I over filled the engine

This is not rocket science. Pull a plug, watch the oil drain, put the plug back in. Remove oil filter, put new one on. Pour in the required amount. YOU ARE DONE. 30+ years I have been doing this, never checked the oil level afterwards...because i just poured in the exact amount THE FREAKING MANUFACTURER told me to put in. If any of you messed up one of the incredibly simple 5 steps above, and want to check to make sure that the oil that you just poured in made its way to the oil pan, then by all means be my guest.
Not all the oil drains out. Takes ten seconds to check the oil level afterwards. More time than it takes to post angrily.

right, not all of the oil drains out. maybe a tenth of a quart stays in there....I don't care. The manufacturer of your car stated it has a ___ qt capacity. So you tighten the drain bolt and put on a new filter....then you put in ____ quarts. At this point I'm done. You may not be, i really don't care.

Well, I for one always depend on my doing everything 100% correctly all the time. When you have achieved perfection as I have there is no need to check your work. ;)

I’d just crawl back under and crack the drain plug and let a little out. Always run it for a few minutes after an oil change and let it set before checking it. That way your filter gets full and then add from there. Either way not a big deal

I'm not gonna argue anymore, you guys do it your way...I will do it the same way that I've been doing it for 30+ years with 0 problems.
Good luck with that. I suppose you'll close the barn doors after the horses have bolted too right?

Just because you've had good luck in the past doesn't mean that you'll have good luck in the future. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. People get distracted, people make mistakes. You've just been lucky so far.

Crank will hit the top of the oil (not supposed to normally.) Oil will be churned and aerated by crank. The aerated oil will not protect the engine. Bye, bye engine.
Modern vehicles have baffles to prevent this. Not saying it’s ok to overfill but in a modern vehicle even if you fill a quart over you are probably ok. My fusion has a metal plate with slots at the bottom of the block/top of oil pan to block wind coming off the crank from churning up the oil actually in the pan. 1/4 qt isn’t going to hurt anything.

Good luck with that. I suppose you'll close the barn doors after the horses have bolted too right?

Just because you've had good luck in the past doesn't mean that you'll have good luck in the future. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. People get distracted, people make mistakes. You've just been lucky so far.
yup, lucky for 30 years. Some people may say its a pattern.

I usually under-fill** about a pint, drive for a couple days and check again cold at the end of day
at the workplace. The is a nice, level parking lot there - and it irritates co-workers to see me under the hood.

Oh, I'm retired now. No Level workplace parking lot anymore !

Well flame on if you like but I intentionally over- fill ALL the vehicles I service. I’ve always felt that Sump capacity has an impact on oci length and overall engine lubrication & cleaning ability. It’s been my experience that Modern engines will not face any detrimental effects from this practice (within reason). The owners manual in my 2014 Regal turbo states that if auto crossing or running the vehicle hard it is ok to increase the oil capacity by 1 full quart, for a total of 7. I over fill by one pint to one quart in all the trucks/cars I service. Been doing this for over 20 years in probably 30 different vehicles. Zero issues.

I aim for the top line (full line) on the dipstick. If I'm a little high, meh. If I'm a little low, I add a little.

My long ago military experience got me into a habit of checking fluid levels very frequently. That has stayed with me for many years, although I don't do it as often as in years past.

Why are they irritated when they see you under the hood?
They say, " New cars don't use oil why are you checking? or "You mess with that you are going to break something!"

I also use to irritate them by opening the hood and prop it open a few inches with a soda bottle
when I parked the car on hot Summer days.
I have a very aggressive commute and my workplace is right off the highway.

They say, " Someone is going to steal your battery"
or "Don't you think the engineers took that into account when they designed it?"

I would say," Why expose component to extreme heat if you don't have to?"

They would reply, "That is just NUTS !"

I think they thought they were missing something, but they don't want the inconvenience or ridicule - or to admit it.

Last edited:
I changed the oil in my 2016 Mazda CX9 with 2.5l engine. It has just over a 5 quart capacity. I drained and filled yesterday with 5 quarts of supertech synthetic. Let it sit for 10 minutes and it was still low. Topped off slightly and it was right to the mark. Coming out to the garage this morning to recheck and it's about 1/4 quart passed the high mark. OK to run it or do I need to go through the pain and suffering of getting to the drain pan again to let a little out. My mityvac won't work through the dipstick tube.
I run 6 quarts in my 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. The owner's manual specs 5.1 quarts. Several Hyundai-certified techs told me to run 6 quarts if I want to keep my car for a long time. In my case, it helps with fuel dilution. You have nothing to worry about. Now, if you put in two quarts or more over what the manual says, then you're in real trouble.

Maybe in the old days the sump capacity had extra room so a certain amount of overfill wouldn’t hurt? The sumps today might require a more exact fill.
As a example, if you drain the oil right after running the engine and replace the drain plug when the drips slow you could have that ¼ quart still up in the motor. Add five quarts and you would be good to go. If you add the 5.3 or 5.4 quarts as the capacity states then you get the overfill.

I think that is why Mazda dealers put in five quarts and call it a day. The engines are warm when they do the service.
That's also correct, along with your second post. I usually let the car seat with the engine off for two days before I drain the oil and then let it drain for a couple of hours. That's why I usually change the oil on Sunday. That way, I can get most of the oil out with little of it left in the engine.

Back