I love aftermarket parts!

Good work! Even for Dorman this is an amazing new low rofl.

I question how a part like this even made it out their door. They don't pressure test the ports? A sensor screws into a blind hole and nobody notices?

I'm assuming these are casted then drilled out by hand, I don't see how a robot/machine could do this for one but not others.

Sweet....heck, I'd drive 2.5 hours to come see you when it's time to replace the timing belt on my 06 and 17 V6 J engines!!!!

Cars are manufactured w/aftermarket parts. You think Chevy makes their own cylinder heads. Your new car may have parts from Korea, Malaysia, etc. Some aftermarket parts exceed manufacturer specs. Some are junk.

I marvel at you guy's troubleshooting ability!

With a million different situations, that's the way it is today. It could take 4-5 different techs to figure it out. I wouldn't even know where to start if a solenoid or sensor replacement didn't work for me.

The other situation is replacement parts. Most of the time you're at the mercy of what you can get today from Napa, etc.. You won't know if it's an actual OEM part in the box or a Doorman part. All you can hope for is if the tech can make it right.

Originally Posted by NoNameJoe
I don't see how a robot/machine could do this for one but not others.

Because the (cheap) drill bit breaks off and no one notices for a while, nor pulls the defects. One probably went out with a partial hole and maybe even the broken bit stuck in it.

I have a lifter here that has the feed hole just started. Didn't discover this until it was installed. Supposed to be Hylift Johnsons but they were knockoffs. After I got real ones, the differences were obvious. Took them all out, couldn't get a refund. Sold on eBay by AMS Racing, Bossier City, LA.
[Linked Image]

You're not just a mechanic. You're a craftsman.

And that $240 was for the EOP switch - not just the valve body?

Originally Posted by borgward
Cars are manufactured w/aftermarket parts. You think Chevy makes their own cylinder heads. Your new car may have parts from Korea, Malaysia, etc. Some aftermarket parts exceed manufacturer specs. Some are junk.

You're being pedantic. In the context of this discussion, aftermarket means a cheap or low quality replacement for a "OE quality" part.

Unfortunately there are too many parts-changers masquerading as Mechanics. I hear it all the time from my friends and former colleagues who have been in the game for decades, how some new hires can hook-up a code reader, and swap parts, but actually diagnosing anything is a bit of a lost art.

Hopefully the new client now realizes you're not the typical parts-changer.

The man is a real highly qualified and skilled mechanic, its that simple. When I started there were a lot of them along with some fantastic engine machinist, today it is a dying breed.
I am 62 in Jan and don't do as much as I used to or as much a Cline does today but problems like this or doing some nice body/paint work still motivates me to keep doing it.

Reactions: 4WD
I was curious what Dorman translated to Chinese was; Google says "多尔曼 DuŠěr mà n",
which in my head translated to do over, man.

There's a huge difference between someone who can work on a vehicle and someone who just replaces parts.
Congrats on your new journey!! Best luck to ya sir !!ðŸ‘

I once bought a Dorman exhaust manifold for my Corolla to replace the cracked original. That thing has a heat shield that will block the oil filter. Didn't realize it blocked until I try to do an oil change a few miles down the road, and have to remove that darn thing before I can do the filter.

At least after removing the heat shield it didn't crack at all.

Originally Posted by Trav
The man is a real highly qualified and skilled mechanic, its that simple. When I started there were a lot of them along with some fantastic engine machinist, today it is a dying breed.
I am 62 in Jan and don't do as much as I used to or as much a Cline does today but problems like this or doing some nice body/paint work still motivates me to keep doing it.

If I wasn't clear, that was exactly my point.

As a former Master Tech, I've noticed the general decline in ability of 'Mechanics'. My friends and former colleagues confirm that decline.

Cline is clearly an exception to that. I hope his new client also recognizes that.

In my current 'hobby', I oversee mechanics that have to be fast, while also doing the job correctly. It's only a few that try out, that make the cut.

Originally Posted by 02SE

In my current 'hobby', I oversee mechanics that have to be fast, while also doing the job correctly. It's only a few that try out, that make the cut.

I don't think I'd make the cut.....Don't like to be hurried. While I've always had good efficiency, It flows naturally & I don't feel hurried if that makes sense?

The client picked it up today & said he has another one for me....So it's looking good right now; His "Lot Boy" had a code reader to check my work & check the readiness monitors for inspection.

Back