I can find lots of Dexos 2 certified oils, but most say, "For gas engines." I have a GMC with 2.8 diesel

The owners manual for my 2017 GMC Canyon's 2.8 liter Diesel engine says to use semi synthetic 5W30 Dexos 2 oil. I find lots of full synthetic oils labeled Dexos 1 2nd Gen and a few labeled Dexos 2, but most are also labeled "For use in Gasoline Engines." Jiffy Lube says, "You gotta bring your own oil because we don't carry Dexos 2." Amazon had four quarts of Pennzoil Euro L that are labeled for Gasoline and Diesel vehicles, but I need 6. There are lots of oils offered for Diesel vehicles but they aren't labeled Dexos 2. What am I missing here?

Dexos 2 is a GM spec based on ACEA C3, ACEA C3 is a euro mid-SAPS specification for both diesel passenger cars with dpfs using ultra low sulfur and gasoline cars using ultra low sulfur fuel, so Dexos 2 will work in either.
Either? I think you are saying both gas and diesel vehicles? So I can use any Dexos 2 oil even if is says it is for gas engines?

I've used dexos 2 5w-30 in my gasoline engines and it's great oil considering it's the same price as the regular stuff but undoubtedly better. I use it in the 4 bangers since they get short tripped and idle a lot in traffic and they're slow so they get stomped to accelerate in peak traffic hours. Walmart sells PP euro L 5w-30 regularly.

Welcome to BITOG 🎉

If it's dexos2, it's dexos2, even if it says for gas engines. full synthetic is fine, too.

It's not just for gas engines. It's for any engine requiring dexos2 :)
In fact, GM used dexos2 for all their cars in Europe, gas or diesel. And the C8 also calls for dexos2 (they even back-spec'd it to every Corvette)

That Jiffy Lube sucks if they don't carry dexos2 because as you said, PP Euro L is dexos2, and Jiffy Lube is actually owned by SOPUS/Pennzoil :unsure:
It is available at Walmart at a good price. If you can't do it yourself, you can have it done at Walmart, if you have a Walmart that does oil changes nearby. I'd rather go to Walmart than Jiffy Lube :sneaky:

If your local WM doesn't carry it, or if you still prefer Amazon for some reason, Here is a case of 6. Here is a 5qt jug of Castrol dexos2. You can even use this 5w40 from Amalie.

The cheapest option seems to be the 5qt Castrol plus one quart of PP Euro L. You can mix them with no problem :)

You should complain to Jiffy Lube corporate and tell them about it. Jiffy Lubes should have access to any Pennzoil product, even the obscure ones.

Either? I think you are saying both gas and diesel vehicles? So I can use any Dexos 2 oil even if is says it is for gas engines?

correct

Welcome to BITOG 🎉

If it's dexos2, it's dexos2, even if it says for gas engines. full synthetic is fine, too.

It's not just for gas engines. It's for any engine requiring dexos2 :)
In fact, GM used dexos2 for all their cars in Europe, gas or diesel. And the C8 also calls for dexos2 (they even back-spec'd it to every Corvette)

That Jiffy Lube sucks if they don't carry dexos2 because as you said, PP Euro L is dexos2, and Jiffy Lube is actually owned by SOPUS/Pennzoil :unsure:
It is available at Walmart at a good price. If you can't do it yourself, you can have it done at Walmart, if you have a Walmart that does oil changes nearby. I'd rather go to Walmart than Jiffy Lube :sneaky:

If your local WM doesn't carry it, or if you still prefer Amazon for some reason, Here is a case of 6. Here is a 5qt jug of Castrol dexos2. You can even use this 5w40 from Amalie.

The cheapest option seems to be the 5qt Castrol plus one quart of PP Euro L. You can mix them with no problem :)

You should complain to Jiffy Lube corporate and tell them about it. Jiffy Lubes should have access to any Pennzoil product, even the obscure ones.

correct
I got my last oil change at Walmart. They had Dexos 2 oils available but refused to install them because of the “For gas engines” statement on their labels. I finally found a jug of Pennzoil Euro L in the shelf, which was Dexos2 AND had the “For gas and diesel” label. But I worried since that an oil marketed as intended for European sports sedans might not meet the needs of a diesel in other ways. I am getting close to the next oil change and came here to learn what type of Dexos2 oil I should use. I appreciate your help and the answers provided by you and others here. And yes, I now understand that Dexos 1 Gen 2 is not the same as Dexos 2. It has to have the 2 in the box before the Dexos logo.

I got my last oil change at Walmart. They had Dexos 2 oils available but refused to install them because of the “For gas engines” statement on their labels. I finally found a jug of Pennzoil Euro L in the shelf, which was Dexos2 AND had the “For gas and diesel” label. But I worried since that an oil marketed as intended for European sports sedans might not meet the needs of a diesel in other ways. I am getting close to the next oil change and came here to learn what type of Dexos2 oil I should use. I appreciate your help and the answers provided by you and others here.

Any dexos2 is fine.

The Walmart incident is weird because the Euro L should pop up on their computers as the correct oil for your car. It shows up on their site as fitting your 2017 Canyon with the 2.8L :unsure:

(The VM Motori diesel on your car was the only 2.8L engine offered on the 2017 Canyon)

And yes, I now understand that Dexos 1 Gen 2 is not the same as Dexos 2. It has to have the 2 in the box before the Dexos logo.

Also, the dexos2 logo you need is blue :)

Here is a comparison of the two logos. As slacktide_bitog said, you need the blue one.

1651846252672.jpeg

(The VM Motori diesel on your car was the only 2.8L engine offered on the 2017 Canyon)

Also, the dexos2 logo you need is blue :)
That is very useful, especially the note on the blue logo! I had not picked up on that. And while I knew the engine was made in Thailand I had no idea it was the same Stellantis engine used in the Jeep. And for others who might be doing searches here, I found these two vehicles use the same 2.8 liter diesel engine:
  • 3 A 428: Chevrolet Colorado.
  • 2 RA 428: Jeep Wrangler.
It turns out that this A 428 engine was developed jointly by GM and VM but when Fiat/Stellantis bought the other half of the company, part of the buyout agreement between GM and Fiat was that GM would share manufacturing rights on the jointly developed engines, including the A428 engine. VM Motori was making the A428 for European applications, while GM had the designs and license to build this engine but no facility to build it. This directly lead to GM building an all-new, $200 million plant construction in Royong, Thailand in 2011. So it isn't a VM-built engine, but is the same design.

I've put 30,000 miles on it in five years. Top mileage over 50 miles was 40 mpg, but a measured overall-combined highway/interstate/city average is 28.5 mpg. I can drive it, in cruise control, up 8 percent grades at 6000 ft elevation, and it never downshifts. It has that much torque. Tow rating is 7700 lbs and that doesn't diminish as you climb in altitude.

Thanks again to all.

Last edited:
Advance Auto. 5 quarts Fram dexos2 5W-40 and a filter for $29.99.

My store will usually discount the extra quart too.
Terrific! I had to run all over town to find an oil filter for Walmart to install. Only found one. So I ordered two from Amazon and now have a spare. Same with fuel filters which come in pairs for this engine. They last between 10,000 and 35,000 miles depending on the quality of fuel used. Mine went 30,000 but were pretty black.

Sounds like Advanced Auto is a really deal. I think I paid that much for one filter last summer. There is one nearby. But I think the Fram has a green Dexos label. No matter. They don't offer Pennzoil Euro L, but If that turns out to the the case I'll find something else. Their app doesn't let me enlarge the labels enough to find a blue Dexos label. (Note: RooflessVW just sent me a blow up of the Fram Euro bottle and indeed it is Dexos 2. Thanks again)

Last edited:
Terrific! I had to run all over town to find an oil filter for Walmart to install. Only found one. So I ordered two from Amazon and now have a spare. Same with fuel filters which come in pairs for this engine. They last between 10,000 and 35,000 miles depending on the quality of fuel used. Mine went 30,000 but were pretty black.

Sounds like Advanced Auto is a really deal. I think I paid that much for one filter last summer. There is one nearby. But I think the Fram has a green Dexos label. No matter. They don't offer Pennzoil Euro L, but If that turns out to the the case I'll find something else. Their app doesn't let me enlarge the labels enough to find a blue Dexos label.
Fram 5W-40 is dexos2.

Screenshot_20220506-134220_Advance Auto.jpg

Back