Hyundai Santa Fe and Ford Escape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Maximus1966
Originally Posted By: bradepb
All I can say is my Escape is the best vehicle I have owned. I have had zero and I mean zero issues at 10 years 111,000 miles . Nothing but maintenance items and it still drives almost like new,everything works. I am afraid I will come out one day and the car will have self destructed, never had a car like this.

The problem is that they weren't making the current Escape 10 years ago. Only the name is the same.

Agreed , I would not chance the new version till they have been out awhile

[/quote]Can't say I had the same experience with my '02 Escape V6, AWD. After 8 years and 80,000 miles (well cared for), it just became too unreliable, new trans, convertor, COP dying - traded it for a 2010 Corolla.[/quote]

The early ones did have converter chatter issues, I drain and fill every 15,000 and would agree the trans is the week link on the escape. (fingers crossed)

I actually like the look of both, but I like the Santa Fe more.
I have not driven a new one though, and I have driven a 2013 Escape 1.6T. It was decent that's for sure, but Focus sized in the front seats, so its definitely a small SUV.

Are we talking brand-new or new to her?

Problem with most of the recommendations either way, is they're from previous model years. The new Escape is a completely different vehicle in all aspects of previous models. Same with with the Santa Fe.

I owned a 2008 Santa Fe AWD and loved it. I had some issues, but bought it well-used. The only thing that keeps me away from Hyundai these days is they're priced right along with everything else.

More Ford dealers handy if caught with a problem while on a trip , this is one thing to consider when purchasing any vehicle , having service handy is golden .

I've heard good and bad about both , do some online research and take the reviews with a grain of salt . Longevity of any vehicle has a lot to do with driving conditions , how it's driven and how it's maintained .

I'm partial to Fords so I'll not make any comments on choice .

I've had a 2005 Santa Fe since 2006. Great SUV and nice warranty. That would be my choice!

The early ones did have converter chatter issues, I drain and fill every 15,000 and would agree the trans is the week link on the escape. (fingers crossed)

Did the drain and refill every 10,000 miles. Didn't help mine live.

Knock on wood, the wife's 03 still has the original trans at 136k. Flush/fill every 30k and it still shifts fine. There have been a few minor things but it's been very reliable.

Wife drives a 01 Escape and its been 99.99% in town driving for about 6 or so years now, now that we have multiple vehicles.
It has 126k, only one big maintenance when it hit 103k. Tranny flush once (last year). Only issue has been the fuel pump replacement once.
I was going to get her a newer or something else a couple years ago but she said no way. It doesn't get many miles a year and gets oil change once a year now.
Everything on it works and still drive like when we got it back around 42k. Seems kind of an abused SUV because we never thought we'd keep it long. I've seen her haul brick, & rock like a truck.
It only gets on a highway about every other year when I check it out then on to the smog test... always passed easy too or for tires.
Although I very rarely drive it (smog, tires), it's been good. She still doesn't want anything else. I added a 2010 Tucson to the fleet not long ago (May) and she won't even try driving it. So now it's my to/from work and weekend runner. (over 1 hour 1-way/work). The Camry she has only driven once. She did drive the pickup a couple times.
I tried to get the wife looking at the Juke, Mazda 3 or something and she won't bat a eye on anything smaller.
I don't get it but I kind of gave up trying to figure her out years ago.
Although I mainly drive the 2010 Tucson, her sister drives a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe. She has racked up a lot of miles since she is retired and seems to travel states a lot visiting family & friends. Talked to her about a month ago and she hasn't had a issue with it and just loves it.
Maybe next year I'll bring up a newer escape or something, but I think it has to die, wreck, burn, something before she'll pull a little interest for something.

I have an 09 with the 3.3 and have had no problems.same with my 2010 sonata.and that is my sixth Hyundai. had a few problems with my 2001 xg 300 but were taken care of by the dealer.

Originally Posted By: ernied
I have an 09 with the 3.3 and have had no problems.

I personally think 2008-09 are the sweet spot for the Santa Fe in regards to using well proven powertrains that were around for some time. You can't beat the 2.7L w/ 4spd AT or 3.3L w/ 5spd auto. 2010+ is when they began changing things up year after year. The 3.3 / 5spd AT is a bit nicer because of no timing belt and it gets about the same MPGs as the 2.7.

Last edited:
We looked at the new Escapes but are pretty much settled on the CX-5. I have a Fiesta and I really like the SelectShift 6-speed dual clutch, but it is a mixed bag of reviews for that tranny. It is rough, sporty, and noisy in my 1.6L Fiesta. I am pretty sure the Escape has the bigger version and it did not seem noisy at all during my test drive.

Also, think about this if you are looking at small turbocharged GDI engines (e.g. EcoBoost): Low-Speed Pre-Ignition! GF-6 is slated to have a new engine test for LSPI with guess what engine: 2.0L Ecoboost

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: Ken42
Think grandkids
wink.gif

Also the Hyundai has a better warranty.

And she'll most likely need it. It was just a few years ago that Hyundai was a cheaply built entry level car. Until they prove themselves with long lasting, reliable cars, I'd avoid them.

Have you ever owned or driven one? You seem to bash them in posts a lot..

I don't own one. A few friends do, and they seem to have a lot of trouble. Transmission, CV joints, body and interior pieces falling off, and rust. Lots of people rave about the quality of Hyundai/Kia. I don't see it.

Think grandkids
wink.gif

And she'll most likely need it. It was just a few years ago that Hyundai was a cheaply built entry level car. Until they prove themselves with long lasting, reliable cars, I'd avoid them.

You are behind the times, Hyundai HAS proven themselves. I wouldnt "rave" about the quality, but whatever issues you have (which wont be many) should be covered under the great warranty they have.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Think grandkids
wink.gif

You are behind the times, Hyundai HAS proven themselves.

Your entitled to your opinion, and I disagree. I ask how have they proven themselves? I don't see many older Hyundai/Kia still on the road. Many of the ones I know that are owned by friends have problems very early on. As I said before, just a few years ago, they were cheaply made entry level cars. Has that changed? A local dealer is offering Kia Souls for $12,500. How many corner does the manufacturer have to cut to sell a car for that cheap?
Are the new cars better? They might be, but until I see it, I'll avoid them.

Have they proven themselves? 10 NH winters, 200kmile lifespan? Or better?

My needs are not typical, but that is my sticking point on these models.

Originally Posted By: jake88
We looked at the new Escapes but are pretty much settled on the CX-5. I have a Fiesta and I really like the SelectShift 6-speed dual clutch, but it is a mixed bag of reviews for that tranny. It is rough, sporty, and noisy in my 1.6L Fiesta. I am pretty sure the Escape has the bigger version and it did not seem noisy at all during my test drive.

I believe the Escape has the regular old 6F35 transmission.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: jake88

I believe the Escape has the regular old 6F35 transmission.

Since they rebuilt the model it has been the new tranny. http://www.ford.com/suvs/escape/specifications/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back