Hyundai / Kia 2.4L Theta ll success stories ?

the differential can be changed, and the transfer case. 14k is just a very bad quote. but 5 years warranty = 5 years warranty.
Yes, but when something is clearly a manufacturing defect that should not have happened a bit of goodwill from the brand to the Customer should be forthcoming.

well, the dealer gets a goodwill budget per year, which they can spend as they see fit. Is that a loyal customer, if no you can forget goodwill. In any case the goodwill budget is only a few k.

well, the dealer gets a goodwill budget per year, which they can spend as they see fit. Is that a loyal customer, if no you can forget goodwill. In any case the goodwill budget is only a few k.
Well they had all the work it ever needed done by the same dealer so I would say that makes him loyal yes. He was even in the process of ordering a new Tuscan with the very same dealer and the salesman tried to get the service team to help on the repair. It comes down to cost like you say. They didn’t even bother to put a exact cost quote together stating a new gearbox and transfer box is 14k but we may be able to work on that. I know if I diagnose a car I price it’s repair exactly none of this well it may cost this and that.
Just poor customer service. It’s the difference between a brand that wants to keep its customers and one that is happy that you bought once.

the spline issues have been around for a decade, nothings been done about it. The splines just rust away, usually it's limited to the transfer case only, but especially automatic transmissions can have damaged differentials.

2018 optima ex 2.4...got an excellent deal on this car $13.9k+tax with 28k miles on it practically brand new but paint needed some TLC. Has every option leather, BSM, etc except sunroof and nav. Car is much smoother than gf 2018 camry 2.5.

I was looking at Accords or Toyotas...similar spec was 10-12k more. Base Accord with similar mileage was around 4k more. I needed a car ASAP so it was either this or a base Civic lx 2.0 for 13.5k. No brainer.

Only complaint here was the tranny was underfilled out of the box. 2 D&F later with Maxlife ATF smooth as butter...No complaints on the engine, smooth quiet by typical GDI issues. The injectors are noisy as hell when cold. Not selling this car anytime soon, especially given the knock sensor warranty on the engine.

My uncles got a 2008 kia optima 2.4 with over 250k, mostly highway though. Seems like a production issue with certain years.

Last edited:
My wife's 16 sonata w/2.4L has burned at least 1qt or more per 1000 miles since we got it at 55k. I have to check it weekly and its always down. Tried everything...hdeo, syn, conventional, just dump oil in it when it needs, now at about 108K

My mother's 2012 Sonata doesn't use oil at 120k. Interestingly, my 2016 with the 3.3 burned so much that I traded it in. 2 quarts per 1k miles they said was normal lol

He may have broken them himself but I’m sorry they don’t. I’m a Audi master tech so know what goes wrong in there engines. It’s easy to break a piston ring and go oh look that’s broken. Not scraping the oil off the cylinders and causing the engine to burn oil, now that’s a different topic entirely.
Just going by what the Audi tech told me.
He said they are prone to breaking, and had already done numerous re-rings during that month.
Also numerous videos and articles across the internet confirms that breaking rings is an issue that audi had for this gen engine.

2018 optima ex 2.4...got an excellent deal on this car $13.9k+tax with 28k miles on it practically brand new but paint needed some TLC. Has every option leather, BSM, etc except sunroof and nav. Car is much smoother than gf 2018 camry 2.5.

I was looking at Accords or Toyotas...similar spec was 10-12k more. Base Accord with similar mileage was around 4k more. I needed a car ASAP so it was either this or a base Civic lx 2.0 for 13.5k. No brainer.

Only complaint here was the tranny was underfilled out of the box. 2 D&F later with Maxlife ATF smooth as butter...No complaints on the engine, smooth quiet by typical GDI issues. The injectors are noisy as hell when cold. Not selling this car anytime soon, especially given the knock sensor warranty on the engine.

My uncles got a 2008 kia optima 2.4 with over 250k, mostly highway though. Seems like a production issue with certain years.
Our 2019 Santa Fe was underfilled from the factory as well.

When you did yout trans drain and fill - did you disconnect the battery after, or just drive and let the trans relearn?

When you did yout trans drain and fill - did you disconnect the battery after, or just drive and let the trans relearn?
No, that will not do a re-learn. Once I finally got my OBD2 bt adapter, i used Car Scanner on android to do the TCM relearn and get the correct temperature for the level check. It has a special function when you select your car model. I knew my trans was underfilled because the 2-3 flaring went away when cold. Had this problem before the fluid was ever changed, still had this problem after 2 D&F with the incorrect level. I topped up with 3/4 quart and did a level check according to temps on the OBD2 +app and the flaring issues went away.

NO. It's Hyundai Motors who was/is stepping up. My son had a Sonata and got notice to have his motor inspected, by the local dealer where he never before visited. The dealer told him it was OK. After 100,000 miles the motor failed. He contacted the dealer-who contact Hyundai and THE FACTORY/Hyundai Corporate authorized the motor (this was well before the court thing). The motor took a couple of weeks to get in-they put him in a near new rental Malibu for the duration of the repair/wait on parts.

Yea-they have issues-but unlike some manufacturers-Hyundai fixed it.

So-there is a FIRST HAND STORY.

No, that will not do a re-learn. Once I finally got my OBD2 bt adapter, i used Car Scanner on android to do the TCM relearn and get the correct temperature for the level check. It has a special function when you select your car model. I knew my trans was underfilled because the 2-3 flaring went away when cold. Had this problem before the fluid was ever changed, still had this problem after 2 D&F with the incorrect level. I topped up with 3/4 quart and did a level check according to temps on the OBD2 +app and the flaring issues went away.
Thanks - - - The App is called Car Scanner?
I tried using Torque Pro - - but can't find anything about TCM relearn.

NO. It's Hyundai Motors who was/is stepping up. My son had a Sonata and got notice to have his motor inspected, by the local dealer where he never before visited. The dealer told him it was OK. After 100,000 miles the motor failed. He contacted the dealer-who contact Hyundai and THE FACTORY/Hyundai Corporate authorized the motor (this was well before the court thing). The motor took a couple of weeks to get in-they put him in a near new rental Malibu for the duration of the repair/wait on parts.

Within warranty?

Remember in Europe there's a 5 year conditional warranty on hyundais.

They certainly are not stepping up and fixing vehicles in the uk. I wouldn’t buy one as genuine parts are expensive and aftermarket are poor quality. I10 lower suspension arm from the main dealer £350 aftermarket £70 but not quite the same size so camber is now out of spec.

No thanks not for me.

Remember in America they will give you extended warranty on these engines as known problem because they will get sued into doing it. In Europe we have no such luck.

Back