I may have made a mistake buying a new truck last week... thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the problems with mds and afm usually show up when the warranty period is up. it IS an issue with these trucks. ford has there own set of problems with timming components failing and cam phasers. watch some youtube and see for yourself.

"When the warranty period is up". We have a reasonable number of RAM 1500 half tons in our fleet at work, we only recently had our first lifter failure on a 2011 with almost 300,000km on it (~190,000 miles). These trucks are LONG out of warranty and have been extremely reliable. There are others in the fleet with higher mileage, no issues.

Confirmation bias by Youtube is hardly a credible metric for gauging the real life scope of a problem.

Same here. It ruined the driving dynamics of my 09 RT. Challenger.
Bought it new and just never liked it.
Sold it with 3k miles on it.

I'll say that it is far less noticeable on my wife's truck, which has the active dampers, than on my Jeep, where you can feel it go in and out because you are literally inches from the engine and nowhere near as isolated. That said, you can just put it in "Sport" in the Jeep and then the MDS is disabled, so it isn't a big deal. It doesn't bother me having it operational though, it's not intrusive.

"When the warranty period is up". We have a reasonable number of RAM 1500 half tons in our fleet at work, we only recently had our first lifter failure on a 2011 with almost 300,000km on it (~190,000 miles). These trucks are LONG out of warranty and have been extremely reliable. There are others in the fleet with higher mileage, no issues.

Confirmation bias by Youtube is hardly a credible metric for gauging the real life scope of a problem.
if these problems didnt exist-they wouldnt be on youtube would they? i suggest you look into the hemi cam/lifter issue further your self. its very real

Drive it, you can find aftermarket products to fix the drivability issue. Look at pedal commander.
Yeah, I'm going to drive it for now. If prices stay high on trade-in values, I'll probably order a 2022 a year from now with the new UConnect 5 or look at the new Tundra for 2022 MY. Maybe by 2022 Ram will make some of their safety features standard (I only got the Level 1 Equipment Group for blind spot monitoring), and LED headlights standard. If options stay the same, I'd get a Level 1 Laramie without etorque, with wheel well liners, floor mats, under seat storage, anti-spin diff, 33 gal tank, and maybe bed utility group. If they make LED lights and blind spot standard, I'd probably get a Big Horn.

OP I feel ya. ive been bitten sick by buyers remorse a couple of times. Here’s what I’ve learned. If I am obsessing about the new purchase, buyers remorse is going to happen. If I’m endlessly checking specs, numbers, colors, and thinking of what I’m going to do with it, and detailing the features and doodads, I’m going to have buyers remorse. even if I’m Happy in my pre-purchase research and mindset, buyers remorse happens. In other words, the more I stare at it, the worse it will be. the vehicle never lives up to that desire, fantasy or scrutiny. And then once I have it, I no longer have “choice.” I lost my freedom of choice.

i still wrestle with it today. Anything we idolize during acquisition will result in disappointment. What’s todays divorce rate?

I can feel eTorque too, basically when braking. It knows we’re braking and it enters charge mode and can feel a little artificial. But, it also has the best start/stop of the bunch, buttery smoothness off the line and extremely well-executed shifts. ETorque implementation is reviewed very well and I’ll second the reviews, having driven my BIL’s ‘20. It’s also worth, what, 3mpg? Not shabby. I am a bit of a gear head, personally I think they made some solid design choices with their implementation.

the Ram is a beautiful truck, absurdly capable, handles like a Cadillac and has an excellent interior and exterior design.

I agree on the 20s. I bought a set of 18” take-offs for not a lot of money online and got rid of the 20s. While cornering and hole shot isn’t quiet as joyful, every other aspect of driving is improved, including the small bit of mischief I might get into which usually doesn’t involve pavement. On pavement, 20s were no fun hopping curbs.

So an update to this thread...

I kept the truck. The etorque driving characteristics got better, but still would choose not to have it. So... I chose not to have it and ordered a Limited two days ago. Glad I waited, the used market has gotten nuts.

Thread about new build...

Why not just make a few changes to the truck you currently have and keep it? My 95 ram is the best truck I have ever Owned. Granted it's a very different truck than what you have but still they're good trucks. You can change the wheels and tires and you can disable the MDS. All of these new trucks have features I don't care for. But I'd work around it if I was in your shoes. I wouldn't want to lose the money and the new ram is a good looking truck. That's my opinion.

I hear mixed things on the Rams. Might be best to hold onto it. If you were going to trade it in what I have seen people do is go test drive a used one and then drive the new one to feel how the new one will feel later on. If it was me I’d buy the used one just my preference as a mechanic. I also got a friend who has the new Chevy and he absolutely hates it and is planning on trading it on a Ford by the end of the month. If it were me I’d look at Ford I have heard so many better things about them than any other brand also Toyota is good as well.
a good ram is a ram 1500 from the 90s and 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back