I just made the switch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
When was the last time you heard M1 critize other companies? They don't need that to do that to sell their oils.IMO.

You are right tig, they don't. And that's something I have always found to be quite classy.

I switched from Mobil 1 to Valvoline synthetic 5w30 in my '96 Impala mainly due to price $26 vs $19 at Wal-Mart. The controversy also helped sway me, why pay more for something just as good?

I ran Mobil 1 10W30 exclusively in my 88 E-150 Van, I changed over to PP 5W30, and will continue to use that in my van. I'm thinking of changing the Jeep over to Amsoil 0W20 in the spring. The current fill of M1 only has 200 miles on it so its going to stay for now.

You know what impressed me about Mobil 1? On their website looking for the Mobil 1 EP filter part number for my moms car they actually gave alternative recommendations. While I do not agree with one of the recommendations, I do appreciate that they list them.

Current Vehicle:
Year: 2002
Make: Subaru
Model: Outback
Engine Type: 6cyl. 3.0Liter Naturally Aspirated

Filter matches for the vehicle you selected:

Mobil 1
Mobil 1 Model M1104
Other options
Champion Model PH2808
Fram Model PH3593A

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
Originally Posted By: ctc
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Due to dubious business practices (I really don't know what to believe!), and after well more than a decade of 100% Mobil 1 use, I just switched over to PP 5-30 for my 2000 Silverado (5.3) with 170,000 on the OD. Along with a Napa Gold filter, I am making the change and hoping for the best.

You don't find labeling PP as a synthetic dubious as well? I know it is a good oil but it is hydro cracked dino oil no?

It's not dubious because it's legal in the United States to do it.

(Potentially) Failing a Seq IV test and selling an oil as API certified?

Anyway, I'm a PP convert and I'll probably never look back.

Just because it is legal to call it synthetic doesn't make it right. There are many things that are legal to do in the US that are not necessarily good things to do.

I've got no problem with PP and the UOAs look good. However, if I'm buying a synthetic, it should be a synthetic.

Also, marketing accusations don't sway me. Let me see the proof.

just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Due to dubious business practices (I really don't know what to believe!), and after well more than a decade of 100% Mobil 1 use, I just switched over to PP 5-30 for my 2000 Silverado (5.3) with 170,000 on the OD. Along with a Napa Gold filter, I am making the change and hoping for the best.

You don't find labeling PP as a synthetic dubious as well? I know it is a good oil but it is hydro cracked dino oil no?

Just because it is legal to call it synthetic doesn't make it right. There are many things that are legal to do in the US that are not necessarily good things to do.

I've got no problem with PP and the UOAs look good. However, if I'm buying a synthetic, it should be a synthetic.

Also, marketing accusations don't sway me. Let me see the proof.

just my 2 cents

Here we are, arguing semantics. I don't really understand your logic. Your own government issued the definition. How is it dubious if companies adhere to something legal?

What are you concerned about, the fact that its labeled synthetic but wasn't actually created by men in white coats in a laboratory?

Why not be concerned about the performance of the oil, rather than the category of its basestock?

I just bought 2 jugs of 5W 30 PP for my 2005 Camry 4 cyl. Will be dumping out the M1 this spring time. Granted , they are both great oils , but M1 was hard to find here.
Walmart here had close out on M1 oil filters at $7.00 each.....I bought 5 of them.....I should be good for a while.
BOB

The government defines a lot of things that I'm not happy with. Doesn't that happen in Canada?

Originally Posted By: Riptide
Just drained the M1 5w20 in the mustang this weekend and filled it with PP and a fresh MC filter.

At least Billings had decent weather for you to do that in.

While I am using PP myself I wonder if a long term PP motor would be as clean looking as most Mobil 1 motors appear?

The government defines a lot of things that I'm not happy with. Doesn't that happen in Canada?

There are a lot of group III syns that are excellent, if not better then the more expensive syns for the < 10k mile oci crowd.

I have 10 jugs of PP, well 9 now, which my car will get exclusively for the next 100k kms. I paid $19/jug, compared to $40/jug for M1. Never used M1, and see no reason to use it when there are better products for less money.

Originally Posted By: webfors

There are a lot of group III syns that are excellent, if not better then the more expensive syns for the < 10k mile oci crowd.

I have 10 jugs of PP, well 9 now, which my car will get exclusively for the next 100k kms. I paid $19/jug, compared to $40/jug for M1. Never used M1, and see no reason to use it when there are better products for less money.

My comments on PP were that "its a good oil" and "I have no problem with PP and the UOAs look good"

Did I say that PP was a bad oil???

What is your proof that it is superior to M1?

Down here PP is $19 a jug I believe and M1 is $26. Not as big of a difference.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

At least Billings had decent weather for you to do that in.

Yeah the car sat for a month in the garage because the streets have been so dirty, icy, etc.. Last Saturday morning the main roads were clear and what little ice was left on the side streets was frozen still so I jumped in the car and took advantage. Started right up although I did get a puff of blue smoke initially. Car will probably sit for a while again now depending on how much snow we get Wednesday. If it's light then I might have another opportunity to drive the car this weekend. :)

Just because a bunch of lying conniving lawyers say its right doesn't mean its right.

In my Walmart, there is hardly any difference in prices of Mobil-1 and Pennzoil Platinum. As a matter of fact Castrol Syntec and GX are over priced. I will stay with mobil-1 0w30, and Super Tech synthetic. I empirically like Castrol, but it is never priced right (it used to be, but then they won the case over Mobil).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back