I am considering the Dark Side. Quick Oil Change shops.

I changed the oil in my civic today. I also changed the oil in my Toyota Van a few weeks ago. I literally did not spill a single drop of oil changing my Van's oil and filter. The civic? It has a detestable oil filter mount location. It's one of those filters on the firewall side of the transverse engine. So when the filter comes undone, oil drips down the side of block and in this Civic's case, onto the exhaust pipe. I spilled about a teaspoon of oil. Not horrible compared to my past spill disasters, but still frustrating. The used oil coated my arm, and stained a jacket. I'm just about fed up with these sort of oil filter locations. I believe I am ready to concede. Most of my life, I have been a devoted DIY addict, but for something as mundane and as cheap as an oil change, I believe I am ready. Ready to discard this infuriating chore to a quick oil change shop. I know there is risk of error, but the risk of occurrence seems so low. I will remain DIY for big jobs, but a simple oil change? I think it's time to throw in the towel. Who else has crossed the line from changing your own oil to enlisting oil change shops to descend into the oily abyss?

I was using the Valvoline quick lube shops for years, just out of convenience and not having anyplace good to work on my vehicles. Pandemic made me switch back to doing my own oil and filters. When I went to remove the drain plug and filter that was last touched by the quick lube place, both of them were barely tightened at all. The drain plug could have come off by hand without a socket, it was that loose. The oil filter turned before I even gripped it, when I hit it with my knuckles lightly in the tight space. Either one of these could have come loose on the highway and ruined my engine in short order. Another time years ago, the stupid wrench Hulk in the trench stripped every thread in my oil pan and the shop had to tap in a new one and drive around town to find a new bolt that would work in the drain.

For now on, if I have to use a tire shop or oil change place, I am checking torque right in their parking lot and calling them out for it. I also recently took my truck in for new tires at Discount Tire and they forgot to torque one of my wheels. Each lug took 1/8-1/4 turn to get to 80 pounds. I went back and acted like a total Karen (but justifiably) about leaving a wheel loose. Poor kid doing the wheel torquing must have gotten it good from the manager. LOL

What bothered you the most:

- spilling a teaspoonful of oil
- coating your arm with that teaspoonful of oil
- staining your jacket,
- the really lousy oil filter location, or
- all of the above?

Most of us understand your frustration. The bigger frustration will be in finding a quality oil change shop that can perform the work to your standard(s) and at a price you can live with.

No absolutely don’t do it I used to work at a quick lube place for my first job their are tons of stories I can tell you about them. Some of them are so bad I don’t want to even list them here about what they would do to cars or about our counterfeit oil or about the sketchy company that delivered the oil. I quickly got out of there and went to a dealership I’d stay away from them at all costs.

No absolutely don’t do it I used to work at a quick lube place for my first job their are tons of stories I can tell you about them. Some of them are so bad I don’t want to even list them here about what they would do to cars or about our counterfeit oil or about the sketchy company that delivered the oil. I quickly got out of there and went to a dealership I’d stay away from them at all costs.

oh do tell.

There are some I probably wouldn't trust. That said, I used to work at a Walmart quick lube that was pretty close to a college with a well known auto program. Myself and a couple others worked there while in the program, and most of the other guys were retired mechs.

That shop never had a problem with stripped/loose plugs, filters etc.

I would say do your research because some locations will hire anybody that has a heartbeat and hand them a wrench with almost no training..

oh do tell.
Well if you really want to know. The company that delivered our oil filled up all the tanks with the same hose for each one so all the oil was the same and their was only one tank on the truck period. Most of the time the oil was so dark we suspect it was used. One time it had metal shavings in it. If a customer paid for premium oil they would give them whatever that they felt like. That is if oil even made it in the car they blew an engine in a Volvo by not putting oil in it. They rarely put oil in cars then blamed the younger guys. That’s not even all of them also rounding off and stripping drain plugs too. And the place that delivered the oil wasn’t even a licensed company so I quickly got out after I seen what all they were doing.

I also watch the Walmart guys changing oil while I'm getting tire rotation. They appear to be careful, check the computer for lug nut and crankcase drain bolt torque. I would trust my Walmart for oil and filter changes. I addition, they will go into the store to pick the oil you ask for. Ed

I am not buying it. I suspect the vast majority of people use oil change shops rather than DIY, and I don't hear of engines blowing up because of oil change shops. Of course it is possible, but not a common occurrence. All my family members pay for their oil changes. I am the only one who is DIY.

I am not buying it. I suspect the vast majority of people use oil change shops rather than DIY, and I don't hear of engines blowing up because of oil change shops. Of course it is possible, but not a common occurrence. All my family members pay for their oil changes. I am the only one who is DIY.
Well it’s no joke. So do what you want. I mean not all are like that but mine sure was.

Years ago the local Ford dealer charged $30 for an oil change.

If you brought your own oil and filter, they took off $5 for the oil filter and $3.40 per quart of oil, leaving you to pay $8 for the oil change labor.
That's what I'm talking about! And I don't have to deal with the waste oil!

Back