I love this CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've owned it for about 8 months now and have put about 11,000 miles on it, including a 630 mile overnight trip to the DC area yesterday. What a great little traveling companion. I had the cruise set between 75 and 80 mph for most of the way, and averaged 27.3 mpg on the trip, and that includes poking around the Fort Belvoir area on Thursday and an hour of stop-and-go on 95 south Thursday evening. And I had the A/C on the whole time because of rain and/or warm weather, so I was highly pleased with that. Even with the high speeds and stop-and-go traffic, 27.3 handily beats the rated 26 mpg highway.

The engine pulls this car along very nice, even at interstate speeds. It's about 2300 rpm at 75 mph, and about 2500 rpm at 80 mph. There's enough power at that rpm for most anything required, but if it needs a little bit more (like to pass a truck on an uphill grade), it'll unlock the TCC and the engine speed will flare to 2700-2900 rpm. It'll then settle back down to its cruise rpm below 2500 rpm. Feels like it'd do that for a month straight.

Road noise and wind noise are nicely muted at speed. The Michelin Latitude Tour tires make a whale of a difference in road noise. Even at 80 mph, I didn't have the radio any louder than I normally do around town, at volume level '8'. My co-worker and I had plenty of conversation without having to raise our voices over road or wind noise. The ride is composed and the car feels very planted at speed; never drifty or floaty. The quick-of-reflex around town seems to settle down at speed, and it's easy to drive fast.

This is the first road trip I've taken with it, and would do it again tomorrow. Getting on towards a year of ownership, I don't think I've enjoyed any of my vehicles as much as I have this one. I continue to strongly recommend this vehicle if you're looking for a small SUV that is relatively efficient and enjoyable to drive.

You must have a 2011 model, my wife has a 2009 and loves it. She looked at the 2012 and it is ugly on the outside with the football head rear hatch. The 2013 will see even more MPG gains with the direct injected engine and hopefully they will fix the rear of that model.

I dont know if muted is a good description. Tire dependent, sure, but fairly loud with wind noise too.

I never found the vehicle to be sluggish, so I think my findings echo yours, though on the long trips we have taken in a late CR-V, fuel economy is not as good as you got.

I had a 2006 (it was my first Honda vehicle) and i loved the way it handled. On a 1950+ mile roundtrip from Fresno to Washington state I managed just under 29 mpg. I was surprised even it was all hwy miles. Great little suv.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
You must have a 2011 model, my wife has a 2009 and loves it. She looked at the 2012 and it is ugly on the outside with the football head rear hatch. The 2013 will see even more MPG gains with the direct injected engine and hopefully they will fix the rear of that model.

Yeah the 2012 was a step backwards in a lot of ways. We were disappointed.

We usually get 33 mpg on a stick forester on a long interstate trip. More room too. Miss the 2005 Rav 4 though; that had a very usable cavernous hatch with a low stepover - maybe because it had no rear bumper and the spare tire moved to the back door. The Rav had surprisingly engaging handling with upgraded tires.

We love our 2008. We've got about 8000 or so miles on the current fill. Did go 3000 to clean things up since we bought it used. Easy to work on is a plus forme.

The 08 CR-V is an excellent highway vehicle. I think this to myself every morning. I have a 60 mile round trip and its a pleasure in the Honda. The 5 speed trans makes it VERY easy to do illegal speeds lol

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
We usually get 33 mpg on a stick forester on a long interstate trip. More room too. Miss the 2005 Rav 4 though; that had a very usable cavernous hatch with a low stepover - maybe because it had no rear bumper and the spare tire moved to the back door. The Rav had surprisingly engaging handling with upgraded tires.

as I've said before, they must have thrown some holy water on your Forester, because no one else is getting that sorta milege: http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/forester/2011

It also has less space than the CR-V, not more.

A little more, based on comments/questions.

Yes, this is a 2008 model...same generation (2007-2011). The 2010+ models have a slightly different version of the K24 engine, and there are some small fascia changes that probably go unnoticed by most, but all 3rd gen CR-Vs are largely the same otherwise.

I'm not bothered by the wind noise at all. I don't know how it compares to other small SUVs, but it's no different than other high profile vehicles I've owned, like our Acura MDX or either of our previous Chrysler/Dodge minivans. When one can carry on a conversation at 80 mph at the same volume level as if you were going 35 or 40, that's something to be happy about I think. The tires have helped dramatically. They're both quieter and more responsive than the old, balding Cross Terrains. You can hear the road on coarse pavement or on concrete. On many better asphalt surfaces, the only noise you hear is the engine and the wind. They're great tires, and a great match for this chassis. Road noise was moderately high with the bald tires, but wind noise has never been high on this car in my experience. My in-laws' 2011 model is also pretty quiet, even at speed.

The 5-speed transmission has wide enough gear spacing for the car to have relatively long legs out on the open road. Cruising rpm is similar to that of our MDX or my former Camry...about 2500 rpm +/- at 80 mph. The MDX is a little slower, maybe 2200-2300 at that speed. But still close. It's different from other 4-cylinder Hondas, which might turn 3000-4000 at that same speed. My old 5-speed Corolla was 3000 rpm at 75 mph in 5th, so it was spinning a little faster on the interstate.

This CR-V is a quiet little cruiser, but I think tires matter dearly. My '07 Corolla was transformed into a very nimble little machine by a set of Yokohama Avid TRZ tires, and good tires have made a whale of a difference to this Honda as well. And at only 3500 pounds, even for the loaded AWD model, this is a relatively light SUV, so good tires seem to go even further in the fun-to-drive department.

I will say that the 2012 is definitely not as "perky". In another thread, folks are talking about Hondas losing their "soul"; the '12 model definitely drives with a more relaxed and seemingly uninterested attitude compared with the '11. Objectively, it's got a really nice ride, and still has some of the fun-to-drive factor, but it is missing an "edge" that I enjoy with the 3rd generation CR-V. Soft and quiet seems to sell these days, and I have no doubt that the '12 model will be a strong success, but I definitely think the balance has shifted some toward the more isolated end of the spectrum.

Another "something else". I updated all of my fuel data on this car. Here are my stats:

Total miles: 10,066
Total gallons: 417
Total lifetime mpg: 24.13 mpg
Total cost/mile: 14.3 cents/mile

Avg fuel cost: $3.46/gallon
Total fuel cost: $1,442.37

Best tank: 26.9 mpg
Worst tank: 22.3 mpg

All this compares pretty favorably with our MDX, which returns fewer MPG and uses premium. It's running at about 17.8 lifetime mpg and 20.5 cents/mile to drive.

I disagree about your conversation comment, based upon a few thousand miles riding in the highway in this vehicle. And you can tell it is noise and engine, on top of the tire sounds.

Both of the ones I've been in have been reasonably quiet; or at least no louder than other SUVs I've been in or owned. It sounds like the one you were in might have been uncommonly loud. Maybe an air leak at the windshield or a weather seal that didn't make good contact at the door.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Another "something else". I updated all of my fuel data on this car. Here are my stats:

Total miles: 10,066
Total gallons: 417
Total lifetime mpg: 24.13 mpg
Total cost/mile: 14.3 cents/mile

Avg fuel cost: $3.46/gallon
Total fuel cost: $1,442.37

Best tank: 26.9 mpg
Worst tank: 22.3 mpg

All this compares pretty favorably with our MDX, which returns fewer MPG and uses premium. It's running at about 17.8 lifetime mpg and 20.5 cents/mile to drive.

You should probably change that to 27.3 mpg.
smile.gif

Both of the ones I've been in have been reasonably quiet; or at least no louder than other SUVs I've been in or owned. It sounds like the one you were in might have been uncommonly loud. Maybe an air leak at the windshield or a weather seal that didn't make good contact at the door.

Ya know, I like Honda's! The Civic, Accord, CR-V and Acura's too! But, I have noticed that Honda's are not very quiet. Or I should say...Not as quiet as they should be for the money!

This is going to be kind'a long!

I have owned plenty of Honda's and driven even more. Compared to other vehicles in their class in terms of quiet, they're mid pack IMHO. Overall, they're Great Cars!

Now, on the other hand, I have driven in some newer vehicles from other MFG's that are extremely quiet, making Honda's seem even louder; namely GM! I have always enjoyed the quiet of a GM vehicle. Not all GM's maybe but, most GM vehicles! GM's repair history certainly isnt'where Honda's is though, is it?...Hopefully this will change!

Here is what surprises me so much with Honda/Acura vehicles...
My wife and I met with several friends out for dinner/drinks. I apearently dropped the car keys to my Altima in the resturant and my wife only had in her purse, her Lexus keys/house keys.

After dinner, we left my Altima in the resturant parking lot overnight and our friends with an Acrua RL drove us home and we invited them in for a nightcap.

I noticed on the way to our house that the RL wasn't that quiet for a car of this stature/price(I don't know the exact year of the Acura)

Later the next day, I called the restruant and they had my keys. My wife(in her, "not as quiet as it should be either", RX-300) drove me over to pick up my car. On the way home from the resturant in my(recovered Altima), I noticed how "unquiet" our friends Acura RL was(not that the Altima is super quiet but, it ain't bad). But, the Acura's loudness didn't come from exhaust, tire or engine noise but, from the simple lack of sound insulation. It was actualy disturbing and something that I'll not tollerate in vehicles any longer from Honda/Acura when the whole industry is as good as it is today.

At one time with me, it was all about quality/reliability with me and Honda's. Now, with most vehicles being much, much more reliable, quiet and very nice to drive, it isn't about Honda's anymore and at one time, Honda's are all I would drive/recomend!

My very good buddy of 40+ years asked me about a new SUV/CUV and he was considering a new CR-V/RAV4. When we drove the CR-V, RAV4 and Chevy Equinox...OMG!- OMG! The Equinox for similar money put to shame the CR-V and Rav4 in terms of quiet/comfort and noise(lack of). Holy ****!

It's as though someone at GM flipped on a light switch! One year their vehicle are below par, and the next year they're some of the nicest vehicles I have ever driven.

The CR-V is a nice vehicle and a derserving consideration for those who want a vehicle that does mostly all thing well as in Hokiefyd's situation. And I believe that Hokiefyd got a good CR-V and maybe a CR-V that is extra quiet/smooth and will certianly last a lifetime without issues. We don't know where other MFG's are going with their quality/reliability.

Hey, I have had two Corolla Rental Cars, back-to-back and one was nicer than the other. And maybe my good buddys' Equinox is the exception rather than the rule. IDK!

hypervish, the 27.3 mpg for this trip was across two tanks, neither of which were pure highway miles. So my trip average is 27.3, but 26.9 is still the best singular tank I've gotten.

Char Baby, I think you're absolutely right...Hondas aren't as quiet as they should be for the money, if you prioritize quiet and isolation. All I've owned, until recently, was quiet domestic vehicles (and one quiet Toyota). I've owned more GMs than any other brand, including two Cadillacs. After so many examples of that type of vehicle, I decided that I wanted more out of the driving experience. My first experience with that was my '07 Corolla. Light (at only 2500 pounds) and nimble, and rather fun to drive with its 5-speed manual transmission, I was addicted. I loved it. Our situation (owning an unreliable minivan) compelled me to trade the Corolla on an automatic Camry so my wife could drive it when the van was at the dealer. The Camry was a nice car, supremely quiet and comfortable (probably like the new GMs). It just didn't stir my gears, so to speak. After so many of that type of vehicle, I wanted the road feedback, I wanted the mechanical noises you hear from an engine, I wanted to feel more connected with the car.

I don't think the louder nature of Hondas is an accident, but a deliberate effort to achieve this type of driving experience. The CR-V's suspension subframes are bolted directly to the unibody, and not through rubber isolation bushings as they are with some other vehicles. Rubber isolation bushings remove road feel and road noise. Depending on what you're looking for in a vehicle, that's either a good or a bad thing.

It's not that Honda "can't" build a quiet vehicle. It's easy to fill unibody structure with insulating foam and add padding to floorboards and headliners. And it's not that GM "can't" build one that's as responsive to drive; they have a number of vehicles in their stable with relatively good driving dynamics. Each company has chosen a deliberate design direction for their mainstream offerings and both are having good sales success at it. There appear to be enough buyers out there looking for both flavors for both design directions to have success...which is great for those of us who prefer one over the other, whichever that may be.

You could turn your statement around and say something like, "the Equinox doesn't handle as well as it should, for being a small SUV." Again, true, but only if handling and responsiveness is at the top of your list. If you like relaxed comfort, the Equinox fits the bill quite nice.

It's not that Honda "can't" build a quiet vehicle. It's easy to fill unibody structure with insulating foam and add padding to floorboards and headliners. And it's not that GM "can't" build one that's as responsive to drive; they have a number of vehicles in their stable with relatively good driving dynamics. Each company has chosen a deliberate design direction for their mainstream offerings and both are having good sales success at it. There appear to be enough buyers out there looking for both flavors for both design directions to have success...which is great for those of us who prefer one over the other, whichever that may be.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this assessment. Our Honda is intolerable in the back seat due to road noise from the back tires. Inexcusably so, in my opinion. But I can't imagine they didn't know that when they designed the car.

hypervish, the 27.3 mpg for this trip was across two tanks, neither of which were pure highway miles. So my trip average is 27.3, but 26.9 is still the best singular tank I've gotten.

Char Baby, I think you're absolutely right...Hondas aren't as quiet as they should be for the money, if you prioritize quiet and isolation. All I've owned, until recently, was quiet domestic vehicles (and one quiet Toyota). I've owned more GMs than any other brand, including two Cadillacs. After so many examples of that type of vehicle, I decided that I wanted more out of the driving experience. My first experience with that was my '07 Corolla. Light (at only 2500 pounds) and nimble, and rather fun to drive with its 5-speed manual transmission, I was addicted. I loved it. Our situation (owning an unreliable minivan) compelled me to trade the Corolla on an automatic Camry so my wife could drive it when the van was at the dealer. The Camry was a nice car, supremely quiet and comfortable (probably like the new GMs). It just didn't stir my gears, so to speak. After so many of that type of vehicle, I wanted the road feedback, I wanted the mechanical noises you hear from an engine, I wanted to feel more connected with the car.

I don't think the louder nature of Hondas is an accident, but a deliberate effort to achieve this type of driving experience. The CR-V's suspension subframes are bolted directly to the unibody, and not through rubber isolation bushings as they are with some other vehicles. Rubber isolation bushings remove road feel and road noise. Depending on what you're looking for in a vehicle, that's either a good or a bad thing.

You could turn your statement around and say something like, "the Equinox doesn't handle as well as it should, for being a small SUV." Again, true, but only if handling and responsiveness is at the top of your list. If you like relaxed comfort, the Equinox fits the bill quite nice.

I concur. The CR-V is the choice to go for if you want a nimble, sharp CUV, but don't mind a bit of roadnoise.

I notice hokie, that your overall average is a bit bettert han ours (24 vs 17), but our highway mileage is pretty close together (25mpg vs 27).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back