I need help understanding if Redline or Amsoil is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Any UOA’s on these long OCI ??
Nope. Been doing this for 5 years now. He's comfortable with it. The product says it rated for upto 20k. I will say that Covid reduced his mileage over this past year. I think it was around 8k

Nope. Been doing this for 5 years now. He's comfortable with it. The product says it rated for upto 20k. I will say that Covid reduced his mileage over this past year. I think it was around 8k
You or he would be wise to spend some bucks to see what’s going on. Could be happy or could be sad. Product rated to 20K may not mean didly if it’s not working as planned

You or he would be wise to spend some bucks to see what’s going on. Could be happy or could be sad. Product rated to 20K may not mean didly if it’s not working as planned
It's a Toyota 5.7 V8....and like most Toyota non DI engines it seems happy with whatever you put in it. It's not my vehicle, so I'm sure not going to spend the money on it and I doubt he would.

You do realize that the factory interval is 1yr/10k on garden variety synthetic? His OCI certainly isn't pushing any envelope

Last edited:
These 6 pages about Redline and other stuff is mostly about nothingness, but entertaining in times of boredom.

if you just stepped on a dog turd and everyone else can smell it, do we all have to go step in it ourselves before we can talk about your foolishness? No. Nor does anyone have to buy Redline oil themselves before calling it a dumb purchase.

The longer I stay around here the more I realize that BITOG collectively is not that much different than a typical oil thread on any given automotive forum.

3% facts, numbers and hard data and 97% opinions, superstition, old wife's tales, outdated nonsense handed down from grandfathers and monumental amounts of butt hurt

I'll throw this question in here. Why doesn't Pennzoil Platnium and Ultra state *Up to XXXX miles between oil changes*. From the UOAs I've seen they are capable but no listing.
It's been their policy for decades to defer to the vehicle manufacturer's OCI.
Years before the Shell buyout, a VP told me that to recommend one go against the OEMs mileage limits was essentially assuming their warranty.
Shell hasn't changed that policy. I believe I saw Gena affirm the OEM OCI somewhere in this forum. It's a different company now, so I don't know their reason for the policy. It could be the same.

It's been their policy for decades to defer to the vehicle manufacturer's OCI.
Years before the Shell buyout, a VP told me that to recommend one go against the OEMs mileage limits was essentially assuming their warranty.
Shell hasn't changed that policy. I believe I saw Gena affirm the OEM OCI somewhere in this forum. It's a different company now, so I don't know their reason for the policy. It could be the same.
Thanks for clearing it up. Appreciate it.

tldr: is premium oil really worth premium prices for a daily ricer?

In doing some searching on the forum none of the threads really help me understand if it's worth either brand, just that there's tons of addictive in Redline, and Amsoil isn't really worth it. And this thread: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/am-i-wasting-money-with-amsoil-schaeffers.332678/ kinda makes me think the verdict is still out on "worth".

My car has a turbo direct injection gasoline engine that's open port with an aluminum block. I drive regularly 90% of the time, and beat it somewhat hard 10%. I live in a part of the country that is cold more than hot (PA). In my engine I notice a difference if I use Redline and the highest octane Shell Gas.

Today I switched to Amsoil and it just ... I'm not impressed. I definetly feel a difference but it's not an improvement. The other thing is I hear quite often "oil is just oil, and it's not worth the price". Is that true? I really hammer this car sometimes and want it to last at least 5 years.

I drive a 89 Toyota Soarer with a I6 engine with twin turbos. it still has the original turbos, never taken apart. I had Amsoil 10W-30 in there once, then Castrol Magnatec 5W-30, and Now Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 coz its cheap.
Got a whole stash at home(Helix Ultra 5W-40) enough to last me at least 5 years. I no longer worry about this. A GTL synthetic is good enough for me. I also hardly see redline on my tach, the most I rev up to is 5000rpm.

I quit Castrol, Shell, Halvoline, Phillips 66 etc after 60 years. I read Wikipedia! Now I use the least expensive..any grade that matches my owners manual+upgrades..e.g.ILSAC 6A, DEXRON VI etc except no Supertech since Walmart destroyed rural America and small business. For two years I have been using FVP and NAPA (Valvoline) when on sale. ..my old GM 3.5L v6 loves those oils. Filters? For now..I am paying as needed for WIX/WIX-XPand Purolator ONE and BOSS..I read a lot and I was an algorithm building analyst professional.i have to satisfy myself and my ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back