Am I the only one who can make a mess changing oil?

walterjay

Site Donor 2023
So today I did two oil changes. The first one I wasn't paying attention and when the oil slowed down trickling out it missed the pan and got about a pint all over the floor.
When I went to empty the evacuator into an empty oil jug the funnel slipped off spilling a goodly amount of oil all over the place.
Is it just me? Do others have these issues?
At least I know the oil change was done right.

I change oil from below and have Fumoto valves on my two 8 quart engines - its the cleanest way …
The Lexus is too low and the Jeep off roads - so still plugs …

Yes... Filter dropped into the oil drain pan and oil goes flying. Wind blows the last dribbles of oil onto the floor. Some drips from the drain pan after pouring it into the container that goes to the disposal place. There are oil stains all over my garage floor.

I can remember a couple accidents when it was windy outside . One time I put cardboard down and had the drain pan on top of it and a strong wind came along and the cardboard and drain pan took flight to the neighbors house . Another time while the oil was draining a strong wind came along and changed the path of the oil to miss the pan altogether . Oh Fun

I have learned. I use a huge radiator drain pan now. And I always lay down a tarp for whatever mess might happen.

Back in the seventies, growing up in a small town with gravel streets, most people would take the used oil and dump it on the street after an oil change as dust control. Often wondered because the wells, sewers and cemetery was all at six foot.

I hadn't made a big mess in a long time, until a month ago I was doing an oil change on a buddy's Jeep. I moved the drain pan out of his way since he was putting the filter on. I walked back around the front of the vehicle and stepped right on the side of the drain pan, causing it to dump everywhere all over the garage floor, and soak my shoe/pants in oil. Looked like the BP oil spill.

The biggest mess I’ve made is a Tacoma with an aftermarket skid plate that had a cut out for the plug I got the plug out and it hit that plate and started spewing out both sides I was so angry lol. I didn’t take the plate off because it didn’t need to come off and I didn’t know how big of a mess it would be haha. I know if I see that truck again I’m either not working on it or pulling the plate off haha.

So today I did two oil changes. The first one I wasn't paying attention and when the oil slowed down trickling out it missed the pan and got about a pint all over the floor.
When I went to empty the evacuator into an empty oil jug the funnel slipped off spilling a goodly amount of oil all over the place.
Is it just me? Do others have these issues?
At least I know the oil change was done right.

First couple times I changed the oil in my 2012 Ram Cummins I made a heck of a mess. I used my traditional low profile drain pan like I did every other time. Well the distance was so great it was like a cow pissing on a flat rock! Black diesel oil every where. What a mess. Now I slide a 5 gallon bucket under there and make no more mess.

Just my $0.02

The biggest mess I’ve made is a Tacoma with an aftermarket skid plate that had a cut out for the plug I got the plug out and it hit that plate and started spewing out both sides I was so angry lol. I didn’t take the plate off because it didn’t need to come off and I didn’t know how big of a mess it would be haha. I know if I see that truck again I’m either not working on it or pulling the plate off haha.
Yep, I did a similar thing working on a family member's Kawasaki side by side. Not a good feeling when you pull the drain plug and the oil just starts coming out from all sides of the skid plate. :LOL:

You know those 15qt oil pans that have a drain plug that you must open first for the oil to drain into the pan. I forgot to open the plug & got 15 quarts of oil on the garage floor instead. :oops: The wife sprinkled my chop saw's wood dust to soak it all up over a few days.
I had a buddy years ago, before syntheic was big, bought some Amsoil, forgot to put the drain plug back in the oil pan after he drained the dirty oil out. Put the last quart of Amsoil in and then realized he was standing in oil because the pan over ran.

First couple times I changed the oil in my 2012 Ram Cummins I made a heck of a mess. I used my traditional low profile drain pan like I did every other time. Well the distance was so great it was like a cow pissing on a flat rock! Black diesel oil every where. What a mess. Now I slide a 5 gallon bucket under there and make no more mess.

Just my $0.02
Also helps to take a gallon zip lock bag, put it over the filter while removing it to contain the oil. Ram engines made that filter a pain to remove without making a mess!

Back