I over filled the engine

So, if an engine calls for 3.7 quarts you should be safe using 4 quarts?
That's what I'd do. I'd fill it that much, then check a few days later. If it was "a lot" above F then next time I might try 3.5 quarts instead and see if it winds up just below F--if it did that, then I'd do 3.5 quarts going forward.

Aeration is a fear, sure. But think about this: when the engine is started, the oil level is at its highest. Once started, the oil level drops as it's pumped here and there. If it doesn't aerate at start up then I doubt it would any other time. Dipsticks are not precision measurement instruments, who knows how much slop there is in one, where it mounts and all that.

Remove oil filter and replace . Depending on oil filter size it can hold an 1/2 a quart and more . Honda FIT filter holds close to 20 ounces .

And see that’s where it gets confusing. You say anything over 1/2 quart is concerning while another one says there’s no concern until it’s overfilled by two quarts, and both are based on experience. Are both answers correct?
It depends on the vehicle and the engine! Always has and always will.

My previous car had a stated fill of 4.5 quarts. It was real simple to just dump the entire 5-quart jug into the sump. However, I was concerned that might cause a problem, so I looked around, talked to people who were experts with that car/engine combination. That particular combination was able to handle 6-quarts with no ill effects. I generally kept the fill to 5-quarts, and in the many thousands of miles I drove it, over long stretches of highway, twisty country roads, over hill and dale, through the city ... never once was there an issue going 1/2 quart over the recommended fill.

My current car has a 4.5 quart capacity. It, too, handles 5-quarts with absolutely no issues. When I bought the car it had been overfilled by an estimated 1.5 quarts. It had been driven by the previous owner and myself for about two weeks in that state, maybe more. I changed the oil as soon as possible, and have been driving the car now for about ten months. The engine is a little jewel ... burns no oil, there are no leaks, and all is right with the world. Even that potentially excessive overfill caused no noticeable issue ... but I'll stick to 5-quarts as my maximum.

So, that's two vehicles from different parts of the world that handled a slight overfill with no problems.

It depends on the vehicle and the engine!
And that’s already been addressed. My question concerned one person saying 1/2 a quart overfilled is a concern and another saying there’s nothing to be concerned about until it’s two quarts over. Those statements were not vehicle specific but given as general recommendations, so who’s correct?

I changed the oil in my 2016 Mazda CX9 with 2.5l engine. It has just over a 5 quart capacity. I drained and filled yesterday with 5 quarts of supertech synthetic. Let it sit for 10 minutes and it was still low. Topped off slightly and it was right to the mark. Coming out to the garage this morning to recheck and it's about 1/4 quart passed the high mark. OK to run it or do I need to go through the pain and suffering of getting to the drain pan again to let a little out. My mityvac won't work through the dipstick tube.
The oil level is fine anywhere between the two marks. If you state that the oil level is low, that means it's below the add mark. With your capacity being just over 5 quarts, I bet you could pour in one 5-quart jug and the level would be good to go. I wonder if there's a reason why nearly every brand of oil can be purchased in 5-quart jugs... hmmm....

This story is another great example why -- in most normal driving conditions -- it's so very unnecessary to maintain the oil level all the way up to the full mark. Yet so many here on BITOG will open a fresh oil container just to add 4 ounces and keep the level perfectly full. Good grief.

If you check the oil level and it's at or below the add mark, add 1 quart and you're done. If the level is between the two marks, leave it alone. Yes, it can be this easy. 30+ years doing this and never once had an issue related to the engine oiling system. There are very few circumstances where a vehicle will benefit from a crankcase that is completely full vs simply full enough. Enough oil really is enough oil.

Guess we do all agree on that. Trust the manufacturer. Don't make simple things complicated, don't overdo and make things worse.

Btw, up until now we were talking about accidentally overfilling. Are we talking about intentionally overfilling now? :unsure:

Dealer overfilled my 2018 CX-5 just past the full mark and I left it that way. Next change I did myself. Takes 4.5 liters which is just less than 5 quarts. Barely gets halfway between add and full marks. Five quarts still doesn’t make the full mark. I’ve done that too. Just leave it. Don’t make a mess.

Like someone else said, it really depends on the engine...some can handle a little extra, some you have to be careful. I know guys at the BMW dealer that add an extra quart or so - but that’s because those particular BMW’s wear consuming so much oil that they didn’t want the customers coming back in two weeks accusing them of undefilling the engine with oil. And yet I’ve seen some engines NOT be able to handle an extra quart...and the thing would smoke badly upon acceleration.

Both my Lucerne and GMC come back from the Mech about a 1/4 inch above full. I usually pull out a half quart for my Lucerne so the Mech doesn't have to but I started using that left over oil for one of my snowblowers that takes 20oz so I started pulling out 20oz so now the Lucerne ends up right on the full line, so it was only over filling it 1/8 of a quart which was less than I thought.
This is a waste of time, and why I change our vehicles oil. They always seems to mess up, and if I have to get under there it defeats the purpose. Why am I paying a garage to do this?!

Imagine all the owners who never check oil level after an oil change . Must be nice not to be 🤪 . Wonder if a poll has been done for this . I'll say 70% . Your % ?

Last edited:
I just had a thought, that you must use a pump and extract out the dipstick tube?
For what my mech charges me ($10) and both my vehicles are on annual changes vs having to mess with the used oil/filter etc.... I'll pass, but I appreciate you taking time to give me ideas. Changing the oil in my OPE is enough for me.

In my 02 corvette owners manual its states if you are going to race the car on a track add one extra qt. yea overfilled by one I never have done this or raced it ,but interesting. The oil pan on this car is strange flat and wide, I guess G force on the oil could be the problem. I am a over doer all ways about 1\8" overfilled on my dipstick but not much more don`t like the idea of crankshaft splash. I am a off road kind of person[ no not in the vett.] so where`s that oil going when your on a 20 degree or more incline back of the pan crank splash I don`t know, engine sumps can be very different and I am sure over fill amount would differ from engine to engine. I do see more windage trays on more engines than in the past thought. I am getting to old to worry about it but holding it to the floor still makes me smile !

The oil level is fine anywhere between the two marks. If you state that the oil level is low, that means it's below the add mark. With your capacity being just over 5 quarts, I bet you could pour in one 5-quart jug and the level would be good to go. I wonder if there's a reason why nearly every brand of oil can be purchased in 5-quart jugs... hmmm....

This story is another great example why -- in most normal driving conditions -- it's so very unnecessary to maintain the oil level all the way up to the full mark. Yet so many here on BITOG will open a fresh oil container just to add 4 ounces and keep the level perfectly full. Good grief.

If you check the oil level and it's at or below the add mark, add 1 quart and you're done. If the level is between the two marks, leave it alone. Yes, it can be this easy. 30+ years doing this and never once had an issue related to the engine oiling system. There are very few circumstances where a vehicle will benefit from a crankcase that is completely full vs simply full enough. Enough oil really is enough oil.
My 4.3 mercruiser in my inboard outboard chevy 3/4 of a sbc it holds right about 4 qts. with no filter one qt. low 25% of the oil and 3000 to 4500 rpms when the mood hits I think the whole 4 qts is a good idea I which it had a bigger pan. I might not add just 4oz but if it would take 12oz yea I would top if off just me Iam into it.

I've often wondered about this. So, what happens if oil is overfull? A person always hears that you should not overfill.
For a hypothetical example; my Fusion holds 5.5 quarts. What would happen if I put 6.5 or 7 quarts in it? Just curious...
When I overfilled my Ford Fusion Hybrid, it actually splattered oil all over the inside of my hood. I'm actually not even sure how that oil got out, and if I damaged my engine.

Why in the world are you guys checking the oil level after an oil change? You just got all the old oil out, you watched it drain out. Then you added (i hope) the recommended amount. You are done. Check the level a month later if you feel like it.
That's an extra check in case you did something stupid like forget to add the right amount of oil, didn't tighten the drain plug, filter was loose, wrong filter, etc. Checking the oil afterwards just confirms everything is correct. Pretty much every packet of data sent on the internet has a checksum as part of the packet. Well over 99.99% of the time it's not needed, but it's there to tell you when there's an error.

Why in the world are you guys checking the oil level after an oil change? You just got all the old oil out, you watched it drain out. Then you added (i hope) the recommended amount. You are done. Check the level a month later if you feel like it.
Well... most service manuals say to check the dipstick after adding oil, and add more if needed. I guess some people like to do things right...?

Back