I over filled the engine

I changed the oil in my 2016 Mazda CX9 with 2.5l engine. It has just over a 5 quart capacity. I drained and filled yesterday with 5 quarts of supertech synthetic. Let it sit for 10 minutes and it was still low. Topped off slightly and it was right to the mark. Coming out to the garage this morning to recheck and it's about 1/4 quart passed the high mark. OK to run it or do I need to go through the pain and suffering of getting to the drain pan again to let a little out. My mityvac won't work through the dipstick tube.

I check mine cold after doing a drive. The amount required to refill doesn't change, so I put in the required amount, check for leaks, done--I don't even check the dipstick, not until some other day. The system is fine at +/-1 a quart or so, it doesn't somehow run better if the oil is precisely at the F mark when (hot? cold? technically oil expands as it heats up, so when is the ideal level? that's right, there isn't one).

[I could see how a hard working engine might prefer a full sump so as to better shed heat, but most car engines are not hard working. There's a reason there is a range shown on the dipstick.]

I've often wondered about this. So, what happens if oil is overfull? A person always hears that you should not overfill.
For a hypothetical example; my Fusion holds 5.5 quarts. What would happen if I put 6.5 or 7 quarts in it? Just curious...

To the original poster. Have a look at your oil pan. It has a sump with a small cross section, and the main part of the pan with the large cross section. The design allows oil to be collected in the main part of the pan and is allowed to drop into the sump. Designs vary but I’d guess your fluid level is still down in the sump and is not getting near the crankshaft where it would be whipped up and frothed. No worries.

I've often wondered about this. So, what happens if oil is overfull? A person always hears that you should not overfill.
For a hypothetical example; my Fusion holds 5.5 quarts. What would happen if I put 6.5 or 7 quarts in it? Just curious...
Crank will hit the top of the oil (not supposed to normally.) Oil will be churned and aerated by crank. The aerated oil will not protect the engine. Bye, bye engine.

When I was changing the oil on the Mazda my routine was to add five quarts the run the car to check for leaks. After everything was buttoned up and the car sat for a while I would check the level again and add maybe ¼ qt to get it to the full mark.

The way I have interpreted it is that five quarts is fine. That is what the dealership puts in. The full mark does give you a clear reference to go by if you are checking for leaks though.

This is the SkyActiv 2.5T?

Crank will hit the top of the oil (not supposed to normally.) Oil will be churned and aerated by crank. The aerated oil will not protect the engine. Bye, bye engine.
+1

I usually under-fill** about a pint, drive for a couple days and check again cold at the end of day
at the workplace. The is a nice, level parking lot there - and it irritates co-workers to see me under the hood.

Oh, I'm retired now. No Level workplace parking lot anymore !

Anything under 1/2 qt don’t worry about it.
Anything 1 quart or below is no big deal. if you overfilled by 2 then yeah there probably will be an issue. They don't set the capacity to where it's just barely not touching the crank. It has some leeway.
So, is it a 1/2 quart or a full quart overfilled before it becomes a problem? Are either one of these responses based on fact or just a guess?

jusSo, is it a 1/2 quart or a full quart overfilled before it becomes a problem? Are either one of these responses based on fact or just a guess?
1/2qt is don't worry about it at all. 1qt seems concerning but really isn't. 2 can cause issues. Overfilling a 4-5 quart engine by a quart or less is at or beneath 25% overfill. You can't overfill a riding mower by a quart but probably could with 25% or less capacity as i have done before without oil aeration since it burns a bit. I overfill my engines by 1 quart routinely so they can go a bit longer and any consumption they have will be brought down to the top fill by the end.

I once filled up my 05 to the exact top line on the dipstick then overfilled by 2 quarts before an oil change just out of curiosity and let it idle on a flat surface for a bit over 10 minutes and the oil still had no air when I checked the dip stick and immediately drained but it's a 6 quart engine. But I did overfill by 33% of its max rated capacity. I may do 3 quarts next time just to see what will happen and check the stick every 5 minutes. If I see aeration I know it's too much.

No guessing since it's illogical for a manufacturer to have its top level be right beneath the crank on the verge of making contact and I've also done it myself. I overfillI 4-6 quart engines by 1 quart and I've yet to have oil aeration. Highly doubt his engine will have issues with a quart extra. Mazda engineers aren't dumb enough to make a top level be on the verge of touching a crank shaft.

I would recheck after a few trips. If that overfill bothers you just drain the amount by loosening the oil filter until it drips. Don’t mess with the drain plug.

For a quarter of a quart I wouldn’t worry.

Also, are you wiping the dipstick and reinserting to get a good read?

Back