I finally used up my Castrol Edge 0w30 Euro stash

I bought two oil changes worth of GC/BC a few years ago at Pep Boys. I used one of them soon after, and the other I didn't use until today. The reason for waiting so long was that the car I changed the oil on now calls for 5w30 in an amount close enough to 5 quarts that you can just dump in 5 qt and call it a day. It went in a 1998 Forester that says 4.8 qt.

The Castrol was paired with a Napa Platinum filter from their sale. The filter it replaced was a US-made Proselect, but I didn't cut it open and take pics because I had to use the hammer and screwdriver to remove it. I mention the Proselect because some of them are made in Korea now, a reboxed OE Korean Mann W811/80 (Mann is the OE supplier to Hyundai and the parent company of Wix. My US Proselect said Mann-Hummel on it and was made in late 2018). The US Proselect has a black ADBV, or it might have a combo valve. The Korean Proselect has a silicone ADBV. The Platinum that replaced it of course has a silicone ADBV, and it is made in the US, too.

The car I had before called for 4.2 qt, so I used 4 qt. For the last couple OCI's in that car, I used some of the Rotella T6 5w30 I got for free a few years ago. I still have some T6 left, but since it only comes in gallons, and my current car needs another quart, I'll use the gallon of T6 plus a quart of something else because Shell doesn't sell the T6 5w30 by the quart. The last quart may be Rotella T5 10w30 or Napa Synthetic 5w30, to be decided at the next OCI

All other cars I've changed the oil on recently spec 0w20 or 5w20, so I used 0w20 instead.

The car I had before called for 4.2 qt, so I used 4 qt. For the last couple OCI's in that car, I used some of the Rotella T6 5w30 I got for free a few years ago. I still have some T6 left, but since it only comes in gallons, and my current car needs another quart, I'll use the gallon of T6 plus a quart of something else because Shell doesn't sell the T6 5w30 by the quart. The last quart may be Rotella T5 10w30 or Napa Synthetic 5w30, to be decided at the next OCI.

Actually I believe T6 is sold by the quart or at least it was (I've seen it). Good luck finding it though.

I still have some GC green....I don’t have a vehicle that calls for anything that thick so I’ll probably hold onto it until I do....or I could add a qt. at a time to oil changes in my 20 wt. spec’d vehicles.

if you have engines that need topping off between changes, the castrol could work very well. Thick enough to offset some fuel dilution and high enough in additives to give a bit of a boost till OCI

if you have engines that need topping off between changes, the castrol could work very well. Thick enough to offset some fuel dilution and high enough in additives to give a bit of a boost till OCI
Never thought of top-off oil that way. Thanks.

I still have ~1/4 a quart remaining from my stash, since I just used ~3.7 quarts in my latest oil change.

I had bought 9 quarts a few years back when they were going for $0.25/quart on closeout (cleaned out the store).

Back