I want to try a "designer" oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing wrong with Amsoil.

OTOH, (and IMO!)

Redline is a small, US based company that gives straightforward answers to customers questions. IMO, they more than deserve the business. Their oil is as good as anything you can buy.

Originally Posted By: KLowD9x
I have been using Mobil1 0w40 for almost the entire life of the car, save for three oil changes with GC, but at almost eight dollars a quart, I might as well get something crazy.

Which should I get, Red Line or Amsoil?

Personally, I like Red Line better.

Where are you finding it for $8/quart? Going price for Mobil synthetics is $6.50/quart (sometimes less, $22/gallon) in the south and midwest. Wal-mart, Autozone etc is where I've seen it for $6.50.

You might try Rotella T 5w40 for $4.50/quart.

If I were going to use a designer oil I'd pick Red Line. Dad was using Amsoil, placed about a $300 order with them last year, has about another $300 for this year. Now they're looking for another $20 to renew his PC membership. For what he spent they should waive the fee, they probably won't so he's swinging over to Red Line. I like Amsoil a lot too, but told him to use RL from the beginning. My feeling is a company that wants business should make buying from them a breeze and not cost them a fee for a discount, off an inflated list price. JMO

Originally Posted By: KLowD9x
I think it is just a desire to "feel" something from different oils. Which, my logical self knows won't happen, but my OCD self feels, if I pay twice as much per quart for oil, then it should feel twice as nice!"

It will not. There is really no difference between brand X or oil type Z and others.

But you know that...
48.gif

People hope and when you are spending $$ for oil that really is not needed things seem to happen in our "rearend dynos".
21.gif

Take care, bill

When I switched from GC and BMW 5w-30 to Motul 8100 X-Max 5w-30, I got less oil consumption, higher average fuel economy, and less mpg drop over a longer OCI, PLUS the butt dyno stuff (smoother, freer revving, etc.)...

Was the difference worth paying twice as much? Can't speak for everyone on that, but I definitely got something out of it.

People will try and make you feel bad like you're committing a crime for buying an expensive oil as if the money is coming out of their pockets. We all know the pros and cons of expensive oils vs what's on sale. Nothing wrong with wanting the best. I have to place another vote for Redline. Just ordered 4 gallons of 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
People will try and make you feel bad like you're committing a crime for buying an expensive oil as if the money is coming out of their pockets. We all know the pros and cons of expensive oils vs what's on sale. Nothing wrong with wanting the best. I have to place another vote for Redline. Just ordered 4 gallons of 5w-30.

Order me a case of Redline 0w30
grin2.gif

Once I got through the 3000 mile OCI withdrawals I drove two cars 150k on 20k to 25k or so OCI with Amsoil.No oil related issues and insides of engines best as could be seen were clean.I run Amsoil products front to back on everything I own that takes gear oil,motor oil,hyd.fliud etc.I like their products and ease of shopping with big brown delivery.

Last edited:
I was considering using a designer oil. Just can't see myself paying shipping charges for oil.

Originally Posted By: stenerson
I was considering using a designer oil. Just can't see myself paying shipping charges for oil.

Find a local dealer of Amsoil, Redline or Schaeffers? (or other designer oil)

ogracing.com sells redline at good prices, and if you order over $100 shipping is free. I just ordered from them. I placed my order late at night and they shipped it the next morning.

I wish you hadn't posted that.
Now I will go and look at their site and probably plan my first Redline OCI.
Darn you!
Just checked the site.
The Redline 0W-30 would be about $10.00/qt.
If I ran it even 7K (it could surely do more miles), cost per mile for the '99 Accord or the Sube would be only .7 cents.
Take it out to 10K, which is probably realistic, and cost per mile is a mere .5 cents. Less than a cup of Starbucks each fortnight.
Just the sheer fun of pouring something completely different in the engine sometimes makes us spend money frivolously, if harmlessly.
Would I notice a difference?
I am confident that I would.
You do get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back