I sure do miss cheap oil.

I worked at an auto parts store here in Canada for a while as a kid in the late 90’s and also remember a quart of brand name conventional was 99 cents. Jugs were $4.69.
+1
I recall buying 5L jugs of M1 for 22-25 back in the mid 00's.
Those same jugs go for at least 50-60 now :(

+1
I recall buying 5L jugs of M1 for 22-25 back in the mid 00's.
Those same jugs go for at least 50-60 now :(

You can still get the two pack of jugs of Kirkland Synthetic for $25 each every day at Costco in Canada though, and it goes on sale for $20 a jug a couple of times a year too. And today's Kirkland is better quality than 20 year old M1. And even if you still want to stick with M1, Walmart just had a sale here selling 5qt jugs for $35.

I wasn't around in the early 90's, I'm not aware of late 1900's oil pricing 👀
I haven't paid more than $2 per qt in over a year, I refuse to at this point
Historical pricing for reference

I do remember turning the age where I went with Dad to AutoZone for consumables
~2007 or so we got our first AZ stores, more convenient than the jobber counter or independent warehouse
5qts of GTX 10w30 and a OCOD Fram Extra Guard was ~$18 OTD 🤷‍♂️
Quite quaint in hindsight OP, you've got a very good point
gmpc-oil-prices.jpg

I also suspect, much like tires, that todays oils are a better product for the money 🤔

Last edited:
I wasn't around in the early 90's, I'm not aware of late 1900's oil pricing 👀
I haven't paid more than $2 per qt in over a year, I refuse to at this point
Historical pricing for reference

I do remember turning the age where I went with Dad to AutoZone for consumables
~2007 or so we got our first AZ stores, more convenient than the jobber counter or independent warehouse
5qts of GTX 10w30 and a OCOD was ~$18 OTD 🤷‍♂️
Quite quaint in hindsight OP, you've got a very good point
gmpc-oil-prices.jpg

I also suspect, much like tires, that todays oils are a better product for the money 🤔
I don’t think we say OCOD any more.

From my perspective, having used mostly M1 from the early/mid-90s forward, the price has gone up, but not by much.

IIRC, back then, $3-4/qt on sale was a good deal. Today, $5/qt in jug form from WM on rollback is not hard to get. They'll even deliver it to your door. And if you get lucky with a price mistake, like on those 3-jug packs they've sold for 1-jug pricing, it's even less.

What I think has happened is as "conventional" oils have improved, and closed the performance gap with synthetics, the price gap has also closed to meet those better metrics.

Can't find a $1/qt cheap conventional now, but still not hard to find a $4-5/qt synthetic, at least at WM.

That's provided one is willing to do a little shopping, and not pay shelf prices, especially at an auto parts chain.

Are Canuck M1 jugs now 5 qts? Weren't they 5 ltr in the past?

When I discovered BITOG in the early '00's, I was buying oil after rebate for .49c-.69c/qt.
There were even double rebates going on at that time from the oil co. & the parts store that I purchased from.
Often allowing me to profit a $mall amount when all was said & done. For example:

When I started DIY in the late 90s the 12 packs of quart bottles were where it's at. They had 5 qt jugs but they weren't as prevalent. I got lots of Superflo and Havoline for 69 cents after rebate from Ames or Rite-Aid, now both out of business in my area, LOL.

5 quarts of M1 "Tri-Synthetic" at WM ranged from $15-20. Now I can get it for $22-28 while my salary has tripled to quadrupled.

Tires are cheaper now than they ever were, adjusted for inflation. But a lot of cars take "better" stupid low profile oversized ones. A 195/65r15 for example has never been cheaper.

Back