Selling things on Facebook.

I’m not very worldly as I’ve only sold 3 items on FB marketplace. Unfortunately, with everything I’ve sold, I received many generic “Is this still available?” messages.

I see people saying they will not respond to those messages, but it’s my understanding you can also be reported for being none responsive. My luck, I’d ignore 1 out of the 20 and get reported. Is this a reason for any concern?

Never really had a problem. I give away a lot of stuff too. There are tons of flakes, not much different than Craig's list to me.

I have ignored a bunch of flakes, never had a problem.

Nope, no concern. Lots of them are fake/bots and won't bother with the report. I'll reply with a yes or no answer after taking a look at their profiles.

People get mad at those asking if it's still available, not understanding that Facebook auto fills the message with that.

But a lot of people will ask and then you respond and they never respond back.
Yes it auto fills, but you as the user can change the message.

i've had better luck on offerup, plus my friend circle doesn't need to see what i'm selling.
I may try that.

I know what you mean about my friend circle seeing my goods. You can choose not to have it appear as a post for your friends, which I always do, but I guess they could see it if they searched marketplace. A lesser deal IMO at that point. Heck, if they searched what I’m selling and have interest, I’d be more inclined to sell it to them. Lol.

I’m not very worldly as I’ve only sold 3 items on FB marketplace. Unfortunately, with everything I’ve sold, I received many generic “Is this still available?” messages.

I see people saying they will not respond to those messages, but it’s my understanding you can also be reported for being none responsive. My luck, I’d ignore 1 out of the 20 and get reported. Is this a reason for any concern?
I wouldn't give it a second thought. This is the first I've ever heard of getting reported for not answering. Anyhow, I just put "Will not respond to 'is this available', if listed I still have it." Lots of people do it to 'bookmark' the ad in order to find it again quickly. I would not worry about getting reported.

I have had great experiences selling and buying. Craigslist is basically dead.
+1. Of course not all experiences or interactions are positive but that's dealing with people and it's just the way it is. I tried Offerup once and it was a joke. Facebook Marketplace is overall the best platform these days. Agree that Craigslist is dead. I've also found people tend to post cheap/free furniture on Nextdoor.

The is it still available question is often followed by someone who wants to buy it right away at your full asking price. Then it progresses into them wanting to send you a code that you can then send back to them so that they can verify youre legit.
Dont fall for the code trick, they are trying to hack you. I also give a vague location of where I am until I get a response to when they want to come pick it up. My phone number is the last thing I give them and then I insist on them texting me so I can reply with the address.
It has become a dance but lately it seems to have tapered off a little.

I never respond to is this available and have sold lots of items on FB marketplace. I take Venmo and PayPal for holds. Lots of people just pay and do a porch pickup and you never have to see them or be home. It's easy to weed out the scammers etc. Some people have a buying history where it shows how good they respond to messages. The trick is price your items to sell to reduce work on the sellers end.

Unfortunately, with everything I’ve sold, I received many generic “Is this still available?” messages.

I see people saying they will not respond to those messages, but it’s my understanding you can also be reported for being none responsive.
"Is this still available" is the stock boilerplate one click question Facebook provides the buyer in all your ads, thinking most people are too stupid to come up with their own opening question when responding to an ad. You can play along just as well because FB thinks sellers are just as stupid so as to provide them with a stock boilerplate reply, "Yes, are you still interested?" I just click on that instead of wasting time creating a unique answer. It usually goes no further, but occasionally a buyer will continue and ask something meaningful which may result in a sale. If people will not respond to those messages, there is a 100% chance you won't make a sale to them.

You're not required to respond to anybody, but then why place the ad. I'm not sure if you can be reported for being none responsive, but if so, who cares?

Probably about half of the cars I’ve asked legitimate detail questions about have replied. I think I’m going to start reporting them.

Ironically had another ad up. I bought a tool belt (with various pouches) on a whim last fall that I am not using. New just dusty. Easily $100 new. Being in the trades, I see many guys starting out with nothing so I figured I somebody was going to get an exceptional deal.

Started at $60. Ended at $40. Only a few bites.. 2 of which wanted me to deliver ~20 miles. I took the ad down and decided to keep them.

Back