Am I the only one who can make a mess changing oil?

Reading about every ones experiences makes me feel a little better. The biggest mess I ever had was when I refilled a lawn mower and forgot to put the oil cap back on. Standing directly over the fill opening I started the engine spraying me and the whole place with oil. That is a lesson I will never forget 🤪

My attempts at clean fluid changes are always inadequate, and universally result in messes. I've also spilled plenty, trying to dump drain pans into jugs, trying to fill jugs from the fluid extractor, having wind catch the stream, dropping oil filters into pans. It's almost comical. Like others, I try to keep several pans, rags, and big pieces of cardboard available to catch as much mess as possible. And I learned the hard way, I never change oil in good clothes, no matter how "simple" it might be.

The worst: I was trying to use my fluid extractor and was unable to get more than 3 qts out. Figuring I'd have to replace the oil, so I could drive the vehicle onto ramps, I then tried reversing it to pump. The 2nd hose attachment was forced off during pumping, resulting in a geyser of oil I could not stop, so I literally had a oil hose spraying oil everywhere - on the engine, on the vehicle, on the ground... what a mess. What do you do with a pressurized oil geyser in your hand? (For those unaware, the best course is to open the air release value, to drop pressure.) It was worthy of a comedy skit. Several instances of fluid pumps or extractors going "rogue" and causing a mess.

Another time, I put my car on a lift, and was changing ATF but I miscalculated and positioned the tall catch pan too close. ATF sprayed out to the side overshooting the target by a foot. Put about 2 qts of ATF on the floor before I could react. Another time, I somehow managed to drive over my oil catch pan, destroying it. Thankfully it was mostly empty.

Last edited:
I've gotten to the point where I can get the oil out of any of my cars without oil hitting the floor. My problems begin when transferring it from my giant drain pan to the empty 5 quart jug. Someday I'll have to sit down and look for a better-designed pan, which will pay for itself when I can stop using materials to clean the messes.

In an attempt to keep hot oil from dripping down my arm, I dropped the oil filter on my Ram, it hit the crossmember or whatever is in the way, tipped over, and promptly spilled all its hot oil all over the member and my arm. And then trying to pick it back up, I tilted it the wrong way spilling the rest of the hot oil out!

I've gotten to the point where I can get the oil out of any of my cars without oil hitting the floor. My problems begin when transferring it from my giant drain pan to the empty 5 quart jug. Someday I'll have to sit down and look for a better-designed pan, which will pay for itself when I can stop using materials to clean the messes.
I have gotten better at this transfer, through trial and error. Here's my feedback.
1. The flat plastic oil pans are often too wobbly. Hard to pour with sufficient precision. I transfer those into a large sturdy wide mouth 3 gallon bucket that has a pour-spout. Much easier to pour from a sturdy bucket.
2. I position my wobbly empty transport jugs (without caps) in a tight box - say 3 to a box - to hold them firm and upright.
3. I put a large mouth funnel on the jugs, and have the jugs face me so I can see the clear line and I fill them about 880% full. Then move to the next jug. Immediately replace the caps of the jugs when full.

* A nice "free" funnel is an empty 1.75L plastic liquor bottle. Cut off the bottom, wash it out. Works great.

The mityvac skips most of the drain drama, but the potential for a mess exists every time you handle the stuff.
I've found the fluid extractors, with their little oil filled spring-like whips, can be more messy sometimes. See my story above. Almost every time I use an extractor, that whip just flings oil around. Transferring into jugs can get messy too if air pressure isn't regulated carefully. And it always retains oil so it has to be hung up to drip... They are really quite messy in ways other than traditional oil changes are.

Many years ago someone I knew was getting ready to pour the new oil in. He stopped to get a rag and left the open jug on the radiator cover. He turned back around and knocked the jug over. Oil went over the front of the engine.

He got a neighbor to drive him to the auto parts store for another jug after he cleaned up the mess. After finishing up he start the engine and oil sprayed all over his shop from the belts and such slinging it. That engine smoked for a while too.

Years later you can still see the spots where the oil hit the ceiling and upper walls.

I have gotten better at this transfer, through trial and error. Here's my feedback.
1. The flat plastic oil pans are often too wobbly. Hard to pour with sufficient precision. I transfer those into a large sturdy wide mouth 3 gallon bucket that has a pour-spout. Much easier to pour from a sturdy bucket.
2. I position my wobbly empty transport jugs (without caps) in a tight box - say 3 to a box - to hold them firm and upright.
3. I put a large mouth funnel on the jugs, and have the jugs face me so I can see the clear line and I fill them about 880% full. Then move to the next jug. Immediately replace the caps of the jugs when full.

* A nice "free" funnel is an empty 1.75L plastic liquor bottle. Cut off the bottom, wash it out. Works great.
My issue with the pan is that it's rectangular with a half-arsed pour spout molded into one of the rounded corners. The pour spout is easily overwhelmed by the flow of oil if you try to pour faster than snail speed, and the oil jumps over the edge of the pan, runs down the sides and misses the funnel, even though it's huge. It's designed for somebody who wants to stand there and pour slowly, and I'm really the wrong consumer for that. I love the huge capacity, and it isn't floppy at all, but the poor spout is terrible.

I've found the fluid extractors, with their little oil filled spring-like whips, can be more messy sometimes. See my story above. Almost every time I use an extractor, that whip just flings oil around. Transferring into jugs can get messy too if air pressure isn't regulated carefully. And it always retains oil so it has to be hung up to drip... They are really quite messy in ways other than traditional oil changes are.
My unit only creates negative pressure - it does not pump out out it must be poured out.
Yeah if the whips aren't handled very carefully they can become a mess.

I generally don't make a mess with my current set up, but sometimes it happens no matter how careful I try to be.

Kitty Litter and a yellow liquid called "Awesome" are staples of my oil change extravaganzas.

One for the driveway and the other for my clothes. Every time my confidence level of not getting
any oil on the driveway and on my shirt or pants begins so high. Yet it ends so low.

I have made a lot of spills, not when draining from vehicles, but transferring oil from the drain pan to 5 quart jugs to hold the oil. Usually I accidentally overfill or the spout gets dislodged, blah blah. I hate making an oily mess. I need to find a better system from transferring the oil.

I installed a Fumoto on the Tundra solely because of the mess it made. The drain plug is nearly two feet off the ground. The oil splashes all over.

I once changed the oil in my driveway (before I had my shop) and the wind caught the stream of oil and spread it everywhere. I mean everywhere.

Huge mess.
EF4D2F92-6AB5-4BED-BFFB-1EB093A9A06F.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep. Zero mess with Fumoto.

I use an empty gallon bottle of washer fluid and drain directly into jug without hose.

Yes! That is exactly what I do, as well.

Advantage of windshield wiper bottle is the plastic seems thicker walled than an empty gallon or milk jug, if presumably you are draining hot oil. No mess, can close the valve if you're approaching 4 quarts (slight angle to jug,) 2nd jug at ready, ready for disposal.

Pretty much my plan of attack when baselining to HPL in May.. I have the Fumoto valve.

The Ford gets old fashioned 17mm wrench, I presently have a 12-point wrench not 6 point as I would prefer, comes out in a straight shot and doesn't hit anything. I have repurposed a kitchen Tupperware container for oil. Either stop mid-way to empty as it is only 3 quart capacity, or use a second to again prepare for disposal.

Mess is minimal. Taking off the oil filter, even with an Oil Udder, produces more mess than the oil whether it splashes or not. Angle of Ford oil filter guarantees mess. Goes right on the starter, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I’m at the local recycling center I keep an eye on the cardboard recycling bins. If someone tosses a refrigerator box I’ll grab it and at home cut it into four huge pieces of cardboard. Two go under the front of the vehicle and one under the driver’s side from which I can reach the oil filter. I use a good sized plastic oil pan. Messes still happen and I replace the cardboard once or twice a year.

Back