I found a source for Chevron Delo 400 SAE 10/30!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a lucky guy! I found a friendly Chevron Dealer that was able(And willing!)to order me a couple of(12 quart)cases of Chevron Delo 400 oil(And, I did order two cases)! I was pleased to not have to buy this oil in bulk form! After reading on this forum about how good this Dino oil was supposed to be, I started searching for a good local source for this oil-to be used in my new Chevrolet(Gasoline)factory crate 450hp/502 engine! I hope that this Delo 400 oil formulation will prove to be a good choice? The engine is still new-so, I don't want to use a higher viscosity than is recommended for this engine from Chevrolet(Which is SAE 5/30 but it never gets much colder than +29 degrees here in northern California-so, I prefered to go with SAE 10/30 viscosity!)! Please give me your comments? Thanks!

[ November 23, 2005, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: slick8 ]

I was puzzled by the answer that a Chevron Oil Company Technical person gave me regarding the choice between the New(SM rated)Chevron Supreme SAE 10/30 or, the Delo 400 SAE 10/30 diesel oil for usage in my factory Chevrolet 450hp/502 crate motor? The technician chose Chevron Supreme in preference to the Delo 400(Despite the fact that I told him that my 1969 El Camino didn't require a catalytic convertor(And, didn't have one!))? He claimed that the different SM additives(Such as Moly!)which had been substituted for the earlier(SL rated)Chevron oils, would not give inferior wear results when compared with the older(SL rated)Chevron oils? So now, I'm really confused-because I just always thought that the Delo 400 oil should be superior to Chevron Supreme?

Although I realize that Chevron Supreme is a top rated oil on this forum, I also had assumed that the Delo 400 would offer greater wear protection and could offer longer oil drain interval protection? This recommendation by the Chevron technician, seems(To me!)to be contrary to what this forum has mostly reported? Since this is very disturbing, I'd sure like to get some various opinions here, regarding this? If Delo 400 really would be better than Chevron Supreme, in SAE 10/30-then, I certainly want to use it, in this case? It's time for the oil experts here to come forward? I'm a newbie here! Please comment(With facts as well, if possible?)?

All I can say is that my Rigs run 12 gallons of Delo 400 15-40 in them and I run 10,000 miles per OIC.

I also run Delo 400 15-40 in the rest of my vechiles ranging from a Chrysler 3.8 to a 440 5.9 An International 6.9,Buick 3.3 and Dodge 318 5.2I understand that flat tappet cams need the extra additives of the Diesel oil. All my cars and pickup trucks run a 5,000mile OIC.

The Rigs have gone millions of miles with Rod and Main bearing changes about 200,000 miles. I guess it depends on if you have a roller cam or flat tappets.All my vehicles but a few of the old Mopars are well into the 150,000 plus mark. Hey,that same dealer could order you some synthetic Chevron oil in all sorts of ranges.I think I even saw a 5-60 weight. I believe the Corvette is factory filled with synthetics....something to think about
banghead.gif
I think the oil you have will work just fine.

Several BITOGers have resorted to mixing DELO 15W-40 with Havoline or Chevron Supreme 5W-20 to approximate a HDEO 10W-30 with a hefty dose of moly.

Congratulations, however, on sourcing the real deal!
fruit.gif

Here in SoCal, where Supreme 5w20 is non-existent at all, I mix Delo 15w40 w/ the thinnest Supreme available in stores(5w30 SM GF-4) for a tad thicker 10w30 for the 190E..coincidentally(and appropriately)for our clime.
cheers.gif

Delo surely is a more robust oil. There is a discussion about HTHS, and ACEA ratings elsewhere on the site.. do a search. Delo meets ACEA E5. This snip will get you started on feeling good about your choice..

In October 2000 Europe saw the entry into force of the EURO 3 standard, which entails a sharp reduction in pollutant emissions from goods and passenger vehicles. All vehicle manufacturers in the European Union are subject to this new regulation.

Meanwhile, as a result of globalization in the sector (brand mergers, joint developments and design projects, etc.), manufacturers are producing vehicle and engine designs with maintenance and other requirements of a global nature. These designs are becoming ever more sophisticated: less maintenance, increasingly long oil-drain and filter-change intervals, higher power and performance for much lower fuel consumption, more uniform electronics and engine operation, and so on.

Meeting these needs has entailed the development of a new generation of lubricants with ever higher quality levels:

- Updating of the current ACEA E2, E3 and E4 specifications, now much stricter and known as ACEA E2 & E3 Issue 3 (99 Edition), and E4-99.
- The new specification ACEA E5* (1999) for new EURO 3 engines.
- The new specification API CH-4* for new American engines (market leaders in earthmoving & construction equipment) subject to the strict American regulations on pollutant emissions.

* Both ACEA E5 and API CH-4 are global, worldwide specifications: any oil meeting them is a top-quality lubricant in any country.

I am convinced Shell/Chevron/Mobil all "guide" people with gasoline engines to their gasoline engine specific oils. No rational for it at all.
I have a 600RWHP LS1 GTO with Shell Rotella 15-40 in it for the record. It loves it. Your big block will love the Chevron 10-30 HDEO.....

1)Thanks, sgtgeek!

2)Now all I need, is to get some more valuable input regarding the usage of Delo 400 10/30 HDEO oil versus using the Chevron Supreme 10/30 oil, as the "Best choice" for my GM Performance crate 502 engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back