I wonder if It did any damage ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I let my sister drive my truck today for various reasons and When she pulled in she said "Your truck sure does sound good" at this point Im just think well thanks. then she says "But when your in park it will only go to 4KRpm's" then Im like
shocked.gif
. I think she said she done it 5-6 times keep in mind this is when the truck was cold. Do you all think it done any appreciable damage to the life of my engine ?
confused.gif

No. Assuming everything else is in good shape it won't hurt it at all.

Now if you did it every day first thing when the engine was cold it might take a few thousand miles off. But 5-6 times? It was probably treated a lot worse than that when it was new on the dealers lot.

This sounds like a guy at my church. Every time it lets out, he gets in his car, starts it and bounces the engine off the rev limiter for 10 seconds. It makes me cringe! I'm sure he does this all the time.

shes a Computer science major. She's smart in some areas and down right dumb in others. Usually except for when someone on the freeway is being a little smart and I have to. I keep my rpms under 3 when the engine is cold. So everyone pretty much agress tho that this dint do any damage to my engine.

Ask her if it revs higher when in neutral.
I'm going to guess she's your older sister, or she would know better than to abuse your stuff?

Racecars usually warm up their engines before racing but if you had a good oil in your vehicle I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I know how you feel - I keep my RPMS as low as I can when cold starting until temp gauge gets completely up. I baby my car. I'd die if someone did that to my car
tongue.gif

Matt_S - seems like there are a lot of people like that. Had someone I knew say "Oil needs to be warmed up for it to get into the engine." Upon startup he'd close to readline the thing for almost a minute. I know he doesn't have the van anymore
tongue.gif

Yeah she is my older sister Im about twice her size tho (Shes about 5,4 100 Lbs Im 6,7 almost 220 Lbs.) Ive got Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w30 in their right Now I'll prob have a Oil anaylsis done when it reaches around 3000 miles to see if their was any damage done to it.

Is the truck an automatic? I know some Ford and GM cars limit the rpms in park or neutral to 4000, apparently to keep people from killing themselves if the transmission drops into gear, or just to protect the transmission itself from neutral bombs. Something like that, anyway I can't really see any problems arising from it, unless she did it right from a dead cold start and like held it there for 5 minutes or so.

There shouldn't be any damage done, I wouldn't worry about it. You should really ask her why and how she did it though, and how many times. Find out the details. It is possible that she doesn't know what she is doing. It could just be a lack of education, or maybe she just ran the engine up waiting at a stoplight to listen to how it sounds.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:
This sounds like a guy at my church. Every time it lets out, he gets in his car, starts it and bounces the engine off the rev limiter for 10 seconds. It makes me cringe! I'm sure he does this all the time.

The guy across the street from me has a Lexus GS 430 that starts it up with his foot on the accelerator. He woke up my infant daughter twice, my wife had words with him, and he doesn't do it anymore. H**l hath no fury like a sleepless Mom (or something like that). I am sure he beleives that everyone thinks he is cool; "Look at me! I am destroying a $55K automobile!".

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:

My late Grandfather did this in his Plymouth Voyager all the time. By his late 80's he couldn't hear very well, so when he would start his engine he would just floor the throttle until he felt vibrations from the engine to confirm he had a running engine. It sounded horrible, but it worked for him.

I offered to put a tach in the car, so he could see the engine running but he thought his way worked just fine, and, for the most part it did -he only blew two engines before he got his keys taken away. But they never expired at start up - all were open road failures.

quote:

Originally posted by adam123:
shes a Computer science major. She's smart in some areas and down right dumb in others. Usually except for when someone on the freeway is being a little smart and I have to. I keep my rpms under 3 when the engine is cold. So everyone pretty much agress tho that this dint do any damage to my engine.

well then take a big magnet and ask if you can use her computer. then place the magnet on the hard drive. then walk up to her and say you know your computer dont like magnets too well. then she will understand not to do that to a vehicle.

An older co-worker rev'd his car's motor mercilessly just before shutting it down in the morning upon arrival and immediately after startup at the end of the day. There were no rev-limiters on those carbureted motors. He managed 70-odd thousand total accumulated miles before the motor spun a bearing one evening in the parking lot. I sure don't know how though.

I think she was doing it to hear the exhaust which has a Cutout rigged so when the throttle is pressed all the way down the Electronic Cutout Opens Making the thing deafening. And yeah it's a 05 Dodge 4.7 So it has a 4K Rpm limiter when idling in neutral or park.

Forgot to Add Ive got to tow about 6,000 Lbs tommorow for around 50 miles so thats one of the reasons Im kinda worried about it right now. Im really wanting to keep this truck.

Adam123,

while not going to be in any max life how to lists, if that's the greatest thing you've got to worry about, buddy you got a great life! If you've got that sort of exhaust apparatus What do you think ANYONE who knows about it's gonna do if you let them behind the wheel? Bet yer @$$ I'd hear it !

Bob

It sounds like there is a rev limiter incorporated in the ECU so that you minimize or eliminate the possibility of damage [reving in neutral or park].
I have a friend [of the girl species] that drove a brand new Taurus home, and threw the rods through the radiator and hood when she held the gas to the floor after it's second cold start.

quote:

Originally posted by mechtech:
It sounds like there is a rev limiter incorporated in the ECU so that you minimize or eliminate the possibility of damage [reving in neutral or park].
I have a friend [of the girl species] that drove a brand new Taurus home, and threw the rods through the radiator and hood when she held the gas to the floor after it's second cold start.

Must have been something really wrong with that engine if it grenaded after only 2 full throttle cold starts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back