I really want to get a subaru but need convinced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recently in the market for a new vehicle after my Colorado ate it's valves, and I talked to my mechanic about what cars are the ones I need to look at because he sees the good, the bad, and the ugly, and he told me to stay away from any car that has a CVT.

YMMV.

It took only one test drive for me and I was sold on Subaru's great outward visibility, easy well laid out controls (radio, HVAC), and great handling.

You don't have to take your eyes off the road to navigate complex controls, and you can see whats going on all around you with a simple quick look around. That's on top of very good crash test ratings.

Throw in excellent turning radius, nimble handling, and a very good CVT and you have an easy to drive, practical vehicle. All cars should have this good of visibility, and this logical control layout;it's a safety thing for sure.

Crosstrek and Outbacks are very capable and reliable as well as the Foresters. The Outbacks of 2018 model year are having a lot of Information system gremlins that Subaru has yet to get a handle on.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Subaru is a polarizing brand. I can't see myself owning one. The head gasket issues, the oil burning issues, the weird maintenance access issues, the rusty body issues, I just don't get the appeal.

I've never owned one, but our company had a 2006 Legacy sedan that I used often for business travel in Ontario, Michigan and it always left me sore and a smell of antifreeze each time I drove it.

Maybe if I was born in Vermont, female loving female I'd have a different perspective on this brand?

You are concerned about reliability issues with Subaru cars, yet you own two Nissans? That's too funny.

My Outback is the first Subaru I've owned. I bought it because everything I have studied suggested that Subaru AWD is superior to most all other AWD systems. And I've seem a lot of evidence towards that since then.

I was initially intimidated by maintenance on a Subaru, but am no longer. Except for spark plugs, it really isn't any different than any other car to work on. But then I've never had to get into the engine. I imagine that would be different.

It is pushing 110k miles, and has never been in the shop for a repair. My only complaint is that it is one of the '13-'14 2.5 engines that use oil. I go through a little more than a quart between 7500 mile oil changes. Would I buy another Subaru? Sure. In fact, given a choice between a Forester, a CRV, and a Rav4, it would be a Forester hands down. And I would buy a Legacy over an Accord or a Camry, primarily because of the AWD. If AWD were not a factor, I'd probably go for the Accord, but only if I were buying new. The older model Accords are pretty boring.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sgtrockjoe
Crosstrek and Outbacks are very capable and reliable as well as the Foresters. The Outbacks of 2018 model year are having a lot of Information system gremlins that Subaru has yet to get a handle on.

I think it's just the ones with the 8" screen with nav? The 7" screen system in ours seems to be working fine so far.

Originally Posted By: sgtrockjoe

My wife liked the 2018 Outback but got into tech part of cars and the found a info system off putting when the salesman let her take car for a spin compared to other stuff she tried(Honda/Mazda). I think all of them a little clunky apparently, she has apparently one of best systems(VW) according to reviewers in her recently purchased 2018 VW Tiguan(SUV) and on rare occasion it hiccups.

on the problems mentioned in these posts, like the head gaskets and the oil burning, -- how prompt was subaru in fixing them- not fixing the problem in a customers car, but stopping the factory from making more of the problems.
since some people drive high mileage, seems they would know about the pattern failures eary on?
how would you rate their changes to stop making more of them?
quick?, ok? slow?

Well, the final fix for the oil burning, at least in the Forester, seems to be to stop selling manual transmissions. They fixed the first source of oil burning (not sure what it was) a couple of years after the FB engine was released, and the second (defective piston rings) in 2014. Since then, as I mentioned, it largely affects manuals.

However, it's worth nothing that Consumer Reports survey showed the H6 is the biggest oil-burner in the Subaru family, and there were a couple of dozen cars that are more likely to burn significant amounts of oil than the FB-engined Subarus.

If you need a decent station wagon type vehicle or top tier AWD system that is nearly off road capable a Subaru is for you. Otherwise there a so many good choices but again the AWD even in the base models is top tier if that matters.

My extended family overall has 10 of them over the last 15 years. I would not say average to above average reliability each model with quirks. Just my parents have the 2015 Outback base model now with 32k they love the car. No oil burning, gets around 30MPG and has been reliable. No complaints from me on its CVT.

aaaathrow any car up for discussion and there will be love/hate.
I have a 2008 Forester with 181K miles. Had the head gasket done. The car is being given to grandchildren. Their mom had a 2008 also not a problem in 165K miles.

Oh yea I am expecting my wife's New forester any day. Subaru wrote the book on safety. All of their car lines passed the small overlap crash test without any redesign. Every other company had to redesign. I am getting the Turbo..250 HP. Try getting an other AWD SUV grocery getter that can keep up with it!

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Don't do it. The sound of the H4 will warp your brain.

I actually like the boxer engine. The smoothness and lack of balance shaft are very apparent. Very smooth. Really the oil consumption is my only hangup.

There are plenty of commercials about Subaru safety, one of my buddies was driving this 2011 Subaru Tribeca last summer when he got broadsided by a taxi cab going 40mph that ran a stop sign. The impact sheared the rear wheel off literally sending it through the air landing on the hood of a vehicle on the opposite side of the intersection. The car was totaled, but the structure of this car was impressive and very well built with almost zero intrusion to the passenger compartment. He walked away without a scratch. His family now all has Subaru cars to drive after this. I was always on the fence on whether or not I would buy one, but I have added Subaru's to my list when its time to replace a car. When its time to replace the Odyssey, I plan to take a serious look at the new Subaru Ascent SUV.

I think it was trav who has mentioned this before in regards to structural robustness of Subarus and I agree. What you can see and touch from the outside doesn't seem substantial at all. Panels feel flimsy. The hoods on my 3 Subarus jiggled and bounced at idle, etc. But, the magic metalwork underneath is very strong.

I'm sure that Ascent will sell as well as the Forester and Outback. I'm sure it will do better than the Isuzu Ascender (Chevy Trailblazer clone) that Subaru-Isuzu of America once made. LOL.

I've owned a 2014 Crosstrek and 2016 Crosstrek. The 14 got traded for a Charger and the 16 likewise. That being said I really liked both cars although I did find the seats uncomfotrable for me after sitting for awhile. I tend to change cars like some people change socks so I'm actually looking at the 18 Crosstrek. They have redesigned the seat pan so the issues that were bothering me before seem to have been eliminated. They have a new body platform as well that is supposed to deliver a more solid and comfortable ride. I did test drive a 18 last fall and was impressed on the quietness in the cabin vs either one of my previous Crosstreks.

I've been looking at the 18 as mentioned but am really enjoying the Charger and all the goodies it has...other than the MPG it's a great car lol Also if you want any of the entertainment amenities (SiriusXM) you need to purchase the more expensive Limited

On the Crosstrek forums the biggest griped seems to be the CVT really hunting and being clunky at low speeds...according to some undrivable. I never experienced that in either of mine.

No oil consumption in either Crosstrek

Originally Posted By: JTK
I think it was trav who has mentioned this before in regards to structural robustness of Subarus and I agree. What you can see and touch from the outside doesn't seem substantial at all. Panels feel flimsy. The hoods on my 3 Subarus jiggled and bounced at idle, etc. But, the magic metalwork underneath is very strong.

I'm sure that Ascent will sell as well as the Forester and Outback. I'm sure it will do better than the Isuzu Ascender (Chevy Trailblazer clone) that Subaru-Isuzu of America once made. LOL.

Very true on the flimsiness of the body panels on some of the new Crosstreks I've been looking at. It really varies from car to car though...some of the rear bumpers will flex and shake like crazy by pulling on the corner and others feel pretty solid. If I decide get another Crosstrek, I won't buy one sight unseen...it will have to pass my bumper test lol

ALL cvts are garbage.
Never buy ANYTHING with a CVT.
And like ALL new vevicles, they are made as cheap as possible with the cheapest parts and material they can get away with.

Last edited:
Blue_Goose, I had similar experiences with my 2014 XV Crosstrek. Seat discomfort and the for sure the bumper covers seemed like they'd fall right off, but thankfully never did.

I did unfortunately hit a large raccoon with my XV. Ran through the poor thing with the front left tire. The process of that destroyed only the fender liner, which is kind of a large, intricate, super flimsy plastic part. I tried ordering a replacement myself, but was confused by different p/n's. To my surprise, it only cost about $80 for a local body shop to order and pop a replacement in for me.

Originally Posted By: ENGINEER60
ALL cvts are garbage.
And like ALL new vevicles, they are made as cheap as possible with the cheapest parts and material they can get away with.

So yea-only buy Crown Vics........ There are not any better cars made in the last ten or fifteen years than a Crown Vic....especially outfitted with Michelins.

(Some of this stuff on this forum you couldn't make up......)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: ENGINEER60
ALL cvts are garbage.

So yea-only buy Crown Vics........ There are not any better cars made in the last ten or fifteen years than a Crown Vic....especially outfitted with Michelins Altimax RT43's.

(Some of this stuff on this forum you couldn't make up......)

I fixed it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back