I really want to get a subaru but need convinced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
80 replies and still no one is convinced...

Well, you have those who've actually owned Subarus and liked them and then you have those who know some girl who's cousins mothers hairdressers boyfriends sister had one and it was a horrible thing.
My advice to the OP would be to listen to those of us who've actually owned Subies and to ignore those with no base of experience with the marque, just as one should do in considering any other purchase.
If the OP really needs convincing, maybe he's Equinox, Escape or RAV4 material.

Originally Posted By: ENGINEER60
ALL cvts are garbage.

Subaru's CVT is one of the best in the business, and probably the best in its price range. I have a hard time getting used to a traditional automatic again when I have to drive a car which uses one, though I gather Subaru have added fake shifts to their new CVT to appease those who whine about it 'sounding weird'.

Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
Whoopty doo for Subaru. Convinced?

Well, if that doesn't convince the OP then nothing will.
LOL!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
80 replies and still no one is convinced...

Well, you have those who've actually owned Subarus and liked them and then you have those who know some girl who's cousins mothers hairdressers boyfriends sister had one and it was a horrible thing.
My advice to the OP would be to listen to those of us who've actually owned Subies and to ignore those with no base of experience with the marque, just as one should do in considering any other purchase.

I have mentioned it before on here. I had one...got rid of it at 60,0000 miles. EASILY one of the worst cars I have ever owned.

My advice to the OP would be to listen to those of us who've actually owned Subies and to ignore those with no base of experience with the marque [...]

This is akin to the argument than only someone with STD is qualified to offer advice on how to not contract one.

I haven't made any final decisions but I think the 3 cars I'm going to test drive are the Forester, Cherokee and Elantra. Due to the fear of oil consumption and complaints about the CVT on the forester forums, it will need to be really impressive to get me to take the plunge.

I just have to decide if I want economy or comfort with 4x4.

I appreciate all the people who gave their serious input.

Originally Posted By: carguy996
There are plenty of commercials about Subaru safety, one of my buddies was driving this 2011 Subaru Tribeca last summer when he got broadsided by a taxi cab going 40mph that ran a stop sign. The impact sheared the rear wheel off literally sending it through the air landing on the hood of a vehicle on the opposite side of the intersection. The car was totaled, but the structure of this car was impressive and very well built with almost zero intrusion to the passenger compartment. He walked away without a scratch. His family now all has Subaru cars to drive after this. I was always on the fence on whether or not I would buy one, but I have added Subaru's to my list when its time to replace a car. When its time to replace the Odyssey, I plan to take a serious look at the new Subaru Ascent SUV.

That's all well and good but you do realize that there are plenty of cars with a crash structure as good or even better than Subaru, right? You have an Odyssey and Honda is a good example of a company that engineers and builds excellent crash structures into their cars.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
That's all well and good but you do realize that there are plenty of cars with a crash structure as good or even better than Subaru, right? You have an Odyssey and Honda is a good example of a company that engineers and builds excellent crash structures into their cars.

When we bought the Forester, one of the strikes against the CR-V that we also test-drove was that it had pretty poor results in one of the new crash tests. They fixed that in the current model, but Subaru were certainly ahead of them at the time. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Subaru platform puts them ahead again, at least for a while.

+1. Subaru is a polarizing brand, and IMO it's because of image, not substance. I was firmly in the "I'll never own one" category until my wife brought one (Forester) home. It's an awesome vehicle. The more I get to know it and work on it the more I appreciate it. Zero issues, and it goes in bad weather like nothing else. Subaru is the Fram of passenger vehicles.

Originally Posted By: 853okg
+1. Subaru is a polarizing brand, and IMO it's because of image, not substance. I was firmly in the "I'll never own one" category until my wife brought one (Forester) home. It's an awesome vehicle. The more I get to know it and work on it the more I appreciate it. Zero issues, and it goes in bad weather like nothing else. Subaru is the Fram of passenger vehicles.

It seems the CVTs are not very DIY friendly.

Are the differential fluids easy to drain/refill? Do the foresters have the oil filter located up top where you replace it from above?

Originally Posted By: carguy996
. . .

Look at that thing! Barely scratched and wheels fall off!
grin.gif

To be serious, I, too, admire the brand. My concern is, except for the WRX, the other models feel underpowered, even the F6 Outback. Also, if you don't have a recurrent need for FWD, what is definitely an asset in inclement weather becomes unnecessary weight and complexity that needs to be maintained.

Bought my Terrain just over a year ago from the local Chevy/Cadillac/GMC dealer. The salesman told me that GM bought a lot of technology from Subaru to use on GM AWD vehicle's. I think he was telling me a tall tale. I have thought hard about a new Legacy. The biggest things that hold me back is their below average reliability ratings, and poor performance from the 2.5 boxer engine.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
Bought my Terrain just over a year ago from the local Chevy/Cadillac/GMC dealer. The salesman told me that GM bought a lot of technology from Subaru to use on GM AWD vehicle's. I think he was telling me a tall tale. I have thought hard about a new Legacy. The biggest things that hold me back is their below average reliability ratings, and poor performance from the 2.5 boxer engine.

Hahaha really? Below average reliability ratings... Poor performance from the newer FB25...

Originally Posted By: HM12460

Good thing you didn't buy a 2018 Terrain.
They seem to have some pretty serious recalls going on at the moment...
Quote:

FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP
May 31 2018
A damaged fuel line can create a fuel leak, increasing the risk of a fire.
Read Recall Details
AIR BAGS: AIR BAG CONTROL MODULE
May 24 2018
If the SDM becomes inoperative, it will not detect a crash or command the necessary air bag deployment, increasing the risk of injury in the event of a crash.
Read Recall Details
POWER TRAIN:DRIVELINE:DRIVESHAFT
Aug 22 2017
If the front right intermediate drive shaft assembly separates while driving, the vehicle will lose propulsion, increasing the risk of a crash. If the assembly separates while parked on a grade, without the park brake engaged, the vehicle may move unintentionally, increasing the risk of a vehicle roll-away.

Anyways, I'm not going to say the Outback is the bestest greatest car ever, but other than the uninspiring engine sounds, I can't complain about it too much, the 2.5 is what it is, and I didn't feel the need to get a 2.0T in a Escape or GM something, although that's what subaru is putting in the next generation.

I have a 2004 Subaru Outback that has 337500+ on it. Changed the radiator at 300k and the original alternator went out last month at 337k. Engine burns 1qt every 2500 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back