I just saw a Bobcat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing was in my yard! I came home from dinner and I saw something move as I pulled into the driveway.

It's dusk so it's was a little hard to see so I drove through the bushes to investigate thinkin it was a Coyote.

Large striped kitty with a long black tail. I wish I had a camera with me.

I figured they were around. I have never seen one till today(although they prolly seen me).

Looked alot like the one in this vid.

http://www.desertusa.com/april96/du_bcat1.html

Chris -

I have friends in Fawnskin and they have seen lots of wildlife recently, including a bobcat, since the Butler #2 fire.

They got some nice pictures of it - an impressive animal for sure.

I see lots of really healthy looking coyotes here near the lake on Eagle Point and over towards Vons (behind Big Bear Choppers).

Quote:

Found this.

"The face appears wide due to ruffs of extended hair beneath the ears".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobcat

It's got a stubby tail, though. You sure the local zoo isn't missing a medium sized feline?
hide.gif

I'm still kinda uncertain of what I saw. Everything matches a Bobcat except the tail. Furry body, Fur under it's ears, yellow/tan with grey or black stripes. But the black tail that went all the way to the ground has me confused.

It sure wasn't a house cat!
dunno.gif

Did the ears have tufts of fur on top? They also have dark, or black bars on the front legs, and are generally more spotted than striped, althought soemtimes the spots arrange themselves into streaks.
A tail that reaches the ground is not indicative of a bobcat at all.
Maybe a hybrid?

I did not see the front legs. I didn't notice any tuffs of hair on top of the ears. It was a little too far away and getting too dark to see.

I've looked at pics of Mtn Lions and they are much more musculer and have much shorter hair than a Bobcat.

Can a Bobcat mate with something else?

Except for the long tail, it kinds sounds like a Lynx (Bobcats are in the Lynx family as well).

Perhaps it's a cross breed with a panther or something similar.

Quote:

I don't think a cougar could or would mate with a bobcat.

hahahaha no kiddin.. thats too funny. a bobcat with a long tail huh? you know there are some that do not have a bobbed tail, but they are still short.

Did it look like this at all? This a house cat called a Norwegian forest cat. These cats along with maine coon cats sometimes breed with wild bobcats. That may have been what you saw.

truls.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back