succession, Example 123-4567,123-4568,123-4569. I have 2 cell phones and they are both the same NNX(ex-123 as the house nbrs.) and they are in succession with the house, so 123-4570 and 123-4571. When Onstar offered phone svc those numbers were also in succession with the land and cell nbrs. Easy to remember and get very few spam calls. I have to keep landlines where I live because cell svc sucks up in the PA mountains, a lot of dropped calls. Don't mind giving out nbrs but only if necessary.

Last edited:
On Google Fi they have a drastic mode.

I just want the steps!

1. Open the Google Fi app on your phone
2. Scroll down and tap “privacy and Security” on the main page below “Phone settings”
3. Under Manage Contact Settings Toggle “Only allow calls and texts from phone contacts
4. Be sure to add any new and important contacts to your contact book so you don’t miss any calls or texts
5. Directly correspond with one time contacts like food delivery or ride share services to open a line of communication
6. Enjoy your peace of mind

Seems like a lot of misunderstanding here about phone #s and spam calls. Doesn't matter if you have NEVER, EVER, EVER given your number to another single soul. Ever heard of random call generators ?

I have spam filter enabled and configured to only accept calls from those in my contacts list, all others get forwarded to voicemail where the bot takes over and it's always spam because the message is blank. I've found that most spam calls try to spoof numbers that are local to you so that you will more likely answer the phone. For those in VA I live in the 540 area but rarely get spam from this one, I get the most spoofed from the 804, 276, and 571 in no specific order.

A long time ago someone spoofed my number and someone called my phone a couple of times one morning and I had already searched online to find a location which was around an hour from here, I finally answered and it was an older gentleman and I tried telling him that someone spoofed my number and to look it up online or to ask someone. I doubt he even knew that phone numbers could be faked.

Seems like a lot of misunderstanding here about phone #s and spam calls. Doesn't matter if you have NEVER, EVER, EVER given your number to another single soul. Ever heard of random call generators ?
There's literally systems that are constantly dialing random numbers. I remember one time about a guy who actually created one, when someone finally picks up it forwards it to a person. It doesn't matter if you are on a do not call list or not, those scammers are most likely in other countries who do not abide by our laws over here. The do not call list does help but only for the ones who are doing so legally but sadly most are not.

I'm not too protective about giving out my number. Phone calls are easy enough to ignore if I don't want to answer them. I rarely get calls that aren't from my wife and kids or work-related anyway and my outbound calls are similar. I prefer a quick text message most of the time.

This only works if you don't use your phone for work and have to accept calls for emergency from unknown callers.

I do think keeping work and personal numbers separate is a good idea. Or just use messaging apps instead for personal stuff.

You won't find me using one of those cell phones, no sir. My good-ol-fashioned land line phone will do me just fine. Everyone always tells me I sound very clear on my phone, they ask me "Randy, how do you sound so crisp and clear on your phone?" and I tell them "I'm using a land line! If you want to sound clear, take your cell phone and throw it in the trash!" This new technology is a load of garbage if you ask me.
Copper land lines are probably the most reliable, old fashioned but reliable.

Copper land lines are probably the most reliable, old fashioned but reliable.
We used to have an office in south Jersey, whose pots lines went down whenever it rained. Why it cost us money was the lines supported the Veeder Root system for the fuel pumps. All of that stuff got converted to fiber. It is rather a joke to see those small business ONTs tacked up in the MDFs. Imagine each one supports only 4 lines. All the real estate and power. Not thought through

Try having a business.

Most of you complain about a couple spams a week. I used to have 3 phones. Retired then two phones. Now 1 phone not too bad. But with the phone # on the bike biz web site it was insane.
OMG

I hang up on 5-10 automated spam calls a day.

I also hang up on my share of cold calls a day.

Back