Help me pick a good "date car" to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so here's the deal. I'm back in the fray after about 25 yrs, i.e. single again (widowed actually) since 2012 and at the point where I want to get back in the game. Been out a few times but nothing serious just the meet-them-there lunches. Okay enough of the Lifetime Channel part and into the Speed Channel (or Spike) part. The Forester made sense when I bought it in 2008, was married and there was a tight budget, hence its a base model w/ manual transmission, low quality sound system (Subaru base sound equipment is particularly tinny and flat sounding, think 1977 here). I'm thinking if I was in my 20's, might be able to get away with picking her up in a stick shift Subaru. Or even if I lived in Colorado and had ski racks on the top. But I'm 51 and live in the eastern midwest flatlands of the farm belt. Yeah the Soob is handy as heck when we get bad winter weather, and it's handly for hauling bags of mulch or assorted smaller things from Home Depot. But it just doesn't seem to click as the ride want to pick up a date in. Now, I'm not talking gweedo territory here and donning gold chains, putting a rug on my bald head and pulling up in a Vette. Ah... no. But I'm thinking along the lines of a car that fits my personality, which is reserved and leans conservative, and which says I'm not struggling financially but not trying to flaunt anything either. I've always had a soft spot for the newer Chrysler 300's, and rented V6 one last month for a short highway trip and really liked it. But there's also this little voice in the back of my head saying there needs to be some utility for those occasional trips to Home Depot. Another little voice says about the idea of the Chrysler: "You'd be buying a dinosaur..." You know what I'm talking about... full size rear drive sedan layout. But its still a nice car. Sure a Mustang and I like the new ones a lot, but impractical and again, the bald middle age guy in a sport car thing again.

So, what say the BITOG advisory panel about this? Keep the Soob and if she makes a character judgment based on what I show up in then she's being shallow and better to find out early than later on? Also, I would buy pre-owned like the 2014's you see with several thousand miles on them... program cars I think they're called. Max of $26,500 out the door.

Something like an F150 or Silverado truck would not be out of the question but don't know how the womens react to trucks these days. Been out of it too long.

Rent a car for date night, if you want to woo her with some wheels.
smile.gif

Keep the Forester as your dirty little secret.

I'm going to second the Accord Sport or perhaps a V6 Accord Sedan.

Diesel BroTruck with roll coal tuner and a "fat chicks can't jump" sticker.

More serious suggestion...Subaru Legacy. It has the advantages of your Forester but is a little cooler.

Crossover type things seem really popular with women.

If you want to do something like 'see a gal reaction to my wheels', just rent another 300. Maybe make a 'buy' decision based on other reasons?

A Honda Element and a dog.

Bring the dog with you on the date.

Chicks like that kind of stuff.

And, you are at least guaranteed a kiss at the end of the night!

Quote:
which is reserved and leans conservative, and which says I'm not struggling financially but not trying to flaunt anything either.

2008 or newer Accord sedan.

I'd keep the Subaru and buy a fun car. Something sporty or classic to drive on the weekend and take on dates!

BMW, Mercedes or Audi would be standard on the east coast, but I don't think they're that popular in the midwest. They tend to have tremendous depreciation so you can get something as new as 2009 or 2010 depending on the model with your budget. Most people are afraid of them because of the repair costs, but you could still get a CPO model that comes with a decent warranty.

My dad loves his Toyota FJ Cruiser. Handles great and is a fantastic 4x4. Dead reliable too, quirky looking but it grows on you.

Keep the Subaru and get a pickup (with bench seats if you can find one). Unassuming, handy and if she likes it, you know she's worth pursuing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Travis_John
I like the Audi A4 2006ish or newer. its not to flashy but still says "im doing alright"
laugh.gif

Bingo! I started a thread weeks ago about my wife wanting a new black Audi A4.
She just bought one and it's very nice. The interior is first class.
And she got a stick that goes along with her aggressive driving style.

Keep the car and don't worry about the women and what they think.

If they judge you on your car, find another one. They would be shallow if they judge you based on a car.

If you are looking to impress, maybe a Cadillac for name or a newer Camaro. I dig the new Camaros. I test drove one a few years ago. Was afraid I might get tickets in them. Need to go and drive them again.

Well anyway. Keep what you got. The right one will come along and appreciate you for the way you live, treat her, etc

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Cadillac CTS wagon?

Heck yea. A CTS-V wagon. Chicks dig Cadillac's. Heck the new CTS-V coupe is one of the best looking American made cars, IMHO. They used to not be cool, but they are getting cool again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back