I over filled the engine

That's an extra check in case you did something stupid like forget to add the right amount of oil, didn't tighten the drain plug, filter was loose, wrong filter, etc. Checking the oil afterwards just confirms everything is correct. Pretty much every packet of data sent on the internet has a checksum as part of the packet. Well over 99.99% of the time it's not needed, but it's there to tell you when there's an error.
This is not rocket science. Pull a plug, watch the oil drain, put the plug back in. Remove oil filter, put new one on. Pour in the required amount. YOU ARE DONE. 30+ years I have been doing this, never checked the oil level afterwards...because i just poured in the exact amount THE FREAKING MANUFACTURER told me to put in. If any of you messed up one of the incredibly simple 5 steps above, and want to check to make sure that the oil that you just poured in made its way to the oil pan, then by all means be my guest.

If you did it right, you dont need to check it...
How do you know it was done right unless you check it?

Even the most competent techs sometimes make a mistake ... leave the oil cap off, leave a tool in the engine compartment, I've even heard of someone actually forgetting to put the fresh oil into the sump.

If you're the kind of guy that doesn't do a final check before buttoning everything down, you're not going to work on my car.

This is not rocket science. Pull a plug, watch the oil drain, put the plug back in. Remove oil filter, put new one on. Pour in the required amount. YOU ARE DONE. 30+ years I have been doing this, never checked the oil level afterwards...because i just poured in the exact amount THE FREAKING MANUFACTURER told me to put in. If any of you messed up one of the incredibly simple 5 steps above, and want to check to make sure that the oil that you just poured in made its way to the oil pan, then by all means be my guest.
I worked in the mostly fleet maintenance for 35 years with many people and would not call them all techs, I recall one nice young man I was working with on large trucks he was watching me greasing the frt .end and said does my car have those things [fittings] I said It might, and said to myself wow better check every thing he does. Yea I would check your oil after someone other than you changed it. Lots of stories here, had a guy by mistake clicked the full on latch on the oil reel and walked away yea that was full to the top. Ever seen a full sized school bus fall off a over head lift, that will get your attention.

Yeah, like I said earlier, there's things that can happen. Like forget to make sure the old gasket is off, people double gasket sometimes and it leaks afterwards. Or getting the wrong filter, but that usually happens with the first oil change. Happened a long time ago with a friend of mine, he bought a used car and used the guide for the filter. Unfortunately it was one of those GM cars where the engine had been replaced with a different engine so the filter that was speced for the car didn't fit right. And of course people post all sorts of stories here of various errors. The check afterwards is to make sure you didn't make a mistake. I would suggest never being a pilot with your mentality, no need for checklists the way you think.

You guys double and triple check your work when you tie your shoes? Brush your teeth? Pour milk in your cereal? How error prone are you? Changing the oil is about as simple as any of those tasks.

Yeah, like I said earlier, there's things that can happen. Like forget to make sure the old gasket is off, people double gasket sometimes and it leaks afterwards. Or getting the wrong filter, but that usually happens with the first oil change. Happened a long time ago with a friend of mine, he bought a used car and used the guide for the filter. Unfortunately it was one of those GM cars where the engine had been replaced with a different engine so the filter that was speced for the car didn't fit right. And of course people post all sorts of stories here of various errors. The check afterwards is to make sure you didn't make a mistake. I would suggest never being a pilot with your mentality, no need for checklists the way you think.
A pilot? Lol...yeah, changing the oil requires going to aviation school.

I changed the oil in my 2016 Mazda CX9 with 2.5l engine. It has just over a 5 quart capacity. I drained and filled yesterday with 5 quarts of supertech synthetic. Let it sit for 10 minutes and it was still low. Topped off slightly and it was right to the mark. Coming out to the garage this morning to recheck and it's about 1/4 quart passed the high mark. OK to run it or do I need to go through the pain and suffering of getting to the drain pan again to let a little out. My mityvac won't work through the dipstick tube.
I ran two vehicles I owned that held 4.5 quarts of oil with 5 quarts for a few decades. Both lived long lives, fell apart from the ****ty roads we have in NY long before the engines died. In fact the engines didn't die, or have any problems. I'd find something else to worry about. ;)

After the "Free" oil changes provided by Toyota, I always do my own. They had a special for filter and Toyota bulk 0w16 for 14.00...so, I had them do one...much cheaper than I can do myself! They overfilled by what looks like about 1/3 inch on the dipstick. It's been run on the highway as well as around town for over 1000 miles. The oil level hasn't budged. This little volume of overfill is fine.

To the original poster. Have a look at your oil pan. It has a sump with a small cross section, and the main part of the pan with the large cross section. The design allows oil to be collected in the main part of the pan and is allowed to drop into the sump. Designs vary but I’d guess your fluid level is still down in the sump and is not getting near the crankshaft where it would be whipped up and frothed. No worries.
Would more than likely have to be overfill by quarts to perhaps cause damage, of course that is not a universal statement but

As mentioned, pretty common for...

4 cylinder, start with 4 quarts
6 cylinder, maybe start with 5.

If you are changing a filter, that could include the rounding up.

If you did not know an exact measurement of what your engine holds. This guesstimation, while just that, seems to work for imperfect oil changes.

Check the dipstick cold in the morning after wiping it, that is not every engine either..

To the OP: There has been much discussion on the Mazda CX 5 Forum and some discussion here regarding the accuracy of the published oil capacity in the 2.5L Skyactiv engines. Mazda says 4.8 quarts for the normally aspirated engine if you also change the filter, and 5.1 quarts for the turbocharged model.

It is wrong, unless you are satisfied with a dipstick reading that is somewhere between the low and high marks. I am not.
Each time I have changed the oil & filter on my 2019 CX 5 with the 2.5L turbo, I have had to add a 5 quart jug of oil and an additional 16 oz. of oil from a graduated measuring cup to get the oil to the top mark. That's 5.5 quarts.
And that is after letting the oil drain for at least a half hour. A few extra ounces of oil, like 3 or 4 won't hurt anything. But I sure wouldn't feel comfortable with a half quart or full quart overfill. I have also observed a very negligible difference when measuring the oil cold after sitting overnight, and warm. Like about 1/8" on the dipstick. I usually check it cold.

On the Hyundai 2.4 that were failing, Hyundai was installing a new dipstick which increased the oil capacity by one quart.

No biggie but if a stickler for the "F" mark, just open your Fumoto valve and drain the excess. Disregard if you don't have a Fumoto valve.

You guys double and triple check your work when you tie your shoes? Brush your teeth? Pour milk in your cereal? How error prone are you? Changing the oil is about as simple as any of those tasks.
I'll come in here in Barkleymut's defense - not that he need's any :)

I do pull the DS after an OC. but I don't add oil if its a bit low. That's just to make sure the funnel went in the fill hole and not that "other" hole one inch lower :)

If the Factory Service Manual says 4.5 qts with filter - that is what goes in. My oil jug has a sight gauge on the side.
I don't trust the DS as much as the designed capacity. I think with the Shop manual or OM NOT my DS. :)

Now after driving a week, I'll check to see where the level is after being parked
on level ground for hours.- for FUTURE reference.

Geez. The point everyone is making is that checking the oil just takes a moment. No matter how perfect you are at the job it takes just one bad filter gasket or a drain plug not quite tight enough to ruin your engine.

A pilot? Lol...yeah, changing the oil requires going to aviation school.
You are completely misunderstanding the point of what people are saying in response to your comments. The aviation reference was about the very critical nature of maintaining the equipment properly. And your comments about milk in cereal and tying shoes, that's asinine. A half-second glance will tell you that the shoes are tied and the milk is poured, plus there's no hood to lift or rags to wipe. Let us all see you properly check your oil level (using a dipstick) in a half-second.
You do things your way, you are comfortable doing it your way and we are all happy for you. But DO NOT try to convince others that it is not necessary to check fluid levels after performing maintenance. Good grief, that is irresponsible at the very least.

Geez. The point everyone is making is that checking the oil just takes a moment. No matter how perfect you are at the job it takes just one bad filter gasket or a drain plug not quite tight enough to ruin your engine.
Exactly.

How do you know it was done right unless you check it?

Even the most competent techs sometimes make a mistake ... leave the oil cap off, leave a tool in the engine compartment, I've even heard of someone actually forgetting to put the fresh oil into the sump.

If you're the kind of guy that doesn't do a final check before buttoning everything down, you're not going to work on my car.
Exactly.

So trust but don't verify?

I'm not gonna argue anymore, you guys do it your way...I will do it the same way that I've been doing it for 30+ years with 0 problems.

Back