Hyundai Ioniq 5 pulls off 2022 World Car of the Year hat trick -autoblog.com

wemay

Site Donor 2023

"The EV took home the big one, along with design and EV awards" -autoblog.com​

Other awards:

World Luxury Car of the Year: 2022 Mercedes-Benz EQS

World Performance Car of the Year: 2022 Audi E-Tron GT

World Urban Car of the Year: 2022 Toyota Yaris Cross

If it doesn't have pistons, I don't want it. Regardless of how many trophies they give it, or medals they stick on it.

OR-the 90% fewer moving parts than an ICE machine. This Mercedes just went over 600 miles on a SINGLE CHARGE. Over the "bladder range" of many.

The electric cars are coming BITOGers.....

OR-the 90% fewer moving parts than an ICE machine. This Mercedes just went over 600 miles on a SINGLE CHARGE. Over the "bladder range" of many.

For me it's the fall asleep range. Usually after 100 miles I start to nod off. Have to get out and run around the car a few times then I'm good for another 100!

Let's see it do the 445 miles from Bismarck to Minneapolis in January, when it's -25 F.
It would seem if it's 600 miles normally-what affect would cold weather have? If it's 50%-that's still 300 miles of range with a 10 to 20 minute stop to refuel. In addition-cold weather range issues will be solved eventually.
I mean everyone can "kick and scream" but they are coming.....90% fewer moving parts.....

It would seem if it's 600 miles normally-what affect would cold weather have? If it's 50%-that's still 300 miles of range with a 10 to 20 minute stop to refuel.In addition-cold weather range issues will be solved eventually.
I mean everyone can "kick and scream" but they are coming.....90% fewer moving parts.....

You ask, "What effect would the cold weather have"?..... Then you turn right around and acknowledge, "The cold weather range issues will be solved eventually".

Perhaps, but eventually we'll all be dead.

And it's not the range or charge time that is the current problem. It's going to be the electrical grid collapse, when everyone is mandated to drive one of these things. They've got the cart way in front of the horse.

And no one is addressing it, because they're all too busy talking about how wonderful these things are.

The electric cars are coming BITOGers.....
"If it doesn't have 1,000 range and charge in 30 seconds, it's just not a valid product".

The goalpost shifts will never stop.

I'm sure some folks felt the same way when these new-fangled things rendered their horses obsolete.

"If it doesn't have 1,000 range and charge in 30 seconds, it's just not a valid product".

The goalpost shifts will never stop.

No one is saying that. Stop being blind to reality. California's power grid is stressed to the max, just as it sits now. They are plagued with brownouts, and rolling blackouts every time the hot weather hits, and people crank up the A/C.... Which is every Summer.

California is also the one pushing the hardest with all of these silly, insane electric car mandates. Along with wanting to outright BAN gasoline powered vehicles. That's preposterous.

If everyone in that state is forced into buying an EV because of government mandates, and they can no longer drive their gas car, the entire electrical power grid will collapse. It's already strained beyond it's breaking point as it currently sits.

Again, this is the cart before the horse. You have to be able to produce the additional power, BEFORE you inject hundreds of thousands of additional vehicles that will draw on it beyond it's capabilities.

California, along with every other state that's pushing these things, is doing nothing of the sort. They're all to busy screaming, "green"!

And remember, the same crowd who is pushing for all of this "green" EV crap, are the same one's who HATE nuclear energy, or any power plant that runs on fossil fuel. So where is the power going to come from to run your electric wonder machines?

No one is saying that. Stop being blind to reality. California's power grid is stressed to the max, just as it sits now. They are plagued with brownouts, and rolling blackouts every time the hot weather hits, and people crank up the A/C.... Which is every Summer.

California is also the one pushing the hardest with all of these silly, insane electric car mandates. Along with wanting to outright BAN gasoline powered vehicles. That's preposterous.

If everyone in that state is forced into buying an EV because of government mandates, and they can no longer drive their gas car, the entire electrical power grid will collapse. It's already strained beyond it's breaking point as it currently sits.

Again, this is the cart before the horse. You have to be able to produce the additional power, BEFORE you inject hundreds of thousands of additional vehicles that will draw on it beyond it's capabilities.

California, along with every other state that's pushing these things, is doing nothing of the sort. They're all to busy screaming, "green"!

And remember, the same crowd who is pushing for all of this "green" EV crap, are the same one's who HATE nuclear energy, or any power plant that runs on fossil fuel. So where is the power going to come from to run your electric wonder machines?
While your points may be valid all these issues will be addressed. These problems are not insurmountable nor permanent.

I could care less about being green, although if its a side benefit thats great.

I'm as worried about the where electricity comes from as I am about where the oil all will come from,
Ive been listening to people my whole life claiming we could never meet that demand either.
Remember in the 70's it was a " crisis". (lol) the crisis ended the minute prices went up.

You can make electricity lots of ways using lots of different fuels, or even no fuel at all with solar.

What is the downtime really, how often does it actually occur? What are the real numbers?
I'm probably in one of the worst place in California for grid reliability and have had several PSPS preemptive outages occur I still have over 99% uptime and I can still charge my car if I need to with a whole house generator.

Does cal need to get and keep their act in gear - yes they do.

No, but there has to be a lot of attitudes adjusted before that can even begin to take place. I'm not seeing that happening.
It would seem if the powers that be want EVs on the road and the power grid needs to be updated....you can't have one without the other and attitudes would need to change for this step to be taken. Am I wrong in my thinking?

Car of the year, best XX of the year mean next to nothing to me. Look back at the archives for these for any major auto publication/orgs "best" awards and about half revealed themselves to be absolute crap cars within 5 years.

blah blah blah, blah blau.....
The post of this thread was about the Ioniq, and then you launch into a diatribe about CA's power grid and how a state in which you don't live is stealing your freedoms. I get it, "they'll pry your pistons from your cold dead hands" or something like that...

Newsflash: auto manufacturers are also abandoning ICE vehicles, so a ban on new car sales 13 years from now is not out of line with reality.

Oil is not an infinite resource, and as we've seen global oil prices are a fickle thing. Does the electric grid need to be improved in a lot of places and CA specifically? Yes, it does. But since I've spend my entire life in this country, I've seen that infrastructure changes don't happen without a solid push in the back. We're a country addicted to crisis management. Personally, I think it's a good move. Though I question how necessary it even is, since auto manufacturers are already headed there.

Back