Lovely aftermarket parts

My 2015 Pilot threw a P3400 code which is typically oil pressure sensor. A friend picked up aftermarket part/installed on weekend advanced Automotive and it threw code again a few weeks later. So onto getting the Honda part and try again.

I think a lot of aftermarket parts are a 50/50 game.
Yep. I've changed to buying OEM parts now unless there isn't that option. My time is too valuable to be re-installing and returning parts that in the end are not much cheaper than the OEM option anyway. I thoroughly enjoy working on my vehicles, which is why I own older cars I get to tinker with, but replacing an alternator 3 times because the part sucks is not fun or efficient.

I had that code on my 2013 a couple of years back. Two OEM oil pressure switches (front & rear banks) fixed it.

Instead of just throwing parts at it, maybe properly diagnose the problem. If you have a decent scan tool you can see the oil pressure reading that the gauge sees. Then look at it with sensor wire disconnected, and again with the wire grounded. May just have a bad connection at the connector that after a few weeks of being tight, loosened up from vibrations enough to throw a code.

I have wasted hundreds of hours chasing poor aftermarket parts. Sure there is a time and a place. Like if OEM is 4 to 5 times the cost. I normally search the lifetime warrantees. Advance Auto always drops a jaw when I come in with a 10 year old defective part and the original receipt. Normally is changed to a 1 year warrantee as most are now. Sure replace both sensors but agree something also is probably happening. Get a guage

Advance Auto always drops a jaw when I come in with a 10 year old defective part and the original receipt.
The guy at NAPA was impressed when I brought in an 11 year old receipt, and even showed it off to his co-workers and manager. I might have set a store record there, or something. I'm specifically referring to one of the retail locations that's attached to a main NAPA distribution center (the one on Laurel, MD). This is the store that replaced the small store that used to be on Main Street in downtown Laurel. I first had to figure out that the store had moved.

I have wasted hundreds of hours chasing poor aftermarket parts. Sure there is a time and a place. Like if OEM is 4 to 5 times the cost. I normally search the lifetime warrantees. Advance Auto always drops a jaw when I come in with a 10 year old defective part and the original receipt. Normally is changed to a 1 year warrantee as most are now. Sure replace both sensors but agree something also is probably happening. Get a guage
A wise old mechanic told me many years ago "Just because it's new doesn't mean it's right".

As far as shortened warranties on aftermarket parts, about 25 years ago I bought a rebuilt Bosch alternator from Canadian Tire, with a 5-year warranty.

It failed after 3-1/2 years, and so was replaced under warranty. I guess I wasn't alone, as by that time CT had reduced their Bosch alternator warranty to three years.

When I buy aftermarket parts, I buy lifetime warranty versions if available. I keep folders for each car that has all of my receipts. I have receipts for years back since I've owned my 98 Chevy K1500 since new, my 98 Chevy K3500 since 2007 and my 92 Cavalier since 2006. I've had to use those warranties on more than one occasion and in some cases it was a good thing I had a receipt since it didn't show up in their records.

A wise old mechanic told me many years ago "Just because it's new doesn't mean it's right".

As far as shortened warranties on aftermarket parts, about 25 years ago I bought a rebuilt Bosch alternator from Canadian Tire, with a 5-year warranty.

It failed after 3-1/2 years, and so was replaced under warranty. I guess I wasn't alone, as by that time CT had reduced their Bosch alternator warranty to three years.
Sure, Bosch OEM and Bosch aftermarket (or whatever the make) are not the same animal, Or they are... Let me clarify, OEM spec parts are OEM spec parts specifically manufactured to the OEM tolerances. and life cycles specification. Aftermarkets are not as... Picky? Yes picky about these because the accountability to us and the accountability to a corporation that purchases 900,000 dollars of products that has to replace them for free when or if they fail get Testy? is testy the word? sure. Some times they are the same but not consistently I find.

Sure, Bosch OEM and Bosch aftermarket (or whatever the make) are not the same animal, Or they are... Let me clarify, OEM spec parts are OEM spec parts specifically manufactured to the OEM tolerances. and life cycles specification. Aftermarkets are not as... Picky? Yes picky about these because the accountability to us and the accountability to a corporation that purchases 900,000 dollars of products that has to replace them for free when or if they fail get Testy? is testy the word? sure. Some times they are the same but not consistently I find.
Agreed - I suppose the rationale is something like 'This part is for a 13-year-old car. Surely it doesn't need to be as good as the original, which went 13 years. How about engineering it to last five years? By that time the car will likely be off the road.

We (the manufacturer) will save money, can sell it the retailer for less, and they can sell it at a competitive price.'

Agreed - I suppose the rationale is something like 'This part is for a 13-year-old car. Surely it doesn't need to be as good as the original, which went 13 years. How about engineering it to last five years? By that time the car will likely be off the road.

We (the manufacturer) will save money, can sell it the retailer for less, and they can sell it at a competitive price.'
Which bring us full circle. What are we saving? It depend on who "we "are really. to the point, what does someone expect? There are different expectations, no. A phrase that says "meets or exceeds OEM specifications" to anyone intelligent enough to read this text it is solidly advertised and should be known as a part that is as bad as an OEM part. Period. However this part "IS" manufactured to be as good. Or better AKA will "exceed all the criteria the OEM manufacturer of the vehicle specifies. The parties and Censors of aftermarket parts speaks about equality fairness and support for the small shops and aftermarket companies, when in fact they hang them from the rafters and claim equal opportunity with sub OEM parts. Tell me up front the life span. Our part is half the price but half the life. Another statement is jus a communicative act that aims to cause receivers of the communication to adopt, or persist in, a false belief.

Having been in more tier supply manufacturers than I can count - I am not sure this is true. If you have a 10 year old car the part now being offered might be different - because that is no longer a production part. So the supplier might move to an "approved equivalent" part using material they now stock or use for other production. However if you buy the same part at the dealer, unless they have the New old stock - your likely getting the new approved equivalent also. So your now paying dealer pricing for the devalued part.

It would cost a supplier like Denso/NTK/Bosch more to make 2 different parts than any amount of material cost savings would incur.

Go buy the "OEM" part with a current date code for the same 12 year old car and compare it to the same part made by the original supplier - they will be the same. In any instance I have seen.

Note I am referring to the true OEM supplier - for example if the OEM used Hitachi, buy a Hitachi. Don't buy a Bosch and say its not the same as the Hitachi. And of course you need to know who made the original - sometimes there labeled, sometimes there not.

It takes extra time and effort but I’ve personally asked a dealership parts counter person if they would price match aftermarket parts and they did. Specifically 8 coil packs for my son’s F150. It wasn’t a hard job but one I don’t want to do again because of cheap aftermarket parts.

Back