I love aftermarket parts!

Cline how was the rear mount in that one, when the spool or related parts fail its a pretty common and big buck fail.
I found out when I was doing these the screen in the filter pad was for use in the non VCM engines but some ended up along with the spool screen being installed.

BTW Nice you are getting off to a good start! All the best.

Good story. I'm not the best at diagnosing electronics so the parts cannon method is usually how I do things. Lol.

Congrats on your new business btw.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by 02SE

In my current 'hobby', I oversee mechanics that have to be fast, while also doing the job correctly. It's only a few that try out, that make the cut.

I don't think I'd make the cut.....Don't like to be hurried. While I've always had good efficiency, It flows naturally & I don't feel hurried if that makes sense?

The client picked it up today & said he has another one for me....So it's looking good right now; His "Lot Boy" had a code reader to check my work & check the readiness monitors for inspection

Building Top Fuel engines isn't for everyone. I think its one of those things where you do the same thing so many times, ideally 7 rebuilds a weekend more this past weekend at Indy, that you get fast at it. Well maybe not 7, 1 or 2 complete engine changes, maybe a shortblock swap out depending on how the tuner reads the track/temp/grains of water/1,000 other variables.

Eight engine builds for a regular event if you make it to the final. Nine if you make it to the final at the 'Big Go'.

Until the track and atmospheric conditions are known, and how those conditions are trending, the powertrain is not assembled. It all happens as close to the run-time as possible.

I started a list of just some of the variables, (the possible combinations are almost infinite) and then recalled that sharing even non-specific info on another website prompted some anonymous person to try to cause problems in the past.

Sorry I can't be more forthcoming.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Eight engine builds for a regular event if you make it to the final. Nine if you make it to the final at the 'Big Go'.

Until the track and atmospheric conditions are known, and how those conditions are trending, the powertrain is not assembled. It all happens as close to the run-time as possible.

I started a list of just some of the variables, (the possible combinations are almost infinite) and then recalled that sharing even non-specific info on another website prompted some anonymous person to try to cause problems in the past.

Sorry I can't be more forthcoming.

I completely understand. I have become friends with an owner of a NASCAR Cup team and I tell him if he can't answer a question I totally understand.

Originally Posted by Trav
Cline how was the rear mount in that one, when the spool or related parts fail its a pretty common and big buck fail.
I found out when I was doing these the screen in the filter pad was for use in the non VCM engines but some ended up along with the spool screen being installed.

BTW Nice you are getting off to a good start! All the best.

The rear mount looks to be a "newer" OE mount.....In fact the whole vehicle looks like it was taken care of before it got traded then auctioned? Not that I know any history!

Yes sir.....I am aware of the screen at the filter pad on some VCM engines, The engine is very clean inside especially for it being a VCM version. No varnish in the ports at the end of the rear cylinder head & looked clean peeking down the oil fill hole. So I didn't feel it was necessary to remove & inspect the screen.

Oil pressure at the VCM EOP sensor was good a hot idle after a hard test drive (After getting oil to it
laugh.gif
)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Nice work! Good mechanics like you and Trav are far and few.

I agree one hundred percent ^^^^^

Cline, Trav and The Critic are all great... I'd have them work on my car in a heartbeat...

I work at a parts store and I'd say a good 90% of the mechanics that order parts from us are nothing more than parts changers. I wish we had more people like you because my job would be much more enjoyable.

Parts quality is unfortunately an issue across the industry and I don't see that issue going away. It's gonna get worse just like the skill of most mechanics.

But yes, screw Dorman. Literally all of their stuff is either defective or inferior to the OE part.

Looks good. The stinkers I used to do failed mostly from deposits and ungodly varnish, low pressure even after replacement, I came on the pad screen by accident and it was clogged too. I don't do them much anymore or any Japanese or US cars (occasionally) for that matter I stick to euro cars mostly.

Originally Posted by spackard
I was curious what Dorman translated to Chinese was; Google says "多尔曼 DuŠěr mà n",
which in my head translated to do over, man.

...‚

On an unrelated note, there was a Chinese capacitor company called Fujjyu that was known to make bad caps. Supposedly, the name means doo-doo in Mandarin.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
....On my second day of being open for business in my own shop...
Best wishes to you good sir.

Many here have learned much from you and your myriad contributions...thanks!

Obviously good work.
Reinforces one of my stubborn habits - every 'blind' hole gets a soft copper strand pushed through it until I can see it by another passage, carbs and such...

I have been burned so many times with aftermarket parts. It’s like Lucy with the football. I have finally pretty much learned my lesson and stick to OEM GM parts. The fact that OEM parts are available from third party jobbers at cheaper than the dealer is a bonus.

Yeah depending on what the aftermarket part will be I usually go OEM on some things like thermostats and a few other things because I hate doing jobs twice especially if they are labor intensive. I can see why you only use OEM now.

A little late to this party but has anybody ever told Dorman?

Is the EOP the grey connector one at the top side of the part in the 3rd picture to the left?

What does EOP mean?

Back