OLM vs annual change - Duramax with DELO 400 15W-40 in it

I have a 2006 Chevrolet with the 6.6 Duramax diesel engine. I have been using DELO 400 15W-40 in it since I bought it, changing annually or more frequently if noted by by the OLM. I have not been putting many miles on the truck lately and it is coming up on a year since I did. The OLM still shows 80%. I have read where oil manufacturers recommend changing at 12 months. What would you guys do? Change when the year is up? Change when the OLM gets closer to 0% (that could be a few years based on usage)?

I have fresh oil and filter ready to go.

If it's run at highway speeds or even just around town for a half an hour once in a while I'd run it to at least 5000. If it's just short tripped all the time I wouldn't change it before 3000. I just don't get excited about time limits with today's oils, but that's just me.

I'm not a fan of an OLM, especially from a 2006 vehicle. I'd ignore the OLM and either go by time or miles. Time to hide.
27.gif
Spend a few $$ on a UOA, with TBN and set up an OCI based on that.

The OLM should have time in its algorithm, so it should be ok to still go by that. However, most of us I think consider two years as max time on oil. If it were mine, I'd go by the OLM for up to two years.

I have a 2006 Chevrolet with the 6.6 Duramax diesel engine. I have been using DELO 400 15W-40 in it since I bought it, changing annually or more frequently if noted by by the OLM. I have not been putting many miles on the truck lately and it is coming up on a year since I did. The OLM still shows 80%. I have read where oil manufacturers recommend changing at 12 months. What would you guys do? Change when the year is up? Change when the OLM gets closer to 0% (that could be a few years based on usage)?

I have fresh oil and filter ready to go.
My 2006 Duramax has only been going 2000 miles a so a year on Rotella T6. I reset the OLM and run it another 6 months the last two OCI's.

Last edited:
Back