I want to try a "designer" oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, the saying "you get what you pay for" is overused. It's not always true that paying more for something nets you a better product. Sometimes a product is just more expensive for reasons that have nothing to do with how good it is (low volume production, poor supply lines, long shipping distances, etc.). Heck, sometimes the price is held high even though it could be lower, just to make a product SEEM better. Won't name names there but I'm sure everyone can come up with at least a list of suspects.

Point is, yes, better things are usually more expensive -- BUT, don't assume something is automatically better just because it's more expensive.

Now, if you want to say "don't expect what you aren't pay for," that's different. But that might be a little too much logical finnagling for one post...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I wish you hadn't posted that.
Now I will go and look at their site and probably plan my first Redline OCI.
Darn you!
Just checked the site.
The Redline 0W-30 would be about $10.00/qt.
If I ran it even 7K (it could surely do more miles), cost per mile for the '99 Accord or the Sube would be only .7 cents.
Take it out to 10K, which is probably realistic, and cost per mile is a mere .5 cents. Less than a cup of Starbucks each fortnight.
Just the sheer fun of pouring something completely different in the engine sometimes makes us spend money frivolously, if harmlessly.
Would I notice a difference?
I am confident that I would.
You do get what you pay for.

I have been on their site for a couple of nights now reading about their oils. The 0w30 is the most impressive to me, IIRC it's the only one that falls into my 0w30-40 weight range that has an ACEA A5/B5 rating. I have used A1/B1 and A3/B3, but if I could get both in the same package, that would be wicked!

I think I can reset my SRI to come on at 15K miles, and with a couple of UOAs, and the fact that I drive 180 miles a day, 90% highway, I think I could get away with 15K OCIs. In the end, saving money and time since I wouldn't have to bring my car into the shop every six weeks.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Personally if I was going to spend some $$ for oil, there is no question I'd go with Amsoil SSO in 0w-30 weight.

I'd get it from one of the board sponsors.
thumbsup2.gif

But this is from someone who has had many engines still going with 200k+, 300k+ and close to 400k on whatever oil was on sale.
grin2.gif

Take care, bill
Just think on how much better it would be to say I have an engine with 300,000 miles still running great using Redline oil changed at 5,000 mile intervals . Nothing like it.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Won't name names there but I'm sure everyone can come up with at least a list of suspects.

LOL at least one or two. Sometimes there is psychology in higher prices, and a lot of people fall for that trap. If it costs more it must be good. Not always, especially in liquid car care products.

Originally Posted By: hpichris
For some reason. The term designer oil makes me think Dolce & Gabbana or Versace is about to slap their name on motor oils.

I would be all over some D&G oil!

Please tell me you never bought this

Nope. I only buy "Mil-spec" phones. Currently, I have a Motorola Tundra.

However, I do have one of those boxes that my cologne came in.

I heard the Dolce & Gabbana 5w-30 is not a true synthetic. Apparently in Europe they call the (American Formula) Dolce & Banana since there is no PAO in it.

I can't see myself out in a store for oil or much of anything else.Just got oil filter Amsoil nano filter/wiper blades delivered Friday for the Mercury.Have Amsoil 0w20 on hand.Its time for its once a year this month.

You are right, of course.
I do think you get what you pay for in Redline or Amsoil, although at least part of their price premium may be due to relatively low volume and a high cost end-user distribution network.
In the case of Amsoil, you are paying for the services of an individual dealer, although we have some on this board I would enjoy buying from.
In the case of Redline, its either online ordering, involving shipping costs, whether bundled ("free") or not, or a small indie performance shop.
I did not mean to imply that higher price equates with better quality in all cases.
That is the trend line through the scatter points on the graph however, metaphorically speaking.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You are right, of course.
I do think you get what you pay for in Redline or Amsoil, although at least part of their price premium may be due to relatively low volume and a high cost end-user distribution network.
In the case of Amsoil, you are paying for the services of an individual dealer, although we have some on this board I would enjoy buying from.
In the case of Redline, its either online ordering, involving shipping costs, whether bundled ("free") or not, or a small indie performance shop.
I did not mean to imply that higher price equates with better quality in all cases.
That is the trend line through the scatter points on the graph however, metaphorically speaking.

You and I, sir, we can agree.
cheers3.gif

lol@the photochops!

Doesnt the OP mean "boutique" and not "designer"? Yes designer conjures up images of D&G oil, but it would probably mean a custom blend made for a specific application. Boutique is a nice word people use for higher priced products from small oil blenders, but all are certainly not equal. Not knocking Royal Purple but despite being called boutique, theyre certainly not on a Redline level IMO.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
People will try and make you feel bad like you're committing a crime for buying an expensive oil as if the money is coming out of their pockets. We all know the pros and cons of expensive oils vs what's on sale. Nothing wrong with wanting the best. I have to place another vote for Redline. Just ordered 4 gallons of 5w-30.

Well said, BuickGN. Many people on BITOG support penny pinching. That's an admirable trait, especially in this tough economy. Unfortunately, they tend to be closed minded to people with different priorities: experimentation, high performance, low wear, etc. Honestly, I get tired of the constant putdowns about “wasting money” on high-end oil. People should be allowed to chose their own approach to their vehicle, not have it dictated by others.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bruce T
Originally Posted By: BuickGN
People will try and make you feel bad like you're committing a crime for buying an expensive oil as if the money is coming out of their pockets. We all know the pros and cons of expensive oils vs what's on sale. Nothing wrong with wanting the best. I have to place another vote for Redline. Just ordered 4 gallons of 5w-30.

Well said, BuickGN. Many people on BITOG support penny pinching. That's an admirable trait, especially in this tough economy. Unfortunately, they tend to be closed minded to people with different priorities: experimentation, high performance, low wear, etc. Honestly, I get tired of the constant putdowns about “wasting money” on high-end oil. People should be allowed to chose their own approach to their vehicle, not have it dictated by others.

I feel the same way. My vehicles pretty much all start life off the same way, premium synthetic oil, then when they become beater status I use dino oil. After joining Bitog I started switching brands of oil something I usually didn't do.

I feel if someone wants to pay top $$ for a designer oil it's their right. Did I waste money? Probably, but when it comes time to sell one of my fleet they usually go very fast and fetch top $$. Because of the maint records I keep and the products I used to service them. If a person can afford to pay for designer oil and wants to use it more power to them! JMO

Till recently I thought I was using designer oils. M1. The most expensive at Walmart. LOL!! Just recently learned of Amsoil, Redline etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back