i need a vacuum

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking at eureka sc3683a or hoover c2094. Mostly hardwood floors, one oriental rug. Want simplicity and power. I like the $120 price and "pros use this" status.

Don't need HEPA and all that junk. If bags are cheap, that's cool. Bagless/fabric bag okay too.

MIL has a Meile and wife wants one, or any number of other $300+ ones. Meh.

The wand and hose and floor attachments are the biggest thing. I like the vintage 10" horesehair brush and rubber ones best. Next was getting something that had a bag bigger than a pint and a half! But the German 3 layer synthetic bags will have good suction until the thing is solid packed with junk (like a deer gut in the late winter). I live in a log cabin with wide board pine floors and had the same vac shooping woes. I ended up getting a nice ERMER canister off ebay for about $150 - which had retractable cord and bag or bagless options - but the wands ended up being crummy so I retro-fitted my old 1960's Orange eureka canister wand to fit. -
- Yeah those SEBO
20.gif
and Meile work VERY VERY well. But Gee its not rocket science - a 45 buck 2.5HP 5 gal shop vac with GOOD wand attached will work almost TOO well!

Last edited:
yeah we have a dog, bristly midlength hair, and it sticks in the hairs of the floor attachment of our old (but not classic) electrolux tank. The hair glob then plows any dirt in its way instead of letting it find is way up the chute.

So the old (RIP) vacuum we used to always step on the hair clumps to break them up then stabbed the center of the floor attachment over the bunnies to gobble them. Tiresome.

I own a Hoover S3670 and it is horrible.

I have owned two Kenmore's before, parents one from 1980's and then another purchased 10 years back and absolutely loved them. I regret not replacing the burnt out motor on my last Kenmore.

My wife ends up sweeping the floors as the Vacuum is absymal. The Kenmore beat it by leaps and bound on bare hardwood floors including crevices between boards. The Hoover has trouble picking up items and they just get pushed around.

Got the eureka sc3683a from amazon. Will give a review when it gets in... if I can shovel my way over to the computer.

I was going thru a new vac every year. I had Eureka (junky plastic World vac model), Hoover, Dirt Devil, Dyson and they all worked great at first but after a year (maybe 2) they stopped working well.

Than I got a Oreck and never looked back. These are awesome. I have one for upstairs and one for downstairs. One is 9 yrs old and the other 5 and they work like day one. Highly recommend them.

Use a rubber PVC drain pipe coupler, essentially a short piece of radiator hose and clamps, to graft your current vac hose to a Rigid shop vac.

Several of the lower priced, widely available Eureka's and Hoover's are rated better than most of the $400 and $500 fancy models.
Consumer Reports.

Get a dyson, or just get the cheapest you can find. Many of the Vaccums you find out there often look very close to the same, for a very good reason. Many "contact" their vacs to some of the same plants in China!

Most brands like Euekas and bissels are pure junk, and last on average about 2 years. (unless you don't use it much)

Try Dyson, or Simplicly(sp), or even Oreck....

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I was going thru a new vac every year. I had Eureka (junky plastic World vac model), Hoover, Dirt Devil, Dyson and they all worked great at first but after a year (maybe 2) they stopped working well.

Than I got a Oreck and never looked back. These are awesome. I have one for upstairs and one for downstairs. One is 9 yrs old and the other 5 and they work like day one. Highly recommend them.

+1

I have a wal mart bissel to hold me over until I either get an Oreck or Vac of the like...

My parents have a Kenmore vacuum that they bought back in 2000 or 2001 that has been flawless. Kenmore vacuums were made by Panasonic back then, now not so...

I've purchased 2 Dirt devil vacuums in 15 years. I always choose a bagged unit and cheap (no more than $50). They last forever and I've never tossed one due to a motor failure. Bags are always available, as are belts. I'll never understand canister vacuums.

If that doesn't suit you, listen to dave's advice.

we run a cleaning business. Routinely bought several a year.

That was until we discovered Dyson. My first is six years old. NEVER bought a bag, a filter, or a belt! Used DAILY in commercial environment!

Orecks don't last six months in our work, break often and require constant bags and upkeep.

You'll spend a fortune on bags and belts when you can buy a monster on Overstock for just 299.00 and run it forever in household use.

I bought a Dyson vacuum 3 years ago and it's still performing just like it did when new.

There are some disadvantages however. One is that you can't get the head up under furniture. The other one is that it's somewhat heavy.

But as far as suction goes...it's as strong as it ever was. I have cleaned the filter once and have to empty the canister often as we have a small dog in the house. But it's a great performing machine and other than turning it upside down to remove hair and stuff from the beater bar ever so often...emptying the canister is all that I have to do with it.
I'm sold on a Dyson!

note that they also emit virtually clean air. This is VERY important to you if there are allergic/sensitive individuals in the household.

I have a 40 dollar refurb from big lots (eureka).

It is a bagless model with hepa filter and all that junk..

I would recommend a bagged model if you go cheap, it is a pain to clean the bagless model out (about every two weeks I'm taking the entire thing apart to clean the 4 points that it tells you to clean)

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
we run a cleaning business. Routinely bought several a year.

That was until we discovered Dyson. My first is six years old. NEVER bought a bag, a filter, or a belt! Used DAILY in commercial environment!

Orecks don't last six months in our work, break often and require constant bags and upkeep.

You'll spend a fortune on bags and belts when you can buy a monster on Overstock for just 299.00 and run it forever in household use.

But many hotels use Orecks...atleast that's what the ads say. Neither of my Orecks have EVER failed but then again its home only use. Good to hear from your perspective.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back