Hyundai 2023 SmartStream 1.6T-GDI Excessively Frequent Recommended OCI?

2022 Palisaide 3.8L
2023 Sonata SE 2.5L

Both are recommended to have 8000/12mo or 5k/6mo

Last edited:
2022 Palisaide 3.8L
2023 Sonata SE 2.5L

2022 Palisaide 3.8L
2023 Sonata SE 2.5L

You are moving up in the Florida sunshine.
Did you get a nice raise at work? Those (2) you currently own - I'd like the same in my driveway.
I miss having a full size and also miss toting kids around during my minivan's 1-1/2 decades.

Your 5K OCIs are perfect for the Palisaides and Sonata.

You are moving up in the Florida sunshine.
Did you get a nice raise at work? Those (2) you currently own - I'd like the same in my driveway.
I miss having a full size and also miss toting kids around during my minivan's 1-1/2 decades.

Your 5K OCIs are perfect for the Palisaides and Sonata.
Thanks @Triple_Se7en. The wife's Santa Fe had run its course with ~240k + miles. She loved the Palisade and did the trade. I got a great offer for the Accent and couldn't resist the Sonata. Appreciate the kind words.

My car is at 130 km odometer. My plan is to do a first change at 1,000 km as a rinse, fill with PUP 0W-20, drain at 9,000 km and do a UOA. I was originally hoping during the purchase process to stretch the interval to at least 10,000 km. But I'm revisiting that based on the comments so far.

What specifically about the SmartStream 1.6T lends itself to being prone to fuel dilution, compared to, say the older 2.0T Ecoboost on my older Focus ST (where fuel dilution was not a problem, and 16,000 km OCI's recommended by Ford)? Is it the thinner grade oil (0W-20) being used on the SmartStream 1.6T?
That would be my guess. It could have something to do with how the oil is used to cool/spray pistons as well. Personally, I feel that manufacturers are at limits to what they are asking oil to do given that they keep pushing engines to check every box on the wish list. That said, if this were my car I would follow the manufacturer’s recommendations to the T. Use OEM approved products and document everything if you aren’t taking it to the dealer.

Timing chain? And GDI only? And keeping the car long term?

If no to the 3rd, carry on, it won't matter.

If yes to all 3, then if it were me, I would rethink the position. UOA's don't show intake valve deposits being created by oil being broken down. They also don't generally show soot loading in the oil, which chews on the timing chains. If you're not keeping the car past 100k miles (160km) then it won't matter. If you're keeping it long term, you might be setting yourself up for expensive parts swapping and cleaning down the road.

Although, long term, I don't think there's anything you can do about intake valve deposits in a pure GDI engine. I think all of us with one of those are going to have to pony up for a walnut blasting at some point.

This is sound advice. It seems that OCI considerations my have more to do with dispersants life than fuel dilution/viscosity. This from Machinery Lube’s website:
“”
In other research, Lubrizol assessed the effect of various soot loads on the component wear. Their results suggest that increasing soot load does not necessarily affect the wear rate (see Figure 5) as long as dispersancy performance remains good.

The researchers found in a study of roller follower wear on engines with increasing soot levels that the rate of wear is sporadic and not systematically related to the soot level. Conversely, they did find that dispersant level significantly affects the rate at which wear is generated.

On that note, at my local CTC store, PUP and PP of the same grade is perpetually on sale. If given the same grade (either 0W-20 or 5W-20), would you run PP (Dexos 1 Gen 3) or PUP (non-Dexos 1 Gen3)? As i mentioned, SOPUS does not have a Dexos 1 Gen 3 product in their PUP range for either 0W-20 or 5W-20 at least here in Canada.

Back