Hyundai / Kia 2.4L Theta II GDI Engine Best Oil Sweet Spot

I doubt oil grade is going to change anything to prevent the rod bearing problems. If the passage is clogged, bearing will fail eventually. The noise test done by the dealer should have detected it already anyway.

I check the PCV and do a GDI cleaning every year. I use 0w20 full synthetic every 6000 km (anything on sale: mainly Pennzoil, Castrol or Shell) in my 2015 Optima and it's working perfectly: no strange noise, no oil consumption. This car does a lot of stop and go and short trips during Canadian winter. No complaint so far.
*0W20 or 5W20 scares me in the Theta II 2.4L GDI , I bumped up to 5W30 synthetic oil for the higher HTHS as well as to guard against fuel dilution of the GDI engine.

In our 13 Sonata 2.4L, i like to use Mobil 1 synthetic EP 5W20 in winter, and Mobil 1 EP 5W30 in summer & OEM Hyundai filter. 50K miles, no oil consumption, and change it every 5-6K miles. The engine sound very smooth and happy lol.
A year later, and my outlook changed slightly. I now use 5W30 Synthetic year round with a OEM filter.

This is on both the Forte 2.4L and Sonata 2.4l DI. Sonata now has 67K miles, zero consumption, and engine pulls, and sounds just like new. The Forte is not DI, and also has no oil consumption per oil change interval, and sounds fantastic for the age and miles.

I change the oil every 5500-6200 miles, 2 to 3 times on the sonata per year, and twice on the kia per year. and again on Hyundai 2.4l engine OEM filters all the way. I used a m1 oil filter for 200 miles this past OC, and I was about to make appt a dealer for a engine check over haha. the valves sounded that bad on the forte. Changed out for OEM, and the valve tick went completely away.

I've been running 5w20 because that's what the filler cap said, but the consumption has been way too much.

I'm on '12 Sonata with the 2.4L, 135k. Getting ready to do an intake spray cleaning and swap PCV for the first time ever.

Should I go with 5w30 after this? Or jump straight to 10w40? I'm in Iowa so pretty cold winters
I certainly would go to 5w30....probably a high-mileage version.
I know that in the 08' Elantra and 08' Sonata that I serviced both seemed to prefer 5w30 from an NVH prospective. (neither had consumption issues worth mentioning...maybe 1/3 of a quart if the OCI went beyond 5K.) The 2013 Kia Optima 2.4 was a different story....it used oil until I put 5w40 in the sump.

Last edited:
What about using a product like Ceretec on your next oil.

It creates and leaves a solid film boundary layer for a while.
Help those bearings.

OP here : '17 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L GDI (non turbo) engine now has just shy of 50K miles . I've decided for this engine (like previous posters have said) a shorter OCI is more important than the oil used - as long as a 5W20 / 5W30 D1 - Gen 3 , SP rated oil . *I do believe this Theta II engine plays nicer with Valvoline Advanced / EP and Quaker State Full Synthetic / EP because of the increased moly content . Still , with mixed city / highway driving , by the time I hit 4,000 miles / 4 ~ 5 months the oil is black with soot and "fragrant" when I'm underneath observing a drain . (insert picture of me wearing WWI mustard gas mask here. :) ) With what essentially is a severe service OCI - I believe this Theta II thrashes oil like it invented the term. Lastly , I believe I'm better off using a Fram Ultra XG#9688 oil filter versus the Hyundai OEM blue oil filter - the flow rate and filtering effeciency is noted to be a better oil filter than the Hyundai OEM oil filter plus I have zero start up noise , ticking or anything else oil filter related . Lastly for today , I want to try the new M1 Tripple Action 5W30 SP D1 - Gen 3 synthetic oil for one OCI just to see (great oil from threads here on BITOG). Still , the Valvoline Advanced / EP 5W30 and Quaker State Full Synthetic / EP 5W30 get high marks for at least being the quietest oils I have run in the Theta II 2.4 GDI engine to date and that is not likely to change.

What about using a product like Ceretec on your next oil.

It creates and leaves a solid film boundary layer for a while.
Help those bearings.
Using Ceratec in both cars, as well as daughter's '08 Acura. Plan is to not add more Ceratec or Moly for next 20k miles or so. It seems to be doing its job, actually.

Back