I guess I never knew they sold oil in gallons????

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just moved to Atlanta from portland Oregon. I had been useing edge in my honda element but I cant seem to find any at a resonable price here so I figured I'd go back to PP. I went down to advance auto parts (dont have those in portland) and got a jug of PP. After I changed the oil it read low so I ended up putting the rest of the jug in. Just figured I drained out a little extra somehow. Well I checked the oil again and it was still low!! looked for leaks and nothing then looked at the oil jug.....a gallon???? I've never even herd of oil being sold in a gallon! Only 5 quarts or 1 quart. Is this a common thing and I have just been oblivious??

Depends on where you shop. 5 qt more often found at Walmart; gallons everywhere else, mostly. Welcome to the new, improved world, I guess.

Since my cars/trucks require either a 4.5 qt fill, or 6 qt fill, I have gotten used to reading closely which kind of jug I am dealing with.

Originally Posted By: ryland
My thing is I've never had a car that took four quarts or less so how does a gallon help anyone???

Toyota tercel, gm 3.5, most kia's/hyundais, all take 4qts or less. Now you've heard of some.

Originally Posted By: JT1
My thing is I've never had a car that took four quarts or less so how does a gallon help anyone???

Toyota tercel, gm 3.5, most kia's/hyundais, all take 4qts or less. Now you've heard of some.

Ok well not any cars worth having! lol just kidding. Well I guess now I'll look before I buy.

Originally Posted By: casperfun

Nissan Xterra takes 3.5 Qts.

exactly. I buy 3 gallons at a time so it works out to 3 oil changes for the X and 2 oil changes for the lawn mower. My other vehicle takes a 5qt jug....no problems there.

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
Toyota Camry, Honda Accord

these are best sellers that use 1 gallon!

My accord takes 5 quarts... I'm not sure about the Camry.. However I also despise the gallon PCMO jugs, and shop for 5 gallon jugs when purchasing oil, and also is a major purchasing decision for me which can be easily found at walmart. I do understand the need for the use for gallon jugs especially in the HDEO department..

Gee, my truck holds 6 quarts with an oversize filter, how does 5 quarts help anyone???

BTW, I've never seen 5 qt jugs outside of walmart. Quarts and Gallons in the rest of the world.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: flatlandtacoma
Quarts and Gallons in the rest of the world.

Liters, 4L and 5L.

blush.gif
Oops, I should not have said "world" I meant USA. Of course it is Liters in the rest of the world!

I believe this has fooled a lot of people who have seen Rotella Synthetic 5w40 on the shelf at WalMart in gallon jugs beside Mobil 1 that they sell in 5 quart jugs and thought the Rotella was a LOT better price than Mobil 1.

I heart Walmart's jugs.

Buy a 5 qt jug, open the cap, pour it all in and turn the key. Done.

Of course, both of my vehicle take 5 qts.

When I'm done with the Mustang, though, it's going to take 8.5 qts. I'll probably start buying gal jugs and a qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back