I really want to get a subaru but need convinced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Does your post have a point, or did you just feel the need to post what you thought was a cool picture you happened to see?

"They lived" (quote for a Subaru ad campaign from couple years ago, where they showed photos of mangled vehicles).

SatinSilver,
You are also over due for a true sandwich photo this month.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
SatinSilver,
You are also over due for a true sandwich photo this month.

I had a Boar's Head Roast Beef sub the other day. It was so big I brought it over to my mom's house to split it. It had swiss, horseradish sauce, lto, etc.....excellent! And no food coma since splitting it. You have your choice of rare roast beef or cooked. Went with the rare this time. Here are some pics off their yelp reviews. It was hard to avoid their bakery esp the cannoli.

Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
Looks like the Subaru came out on top.

Well that's a picture of three Subarus all in the high speed lane crunched up. Kind of hard to make out the middle car but it's indeed a Subaru Impreza I believe, older model.

Subarus are a bit off of the mainstream and a little quirky but have definitely developed a devoted following. Based on my experience so far, I like them.

Our '14 Crosstrek has a 5 quart oil capacity and although we have experienced no oil burning issues, it was a welcome change to the 3.5 quart capacity of our previous Civic.

Other than a recent AC issue that has been corrected, our Crosstrek has been great for 60k miles. We plan to keep this car for the long term so time will tell.

I had a 2009 Forester. I'd never own a Subaru again.

The maintenance is a PITA. This SUV was INCREDIBLE in the snow and mud. No doubt.

But the 4 cylinder didn't provide enough power for our liking. That boxer engine made it drive and sound like a tractor.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I have always wanted a Subaru for some odd reason and I'm not sure why. I have recently submerged myself into massive amounts of research looking at the Legacy and Forester. Of course whenever you hit a subaru forum, the place is littered with oil consumption threads. I realize this can be highly misleading but it seems to be a major concern for me. I like cars that have no measurable oil consumption during an OCI. There are no polls/threads that I could find where people were claiming to have no consumption so I really don't have a clue how small of an issue this is.

And yes, I know full well every carmakter out there is having these issues. You can google any car model and "oil consumption" and find massive issues including lawsuits. So it isn't a Subaru only thing but I'm still a bit leery.

How many people here own a 2016+ FB25B engine and don't have any measurable consumption?

Are there any other quirks to owning a FB25? It sounds like there used to be head gasket issues on pre-FB25B but not anymore?

Are there any other quirks to subarus in general? Do they make good AC systems? Is the CVT reliable (plenty of complaints about those, too)? Is it easy to work on yourself? Do any wear items go bad faster due to being AWD?

Anyway....feel free to brag about your subaru here, too.

My daughter has a 2015 Legacy that has a FB25B that uses only about 1/2 quart in 6k mile intervals. Break-in varied between her driving (pretty much by the book) and her husband's more enthusiastic higher rpm driving.
19.gif

For someone that's driving an old school manual Subaru I actually enjoy Eyesight. It saved my butt backing out of a parking space a couple of times in a crowded parking lot with people flying by like they're driving on the highway. The downside to the throttle is that it's very touchy (most reviews will mention this) and I'm a bit on the fence about the CVT. A dual clutch would be an easier transition for me.

Well we're at 3k miles and no significant oil burning so far. Averaging 28mpg in the same driving our 06 CRV was around 20, so its performing as expected. I can get into the high 30's for a road trip which I think is good for an AWD mid-size wagon.
If you don't need AWD, ground clearance, towing, and a bit more space, probably the VW wagon is a better car. But it wasn't going to cut it for us anyways. Ask me in 10 years how it is and I'll have a better answer.

I picked up a new base model Outback off the dealer's floor back in late 2013. 52,000 miles without a hiccup, including a few NY to Florida round trips hauling stuff. It will make another of these trips in a few weeks.

Easy. If you always wanted one and can afford it, buy one! Worst case scenario if it consumes oil or you don't like it as much as you thought you could sell it. Subarus sell very well around here.

Also keep in mind that most people go on car forums to complain about the issues they are having. For every 1 person complaining about problems there are several people who don't have issues but don't post to say their car is running just fine.

I think buying a Subaru and selling it if it had problems would be better than buying some other car you hate and then always wondering "what if" you bought the Subaru.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I have always wanted a Subaru for some odd reason and I'm not sure why. I have recently submerged myself into massive amounts of research looking at the Legacy and Forester. Of course whenever you hit a subaru forum, the place is littered with oil consumption threads. I realize this can be highly misleading but it seems to be a major concern for me. I like cars that have no measurable oil consumption during an OCI. There are no polls/threads that I could find where people were claiming to have no consumption so I really don't have a clue how small of an issue this is.

And yes, I know full well every carmakter out there is having these issues. You can google any car model and "oil consumption" and find massive issues including lawsuits. So it isn't a Subaru only thing but I'm still a bit leery.

How many people here own a 2016+ FB25B engine and don't have any measurable consumption?

Are there any other quirks to owning a FB25? It sounds like there used to be head gasket issues on pre-FB25B but not anymore?

Are there any other quirks to subarus in general? Do they make good AC systems? Is the CVT reliable (plenty of complaints about those, too)? Is it easy to work on yourself? Do any wear items go bad faster due to being AWD?

Anyway....feel free to brag about your subaru here, too.

Never had one, never would get one. They don't sell enough cars for me to be involved, too many past issues, and other autos now have AWD. No need to buy a subaru at this point.

My neighbor got one the same time we got our rav4, december 2013. My RAV4 has needed oil changes every 10K, and front brake pads at 50k. It now has 65k. Their orange subie blew up the motor 1.5 years in, sounds like [censored], and uses oil with the new engine too. No thanks

Owners that reply about reliability on cars that have had them for 2-4 years or 50,000 miles trying to quanitfy as long term might be fitting...for a Yugo....maybe...but no modern car. All I see is newish cars burning the same amount of oil or more than my 13 year old Buick does.

Put 100,00 miles on them and 5+ years and come back with a reliability report. If you really want to impress, 200,000 miles and 10+ years.

Last edited:
Owned 2. 1997 with 2.2 & now own a 2013 with a 2.5. Both N/A. Neither consumes oil, not a drop. I never put one part into the 97 except brakes and tires. Zero parts! Gave it to a family member after 140k, still going today. 2013 with CVT only has 48k and only had oil changes.

I have a 2016 Forester with a 2.5 and CVT. Best car I've ever owned. Perfect size for my needs, good gas mileage, decent performance. So far with about 29k, its been reliable with no unscheduled repairs. Zero oil consumption too. That said, and since you asked, its not perfect. The A/C is barely OK on very hot days and if that's important to you, keep looking. Also, the head unit/entertainment center, not sure what it's called, is pretty bad: like something from 10 years ago. I can only describe it as slow and "clunky". Maybe the newer ones are better.

We drive a Subaru because we live on a dirt road in CO and it gets awful in the winters at times. Love the ground clearance on the the OB and the 2.5L is more than enough power for us. Neither my previous 1997 Legacy 2.2L or this 2018 Outback 2.5L burn any oil. We absolutely love the 18' so far. Smooth riding, quiet and very spacious. Oil changes and maintenance are a breeze.

2015 Forester with a little over 30,000 miles. No measurable oil consumption. Better fuel economy than our Civic around town, worse on the highway.

Problems: power tailgate doesn't always work below -15C. Clickers on the keys sometime don't work. Syncing phones is a pain: there are two ways to do it, and one of them doesn't work.

And... that's it, I think.

The only people I've seen complaining about oil burning on recent Foresters are driving manuals. Which may be why Subaru have dropped the manual option for the 2019.

Have a ton of Subies in the fleet at my work - Forester, Outback and Liberty (Legacy to the rest of the world - that name is already taken in Oz). Some of them use oil. Not all of them. They are all on a 12,500km service schedule, per the book.

Reliability wise, they're very good. Most of them get driven pretty hard, but even after 100,000km they still feel tight. No CVT issues, ever. As someone else mentioned, the AC is only average, and we don't get extremely hot days where I live. Fuel economy is actually pretty good. The stop/start can be switched off with the press of a button, and although I always deactivate it, it actually works fairly seamlessly.

Overall, I rate Subarus. I'd have no hesitation in owning one.

You may have seen some of my posts on late model Subarus given I've owned 3 new ones since 2011: 2012 Legacy, 2014 XV Crosstrek and 2016 Forester. They are nice vehicles, are fuel efficient, safe and about as inexpensive to insure than most new cars.

New ones come with horribly cheap tires and batteries. The OEM tires completely negate the great AWD system and the batteries have such a small CCA, that very cold starts can be an issue. The HVAC system always seemed to be undersized to me as well, on all 3 I owned. Much weaker than any other vehicle I've owned.

Paint and corrosion is still an issue with them, but then again, which new vehicle isn't this a problem on.

I also blew through a set of rear rotors and pads before 36K miles. I've found this to be common among Subaru owners, but I'm sure it's not a wide spread issue.

My favorite of the 3 was the Forester by far. My only complaint was the driver's seat comfort in base model trim like I had was bad for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back