Help me pick a car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm going to "want" a new car next year. I'm sick of driving this darned Nissan Frontier. It's just not comfortable, it has limited passenger room (1 passenger and 2 midgets) and It rides and handles like a truck.

So here is what I want.

Something that gets decent fuel economy around 30mpg.

Seating for 5 comfortably

Ability to carry good amount of cargo. Say a folding table, EZ up Tent, and 4 cargo boxes with trade show gear in it.

Something that rides nice, and handles well. Not a sports car but something that is fun.

I want something unique that I could possibly put in car shows with it all detailed up and that would be different than all the other cars there.

I'll add more as I think about it.

Let me know what you all think

Depending on how long the tent is, you either need an econobox that has a feature for carrying skis, and a big trunk for the boxes, or maybe a diesel wagon.

Honda minivans seem to get about the same mileage in town as my 3/4 ton diesel pickup, and I'll guess others aren't much better. We have have been buying the Taurus for years (no longer though as they don't make it anymore) as they seat six, have a big trunk, and on the highway typically get 28mpg to 29 mpg, with a best of 32 mpg on one trip. In town though going up an down our hill they get high teens to low 20s. We used one for years doing vacation car camping, with 5 to 6 in the car, a full trunk, and some sort of carrier on top or on the back, getting 28mpg to 29 mpg.

The tent is only like 4' long when it's all together. It has a carrying case. So it's pretty compact.

I would love to have some type of "sport wagon" is what I'm thinking. I just don't think I could do a Mini-van, and I definitely don't want an SUV they ride like a truck.

enclave2.jpg

The Mazda 3 5-door is one of the only economical cars that will do all the hauling you require. There are other 5-door compacts out there such as the Subaru Impreza but I don't know where AWD fits on your priority list. There's the Kia Spectra 5, but IMO it's ugly.

Seating 5 comfortably might be a challenge, but when you get a car large enough to do that, your mpg suffers. I don't know of a larger wagon that will realistically achieve 30mpg.

Last gen Volvo V70 wagon. Getting close to 30 mpg is possible, but you need to forgo a blower and/or drive like a granny. Don't know about the car show thing, unless you can find a leftover V70R (which will NOT get 30 mpg). Seats 5 very comfortably with plenty of carriage space.

Don't know which specific models are still made, but the Audi wagons are nice, too. But forget about 30 mpg with one.

It's a shame the Americans don't make a wagon anymore.

Hey That thing is pretty nice.

What is that Buick? Do you have one?

Fuel Tank Capacity: 22 gal.; EPA Mileage Estimates: 16 mpg / 24 mpg; Yikes don't think that will work.

Thanks for showing. Plus the base price is out of this world. $32K, I think it's the "in" thing with these "crossovers".

Last edited:
subaru wagons are GREAT cars. Smooth, quiet, good mpg and extremely reliable. The newer ones are styled nicely, but no oem late model car has a place in a car show. their baja might be an alternative.

We had legacy wgn for years. AWD was impeccable in up to 9-10 inches of snow.

I like the Malibu and Impala. They get about the same mileage as a Japanese econobox but have more room. 2005 Impala rated at 32 mpg and 2005 Malibu 34 mpg. You can buy a lease return or former rental cheap. Now is the time to buy. I prefer GM because of good mileage and every parts place carries parts and they are most of the time cheaper than any other make. Plus it doesn't hurt to support the American economy.

I assume that a stick shift is required, so my recommendation would be a 4-cyl or V6 Altima. The Altima is one of the few family sedans that still come in a 6-speed manual for BOTH the 4-cyl and V6 trims. The 4-cyl should average well over 30 mpg.

A 4-ft tent should be fit in most family sedans with a 60/40 split folding rear seats.

New or used? Front-wheel drive, all-wheel drive, or rear-wheel drive?

I like the Subaru Legacy wagon for a couple of reasons: reliable, peppy enough, it will get 30 mpg on the highway if you don't go much over the posted limit, they can be had relatively inexpensively if you buy used.

I LOVE the Panthers (Lincoln, Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis) for highway cruising. They get upper 20's mpg if you stay at the posted speed limit....and, they are VERY EASY to work on, if you like to do your own work. With side air bags, it's hard to find a much safer car, too. VERY CHEAP if you buy used....I just bought a 2004 Leather, side airbag Grand Marquis with 29,277 miles for 12,000.00. Perfect condition...depreciation from this point will be 3000 the first year, then leveling off from there.

Depreciation is the LARGEST expense of a new car, MUCH higher than fuel...so, if that makes a difference, consider buying used. And don't be fooled by percentage depreciation, look only at actual dollars of depreciation...you'll be shocked. Almost all of today's cars are made so much better than the cars of 20 years ago (Thank you, Toyota, Honda, Subaru), you no longer have to buy new in order to get a car that will last longer than you can stand to own it.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:
Just to do a worst case reality check. Assume a gradual priceincrease of gasoline of 10 bucks at today's price in 5 years. If you can't afford that with a car that gives all around millage of 27..maybe rethink your criteria. It doesn't hurt to go worst case.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
VW Passat wagon with 1.8t or 2.0T fits the bill.

For some reason I keep looking at this one.

I guess after owning 2 jetta's. Also available with a 6spd, and has great handling. Will have to go test one out. I also want to look at the Subaru's and possibly the malibu?

As mentioned, Toyota Matrix. 52 cubic feet of cargo room with the seats folded. Good fuel mileage. The 2009 will come with a 1.8l or a 2.4l. IIRC, the 1ZZ is being replaced with the 2ZRFE found in the Scion line now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back