I need help understanding if Redline or Amsoil is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually the only evidence that does exist shows that vehicles last far beyond the warranty period. You have that completely backwards.

And I’ll stick with my Castrol or Mobil 1 from Walmart thanks. It’s gotten me nearly 450k in the Sienna and almost 300k so far in the ECHO and Accord. I sleep fine at night.
Don't twist my words or misquote me if you're going to quote me. I didn't say "evidence." I said "technical evidence." Perhaps reread my original posting? I have absolutely NOTHING backwards unless you would care to post a URL showing an auto manufacturers warranty to 200K or beyond? We all know lots of cars outlast their warranties, but that is personal experience, not technical evidence. Post something we don't know, O Great One? Perhaps "technical evidence?" Scientific white papers or SAE papers? NOT the mileage on your personal vehicles.

Don't twist my words or misquote me if you're going to quote me. I didn't say "evidence." I said "technical evidence." Perhaps reread my original posting? I have absolutely NOTHING backwards unless you would care to post a URL showing an auto manufacturers warranty to 200K or beyond? We all know lots of cars outlast their warranties, but that is personal experience, not technical evidence. Post something we don't know, O Great One? Perhaps "technical evidence?" Scientific white papers or SAE papers? NOT the mileage on your personal vehicles.
Please. Get over yourself.

Yeah the Lincoln has the same type of engine so I'll just get Mobil 1 or whatever.

I just don't feel like off the shelf stuff will keep the car going for a while if I beat it sometimes. So many people call direct engine turbo cars nightmares. I never had one before, always a v6.
Off the shelf oil will keep your engine alive for the five years you desire if it meets specs and is changed on time.

Very few cars wear out their engines in a lifetime of service. 200,000 miles is common with basic oil changes done on time.

I am not talking API, I am talking much more stringent approvals, Euro approvals or Dexos 2.
I am not talking API, I am talking much more stringent approvals, Euro approvals or Dexos 2.
But you can't just drive down the road and get those brands when you need them. Not that ordering is a big pain. But being able to pick up a gallon of milk and a jug of oil at the same....and any time I need it is simple and convenient.

Oil is oil. Way too much thinking, over thinking, over analysing and fretting about absolutely NOTHING.
Like I said, each his//her own.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no technical evidence that ANY major manufacturer, including Toyota, cares a :poop: how long any car lasts past the warranty period. Yeah, they all want to claim "reliability" yada yada yada. So how long is their warranty? When the warranty ends, you're on your own. How many manufacturers warranties go past 200K? VS how many cars/trucks that are owned/maintained by users on this site have over 200-300K and are reliably on the road? Of course, any oil is better than no oil. I'll stick with my Amsoil, and you can have whatever lets you sleep at night.;)
I think Toyota is very happy with their reputation for long lasting cars. Their reputation sells a lotta cars. Resale prices are strong; hence the term, "Toyota tax".
I have to believe that every manufacturer wants their cars to last longer than the warranty period. Because if they fail to do so, the market for those cars would quickly become zero.

It is worth it if it makes you feel better and spending the money doesn't bother you. Like anything else we spend money on. You can go higher end or lower.

A guy on one of the Subaru forums, whose 2015 Subaru Crosstrek now has more than 1,051,000 miles on it, changes his oil every 12,000 miles. He uses Mobil 1 0W-20.

if he cared about the off shelf brands he wouldnt be asking about the boutiques. the man wants to spend money on peace of mind.

i answered his question. i didnt shill him any major brand extended range. "yes, amsoil is worth the money for long OCI"

it's his wallet. why so worried about how he spends his cash?
Maybe you should read his post again ,He asked if the premium oils were worth it, he answered his own question saw no benefits so i guess off the shelf oils it is ! And i could care less about how he spends his money ,

To the best of my knowledge, there is no technical evidence that ANY major manufacturer, including Toyota, cares a :poop: how long any car lasts past the warranty period. Yeah, they all want to claim "reliability" yada yada yada. So how long is their warranty? When the warranty ends, you're on your own. How many manufacturers warranties go past 200K? VS how many cars/trucks that are owned/maintained by users on this site have over 200-300K and are reliably on the road? Of course, any oil is better than no oil. I'll stick with my Amsoil, and you can have whatever lets you sleep at night.;)

So, as a unapologetic Amsoil fan as you have stated yourself, why are you asking if the oil is worth it?

I always come across those million mile car articles. Always say they've been dealer maintained and I doubt the dealer uses Redline or Amsoil, but that's not to say that those oils couldn't do the same job.

If you want to enjoy that civic I would go for a 229.5/A40/C30/229.52 spec oil due to a HTHS of 3.5 or more. Sure you'll lose a minuscule amount of mpg but the extra protection is there when you feel like pushing the car. Keep oil change intervals at the same mileage and use a quality filter.

Like it's been stated, maintain the trans, diff and coolant fluids as well alongside with brake/clutch fluids, do not neglect them a small so many people do. If I tracked my car, I'd use Motul 300v or Redline for sure but then dump it and throw then "regular" stuff back in.

It's your car, spend Sam much money as you like on it. Some say "it's just a car" others say it's not. If it was strictly getting from point A to B people wouldn't care about what they drive. But for some it's more than A to B hence why we have high end cars and this forum. In the end it's your choice.

So, as a unapologetic Amsoil fan as you have stated yourself, why are you asking if the oil is worth it?
Perhaps I didn't adequately express myself. I am an unapologetic Amsoil user, yes; and I'm not switching. But anyone else, Amsoil or Super tech user should use whatever lets them sleep at night. As has been previously well spoken, the oil one uses is personal choice.

It’s funny how many make it sound like it’s an exorbitant amount of money using Amsoil or Redline but probably the same people who spend $10 for a cup of coffee. 😂 I do annual oil changes using Amsoil and for me, the extra $2 a month is worth it. Then again I don’t spend $10on a cup of coffee. Plus O do my own oil changes. So total cost for me to change my oil is no more than $55 on my Accord. Little more on my Tundra. Bottom line. Each his/ her own. It’s your money so do you.
How do you get Amsoil for $55. I’ve looked into it and it’d easily cost me $80 with shipping. Way too overpriced. It’s much better to buy the $27 Mobil 1 EP with a similar warranty to Amsoil and change it more often. On my TGDI 2.0L Ford, I change it every 5000 miles and the car runs like a Swiss clock. So OP, Mobil 1 EP. You can’t go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back