I just made the switch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to dubious business practices (I really don't know what to believe!), and after well more than a decade of 100% Mobil 1 use, I just switched over to PP 5-30 for my 2000 Silverado (5.3) with 170,000 on the OD. Along with a Napa Gold filter, I am making the change and hoping for the best.

I'll be going to durablend, but not specifically due to mobil's "business practices", --- M1 is just really expensive down here. durablend is about half price. I even have a jug of Valv conventional. I wish I could get my hands on Pennzoil 10w30 mineral, i don't see that much anymore.

Haha that's awesome. I just ditched my M1 0w20 and picked up some PP 5w30. Their refusal to speak up against Valvoline did it for me.

They gave their typical vague cookie cutter responses they always do. (Such as on their Q&A on their website)

It's the first syn I used in my truck. So far so good. Don't forget about the air filter.

PP is good stuff, and the fact that is costs less it another big +. I took a look at those M1 oil filters a WM, I couldn't believe they cost that much?

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Due to dubious business practices (I really don't know what to believe!), and after well more than a decade of 100% Mobil 1 use, I just switched over to PP 5-30 for my 2000 Silverado (5.3) with 170,000 on the OD. Along with a Napa Gold filter, I am making the change and hoping for the best.

You don't find labeling PP as a synthetic dubious as well? I know it is a good oil but it is hydro cracked dino oil no?

Originally Posted By: ctc

You don't find labeling PP as a synthetic dubious as well? I know it is a good oil but it is hydro cracked dino oil no?

As you might have read, I said I "don't know what to believe" and I am "hoping for the best" I didn't just make the M1 to PP change on a whim, nor can I have unquestioned confidence in it. Just seems to me too much M1 controversy has surfaced.

Originally Posted By: aaxb970
PP was on sale I was thinking of using it also! Seems to get good reviews here. Its also the official oil of RCR!

GO 31

Originally Posted By: ctc

It's not dubious because it's legal in the United States to do it.

(Potentially) Failing a Seq IV test and selling an oil as API certified?

Anyway, I'm a PP convert and I'll probably never look back.

Well, Valvoline certainly gets an A+ for putting doubt in the minds of Mobil 1 users. I believe there chief marketing officer just got a 75,000 dollar a year raise. Meanwhile, Pennzoil is sitting on the beach with a Martini laughing.

Last edited:
When was the last time you heard M1 critize other companies? They don't need that to do that to sell their oils.IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back