I may have made a mistake buying a new truck last week... thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn’t trade it in on a new one. If anything I’d trade it in for 42k then buy an Enterprise ex rental Ram for 29k. Pocket the 13k and not worry about the numbers. Check for rust underneath.
Apples to oranges comparison; his vehicle is a Laramie model and the Enterprise truck is a stripper. I only paid $33k new for mine and it is better equipped than any of the Enterprise trucks.

Thanks all for the input. A lot to dissect.

Right now I'm leaning toward keeping it a year or so and re-evaluating then. I have activated the gear icon in the settings, and it seems some of what I'm feeling is the downshifting between gears (but not always, some times it is the regen braking). I think the gear downshifting sensation is programmed a bit more harshly in the etorque trucks. I am going to try to run it in the +/- mode all the time.

For 2022 MY the Rams will have the new vastly superior UConnect with wireless Carplay and Android Auto, and there will be a completely new Tundra out. I've had my eye on the new Tundra for a while, and was hoping it would be a 2021 MY. But I got out of my F150 because of the problems I had (I actually liked the truck, except for the color and problems) and the fact I got at least $7,000 more than I could have pre-COVID. So I think instead of losing $2k right now and being happier for now, but maybe wanting to move into a RAM with the new UConnect or the Tundra in a year or year and a half, if I'm going to lose some equity I'd rather do it later than now.

Still not 100% sure, but this is what I'm leaning. Next time I'll make sure the truck is exactly what I want, even if the deal isn't the absolute best.

Last edited:
Think I’m happier from avoiding the first year of a major platform change …

I'd sell it to that delaer if they would do it without trading while that deal was on the table and I'd start completely over. If you're buying $45k vehicles you can afford to lose $2k. I put Ford above all others but that's just from what I've seen and everyone tends to have different experiences.

I'd sell it to that delaer if they would do it without trading while that deal was on the table and I'd start completely over. If you're buying $45k vehicles you can afford to lose $2k. I put Ford above all others but that's just from what I've seen and everyone tends to have different experiences.

Most states you pay tax on the difference between the sales price of the new vehicle and your trade. Doing this has the potential to cost thousands in sales tax.

The days of a smooth and predictable powertrain with a big NA engine in front of a 4 speed auto are gone. With turbos, cylinder deactivation, small displacement engines, e assist and transmissions with a gazillion gears the driving dynamics of modern vehicles has changed.

How about you get some 18's and sell the 20's to someone else? 20 inch wheels look good but that's about it. 17-18 inch wheels give you some flex and improve the ride.

Should be less than $2200 loss you are thinking of taking on a trade, and you can recoup at least 1,000 when you sell the new take offs.

How about you get some 18's and sell the 20's to someone else? 20 inch wheels look good but that's about it. 17-18 inch wheels give you some flex and improve the ride.

Should be less than $2200 loss you are thinking of taking on a trade, and you can recoup at least 1,000 when you sell the new take offs.
Heck if he was closer, I would do a trade with him.

no one should be considering ANY of the trucks with engines with any form of mds or afm at this time, there is AMPLE evidence of the multiple problems ford-chev and especially dodge is having with this unneeded technology that café has forced upon the industry. Toyota and Nissan don't have it.

I must say to I would always hit the +/- on my old '16, but it was a must as it had aftermarket exhaust. With the exhaust, the mds made it sound like it was choking.

I must say to I would always hit the +/- on my old '16, but it was a must as it had aftermarket exhaust. With the exhaust, the mds made it sound like it was choking.

That's one of the things Borla really seemed to focus on with their systems, my wife's truck does not sound like a dying donkey when the MDS kicks on, which surprised me.

I wouldn’t trade it in on a new one. If anything I’d trade it in for 42k then buy an Enterprise ex rental Ram for 29k. Pocket the 13k and not worry about the numbers. Check for rust underneath.

Apples to oranges comparison; his vehicle is a Laramie model and the Enterprise truck is a stripper. I only paid $33k new for mine and it is better equipped than any of the Enterprise trucks.

Enterprise car sales (at least in my area) use KBB valuation for trades and will give you KBB "excellent condition" without batting an eye, so you'll know what you're in for before you walk in the door. Problem is, the 2019 I paid ~$28K for 3 months ago are now priced at $33-34K. I suppose it's a wash though, because trade valuation numbers are high now as well.

Critic, I dunno. If you search inventory though enterprise car sales in my area, I see lots of big horns. Maybe not totally loaded, but lots more options than my SLT.

no one should be considering ANY of the trucks with engines with any form of mds or afm at this time, there is AMPLE evidence of the multiple problems ford-chev and especially dodge is having with this unneeded technology that café has forced upon the industry. Toyota and Nissan don't have it.
And yet the big 3 absolutely annihilate Toyota and Nissan in truck sales. If it was that big of a problem people wouldn’t be buying them.

Love the one you're with.

Spend a lil bit softening it up.

You can get a set of 18's with larger sidewalls to soften it up, and throw the 20's on the wall till you off the truck.
You could even step up to a set of bilstein 4600's.

UD

I don't like MDS. My first experience with it was on a couple of 2013 Dodge Challengers with the 5.7 Hemi and it was very noticeable every time it went in and out of MDS. This is one reason I bought a Mustang GT in 2013 instead of the Challenger and Camaro because it didn't have this system.

I guess Ford is going to start using it on the 5.0 in the 2021 F150's. Not sure on the Mustang.

Did they somehow go backwards? My 2010 Jeep with MDS was flawless in regard to the MDS system. Only the dashlight indicated it was working, as well as a slight instant mpg readout bump.
What is MDS?

the problems with mds and afm usually show up when the warranty period is up. it IS an issue with these trucks. ford has there own set of problems with timming components failing and cam phasers. watch some youtube and see for yourself.

I don't like MDS. My first experience with it was on a couple of 2013 Dodge Challengers with the 5.7 Hemi and it was very noticeable every time it went in and out of MDS. This is one reason I bought a Mustang GT in 2013 instead of the Challenger and Camaro because it didn't have this system.

I guess Ford is going to start using it on the 5.0 in the 2021 F150's. Not sure on the Mustang.

Same here. It ruined the driving dynamics of my 09 RT. Challenger.
Bought it new and just never liked it.
Sold it with 3k miles on it.

Reactions: wtd
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back